Submitting without spring grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LifeLineBlue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I am currently a Junior and I am trying to decide whether or not I should submit my application earlier without my spring quarter grades. Since I'm on the quarter system, my official transcript won't be updated with my spring grades until late June. Would it be better if I waited for my spring grades even though I currently have around 162 units (which includes ~33.5 units from AP courses and community college courses)? Thanks guys! :)

Members don't see this ad.

The first batch isn't sent out until the last week of June and June/July is considered "early". You can afford to wait for your Spring grades but it is ultimately your decision.

Would it harm my application if I only have 8 quarters of coursework? Say compared to someone who waited to submit their spring grades and has 9 quarters of coursework?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha we are on the same boat. I literally just made a similar thread about this today. I currently have made 174 units as a Junior, and I made the decision to wait for spring grades. But I don't know if my spring grades are going to drag me down or not so now I am reconsidering. If you think your spring grades will be good, then definitely wait for spring because yeah we don't have a whole lot of coursework (Even though I have enough units to graduate at my uni this quarter). The more courses you have, the less "risk" adcom will have to take and therefore more comfortable they would be at accepting you. However, if you are a 4.0 with high DAT student anyways, then it doesn't really matter because they know that you can handle their school's coursework.

Well that also depends on what classes you are taking this quarter too though. I am personally taking three biology classes so it should help strength my application because my DAT biology was my lowest science.

Oh! I should have looked at your post first haha! But im glad to know I'm not the only one dealing with this. :confused: I guess i will decide once my finals come around and see if my grades turn out okay. One more thing though, is there like a minimum unit requirement to apply? I can't seem to find a concrete answer anywhere.

I just recently saw UDM's website and so I will just show you what they say: "Applicants to the School of Dentistry must have received credit for at least two years of college (a minimum of 60 semester or 90 quarter hours). However, most accepted applicants have four years of predental education (120-128 semester or 180-192 quarter hours completed at a four-year college or university), having minimally obtained a Bachelor's degree. "

At 162 units, you are well above the minimal requirement. I know sophomores who are applying to dental schools. As far as unit requirement goes, you are fine for every school.

My school is on the quarter system ad well. And i submitted my app AFTER my spring grades were posted. My app was submitted early July and I was still a part of the "early batch" for some schools.

If I were on an admissions committee, I would think it was sketchy if someone submitted transcripts before their spring grades were in. You can easily afford to wait, and you'll still be early. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I would say wait on the grades and overnight the transcript if you really feel you need to. You'll still end up being early. :)

Do you think I should submit with spring grades regardless of how well I do in my current courses?

Are you expecting not to do well? I guess it would depend on how badly you were expecting to do? Not sure what to say about this.

So my spring grades recently came out and unfortunately my GPA dropped by 0.02. Would it be wise to submit with my current GPA without the spring grades and do the academic update later on? Or should I just send my transcript with my lowered GPA?

...0.02 is nothing, is this a serious question? You'll look like you're hiding something if you submit without spring grades, it would be unwise of you to do so.

I was just asking because I received a C+ in one of my classes this quarter. But I guess it would seem sketchy if I did not include it on my transcript.. Thanks