Subsidized Loan

Started by kaige
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kaige

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question about the federal subsidized loan for which I couldn't find a clear answer.

I'm currently entering my junior year of undergrad as a transfer. I have the Post 9/11 GI Bill so my tuition is covered, and I'll receive a stipend to help for housing/living expenses. I'm considering taking out the subsidized loan(5,500) to give me cushion in terms of expenses; I'm already spending tons of money before the quarter has even started.

My question then is: will the loan continue to be subsidized through medical school or will the interest start accruing after my undergrad degree? I know there have been relatively recent changes regarding the discontinuing of subsidized loans specifically for medical school, but I don't know how that effects the subsidized loans taken in undergrad.

Finally, would this be a good decision? I don't know if I'm missing any key points here, but if I take out the loan and interest starts accruing for some reason, I could just pay off the balance without penalty as far as I know.
 
I believe subsidized loans will be subsidized (meaning the gov't pays the interest) as long as your loan is in "in school status." My one subsidized Stafford loan entered repayment because I took 2 years off between undergrad and medical school, and I believe when I went to medical school the gov't covered the interest again. But I'm not positive--I'm just basing that on the fact the loan seems to be approx the same size as when I started medical school.

I would recommend giving the Dept of Education a call and get a more accurate answer to make sure.