Subsidized Direct Loan vs Other Loans

Started by dolce183
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dolce183

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I don't know very much about loans (except that subsidized are better than nonsubsidized), but I was wondering how good of a loan a direct subsidized loan was. I'll be a P1 at UCSF (where they don't participate in the direct loan programs), but I am still eligible to take out my Spring 06 subsidized direct loan that was offered to me by undergrad school. I have about 4 more days to accept it.

Also, does anyone know if I'd be able to continue not making payments on my subsidized undergraduate loans while I'm a full time graduate student? Or is it only subsidized during my undergrad years? Any advice would be especially helpful. Thanks a lot!
 
dolce183 said:
Hi, I don't know very much about loans (except that subsidized are better than nonsubsidized), but I was wondering how good of a loan a direct subsidized loan was. I'll be a P1 at UCSF (where they don't participate in the direct loan programs), but I am still eligible to take out my Spring 06 subsidized direct loan that was offered to me by undergrad school. I have about 4 more days to accept it.

Also, does anyone know if I'd be able to continue not making payments on my subsidized undergraduate loans while I'm a full time graduate student? Or is it only subsidized during my undergrad years? Any advice would be especially helpful. Thanks a lot!

With unsubsidized loans, you don't make payments while you are still in school. You do accrue interest on the unpaid balance.

There are subsidized and unsubsidized for graduate school. I don't know why your school doesn't participate. I've been living off of student loans for 5 years now.