SubQ/IM pharmacokinetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WheezyBaby

RSV Fomite
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a brief read on the matter? I've had a few questions come up and feel like i need a refresher (e.g. I'm assuming you get different absorption for 80 mg lovenox at one site vs 40 mg x2 at 2 sites; I'd also assume expected pharmacokinetics for weight based dosing breaks down at the extreme highs/lows; different pharmacokinetics at different sites, etc)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone suggest a brief read on the matter? I've had a few questions come up and feel like i need a refresher (e.g. I'm assuming you get different absorption for 80 mg lovenox at one site vs 40 mg x2 at 2 sites; I'd also assume expected pharmacokinetics for weight based dosing breaks down at the extreme highs/lows; different pharmacokinetics at different sites, etc)

Thanks!
In the ADME of kinetics, you're looking at potentially changing A only. With the rest staying the same, therapeutic effects may or may not change, so the significance of what you're asking is going to be drug and dose specific. For example, insulin glargine 100u/mL is dosed slightly lower than insulin glargine 300u/mL because the increased volume in the subcutaneous tissue will push the drug into the patient's bloodstream more efficiently. However, giving someone two EpiPen Jrs vs one adult EpiPen will yield the same result.