Submitting Secondary before LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaramelDlite

Academic Gangsta
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there really a point to submitting secondaries before your LORs if you won't be considered complete until they arrive?

Members don't see this ad.

CaramelDlite said:
Is there really a point to submitting secondaries before your LORs if you won't be considered complete until they arrive?

It's to your benefit to getting anything in as early as possible. You won't be complete until you submit your LORs, but there's no reason not send the secondary if it's complete.

CaramelDlite said:

Depends on the school... Some don't ask for LORs unless they want to interview you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why wouldn't you send it in your secondaries before your LORs arrive?! That way, when they do arrive you'll be complete. Many people submit their secondaries before their AMCAS is even verified.
CaramelDlite said:

Don't you want to get rid of secondaries? I'm always happy when I send another one out.

deuist said:
Can you name one school that asks for a secondary but not rec letters?

Univeristy of Michigan. They request LORs either after they have reviewed your secondary or when you're granted an interview.

I was granted an interview at Pitt right after submitting the secondary, even though my school won't send out LORs for another few weeks.

TSK said:
Why wouldn't you send it in your secondaries before your LORs arrive?! That way, when they do arrive you'll be complete. Many people submit their secondaries before their AMCAS is even verified.

But isnt the opposite of this statement true also?? Why don't you wait for you LORs to arrive (i.e. be uploaded onto VirtualEvals) and then submit your secondary so you're complete? I mean sure, submit the secondary if youre done but if your recs dont come till sept. whats the rush?

For me, like most ppl, my LORs will be the time limiting factor in my apps being complete. My LORs will arrive at schools in mid August but I've been getting secondaries for over a month now. What's the merit in neglecting them when I could be working on them? But hey suit yourself...

CaramelDlite said:
But isnt the opposite of this statement true also?? Why don't you wait for you LORs to arrive (i.e. be uploaded onto VirtualEvals) and then submit your secondary so you're complete? I mean sure, submit the secondary if youre done but if your recs dont come till sept. whats the rush?

Ok you have two things to need to be complete at many schools, secondaries and LOR's. So at some point your application becomming complete will depend on one or the other not being verified yet.

So send in either as fast as you can and you will become complete as quickly as possible, regardless of which one you're sending in first.