Substance abuse question on licensing application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway3993

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently a medical student but was looking at state licensing apps because I heard that some states may look into your health records. Long story short when I was 19 I abused MDMA and ended up being hospitilized and treated for possible bipolar disorder and substance abuse. I stopped doing any illegal drugs after the diagnosis and remained under treatment for BPD for about 2 years. I got a new psychiatrist who felt I was likely misdiagnosed and my main problem was substance abuse. at 21 I stopped being treated for BPD and as soon as I stopped taking those meds my life drastically improved, and I ended up working hard enough to get into medical school eventually. I am currently 27 have not had a single issue with substance abuse since 18 and have not been under treatment for any type of mental illness since 21. By the time I apply for my license there will be even more time.

On most of the state licensing apps I have seen it asks about this type of thing in the context of "in the past 5 years have you" but for New Mexico it asks about substance abuse in terms of ever in your entire life have you abused any drugs.
What happens when I say yes to that question? Will I not get licensed in that state? Is there a way I can be licensed in a different state that says "in the past 5 years" and then just transfer it to New Mexico without having to say to that question?

I am so embarrassed about what happened to me and regret my decisions every day. I genuinely do not have mental health issues and do not drink or do drugs. Nobody who meets me today would ever believe I made these decisions in my past.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't lie on it, just explain what you did above.

And no you cannot transfer your license. You get to go through the same process for each and every state you want to be licensed.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't lie on it, just explain what you did above.

And no you cannot transfer your license. You get to go through the same process for each and every state you want to be licensed.

Do you think that I would not get licensed in the state for this? It will be about 10 years in my past by the time I'd be applying. I feel like it wouldn't be worth it to risk not getting a license when I can definitely get a license in all the other states I looked at. The reason I say this is that on all the applications I saw a question "have you ever been denied a license in any other state?"

You should talk to a lawyer who works with medical licensing in the state in question, they can advise on how this would probably shake out with the board. You almost certainly put yourself at significantly more risk by not just being forthcoming.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

I am currently a medical student but was looking at state licensing apps because I heard that some states may look into your health records. Long story short when I was 19 I abused MDMA and ended up being hospitilized and treated for possible bipolar disorder and substance abuse. I stopped doing any illegal drugs after the diagnosis and remained under treatment for BPD for about 2 years. I got a new psychiatrist who felt I was likely misdiagnosed and my main problem was substance abuse. at 21 I stopped being treated for BPD and as soon as I stopped taking those meds my life drastically improved, and I ended up working hard enough to get into medical school eventually. I am currently 27 have not had a single issue with substance abuse since 18 and have not been under treatment for any type of mental illness since 21. By the time I apply for my license there will be even more time.

On most of the state licensing apps I have seen it asks about this type of thing in the context of "in the past 5 years have you" but for New Mexico it asks about substance abuse in terms of ever in your entire life have you abused any drugs.
What happens when I say yes to that question? Will I not get licensed in that state? Is there a way I can be licensed in a different state that says "in the past 5 years" and then just transfer it to New Mexico without having to say to that question?

I am so embarrassed about what happened to me and regret my decisions every day. I genuinely do not have mental health issues and do not drink or do drugs. Nobody who meets me today would ever believe I made these decisions in my past.
They can't "look into" your health records. HIPAA prevents that. But anything that's public records, such as DUIs, drug arrests, could be checked, and if you're found to have lied on your form, that could end badly. Keep in mind though, that some of these questions require some interpretation. For example, "Do you have any substance or mental health conditions that would affect the performance of your job?" is a very different question than, "Have you ever abused a substance once, ever, even alcohol or marijuana, or been depressed for even 1 day?"

I don't know that stuff that happened when you were a teenager is relevant. But use good judgement when you answer. Answer honestly. Don't lie. But that does not mean that you have to volunteer anything that is not precisely asked in the question, or necessarily admit to things you did when you were 16 that literally 90% of people have done.

Reactions: 1 user
They can't "look into" your health records. HIPAA prevents that. But anything that's public records, such as DUIs, drug arrests, could be checked, and if you're found to have lied on your form, that could end badly. Keep in mind though, that some of these questions require some interpretation. For example, "Do you have any substance or mental health conditions that would affect the performance of your job?" is a very different question than, "Have you ever abused a substance once, ever, even alcohol or marijuana, or been depressed for even 1 day?"

I don't know that stuff that happened when you were a teenager is relevant. But use good judgement when you answer. Answer honestly. Don't lie. But that does not mean that you have to volunteer anything that is not precisely asked in the question, or necessarily admit to things you did when you were 16 that literally 90% of people have done.

Yeah I totally understand this, and like I said on 99% of the state license apps I have looked at the question has a time stipulation but New Mexico does not and I cannot in good conscience answer "no" to the question "have you ever abused, been addicted to or been in treatment for any substance whether it was prescribed or not" Not a direct quote but pretty much what it says. I have no record of ever being arrested or a DUI or anything like that. I ended up in an emergency department as a psych patient and then went to treatment for substance abuse/mental health. So it is all medical information. Either way I have no intention of lying but I also dont feel like having a board make me gather medical records from like 10 years ago and be judged on what psychiatrists thought of me while I was a teenager instead of the person that I am today.

It has no stipulation about how it would affect your job, unfortunately.

I think New Mexico may just not be in the cards for me. I feel like I could get away with a lie because of HIPAA but I am working so hard to become a physician I dont want to do anything to jeopardize my license getting taken away.

You should talk to a lawyer who works with medical licensing in the state in question, they can advise on how this would probably shake out with the board. You almost certainly put yourself at significantly more risk by not just being forthcoming.

This is a good call. Do you need to get licensed during residency? Just wondering if I should even bother applying to UNM or if this is something I should wait to figure out until I am an attending.
There are plenty of states that put the time stipulation on their substance abuse questions.

This is really a nothing burger. In the unlikely scenario that you need to apply for an unlimited license in NM, you answer the question honestly and then, you either explain on the application form (if that's an option), or you do so when called to explain it later (in person or on paper). You'll be >10 years out from the issue at that point. It won't stop you from getting a license.

Also, this isn't really an EM specific question, so moving to Gen Res.

Reactions: 3 users
Agree with gutonc. It is extremely unlikely that this will be an issue that any state licensing board cares about. If you explain it as you did here, you'll be fine.

To gain familiarity with the licencing procedure, look up the meetings of the board of medicine in your state. One can see what problems necessitate an appearance before the board.

Reactions: 2 users
Interesting.

Of course, NM, the state the OP is most concerned about (for unclear reasons) isn't participating.

Thank you for the all the input everyone.

I am interesting in New Mexico because I have family that lives there, it is way lower cost of living than where I currently live and I am interested in EM and hear they have a good program. I would have liked to live with my brother and do an away rotation there to save money and get my foot in the door to the southwest, but I am still hesitant to apply for a license in a state where my past is going to be brought up. I have made a lot of positive changes in my life and just want that part of me to be left in the past where it belongs.

I think I will just shoot for Arizona, Colorado, or Utah where I don’t need to answer yes to any questions that require people to dig into my personal life.

It may be overly cautious, but from some of the licensing horror stories I have seen over the years, I personally think avoiding NM for now is a good idea.

Agree with avoiding NM....while the OP could likely get licensed there, if he mentions his substance abuse history, it will follow him for the rest of his career in ALL states.....won't prevent licensure in subsequent states, but will be an expensive hassle