Substitutions for prereques ? What are some common subs ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sillymetodaynow

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to ask for a substitution of o-chem lab with analytical chemistry lecture and lab. I figure I am giving a 4 credit chem class with a lab for a two credit -chem lab. Do you think that will be an acceptable sub ?

Has anyone successfully gotten out of the three psych/sociology classes required for DO schools ? What are some good subs for those classes ?

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, if I was you I would clear any subs with the individual schools. Otherwise you could get a lot of post-secondary rejections and not have a clue why. Be careful with substitutions.

I don't know about subbing orgo with analytical. They're 2 completely different fields, it's not just the number of credits. Analytical relates more to gen. chem than orgo. I think some schools would let you sub a semester of orgo with a semester of biochem, but not every place takes substitutions.

Members don't see this ad :)
sillymetodaynow said:
I am going to ask for a substitution of o-chem lab with analytical chemistry lecture and lab. I figure I am giving a 4 credit chem class with a lab for a two credit -chem lab. Do you think that will be an acceptable sub ?

The whole point of prereqs is that they are something you have to take. No special orders. This aint Burger King.

Law2Doc said:
The whole point of prereqs is that they are something you have to take. No special orders. This aint Burger King.

Hilarious :laugh:

KrispyKreme said:
Hilarious :laugh:

I have to believe that many medical schools are smart enough to know and admit that organic lab has nothing to do with medicine. Actually, Analytical relates directly to biochem which relates to med school.

sillymetodaynow said:
I have to believe that many medical schools are smart enough to know and admit that organic lab has nothing to do with medicine. Actually, Analytical relates directly to biochem which relates to med school.

That's not the point. It's a prerequisite. Whether it has anything to do with med school or not doesn't matter. If you're thinking about substituting, you need to clear it with schools first, otherwise you'll be a year behind.

sillymetodaynow said:

If med schools wanted you to take biochem, they would make you take biochem. A couple actually do (on TOP OF not instead of orgo). But most want you to take orgo, so you have to take orgo.

sillymetodaynow said:

Has anyone successfully gotten out of the three psych/sociology classes required for DO schools ? What are some good subs for those classes ?

I seriously doubt anyone will accept an analytical-orgo sub. Analytical chemistry is only relevant if you're interested in chem grad school or industry(even it's usefulness for biochemistry is a stretch, since it's mostly a techniques course).

ADeadLois said:
I seriously doubt anyone will accept an analytical-orgo sub. Analytical chemistry is only relevant if you're interested in chem grad school or industry(even it's usefulness for biochemistry is a stretch, since it's mostly a techniques course).

Analytical is not at all a techniques course. It is mostly an advaced study of acid-base chemistry, ligand chemistry, and solubility chemistry.

sillymetodaynow said:

All I did in Analytical was learn how to use machines that only chemistry grad students need to know how to use (GC/MS, HPLC, etc). Yes, you often do analysis on biochemistry samples, but in most lab groups analysis of these samples are passed on to the chemistry grad students.

Law2Doc said:

:laugh: That might have to be the quote of the day. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, something else for your consideration - Does this look like it will need explaination/permission

placed out of intro chem I at college
Got a 3 on the AP test, so no credit
Got a C- in P-chem I
Taking Inorganic this fall, planning on studying hard and getting a B atleast
Will this raise questions anywhere?
Got a B+ in intro chem II, took O-Chem and passed, etc...

sillymetodaynow said:
Analytical is not at all a techniques course. It is mostly an advaced study of acid-base chemistry, ligand chemistry, and solubility chemistry.

That sounds more like Inorganic to me, but I understand that different schools have different curriculum.

Bottom line: you're not going to be able to make the substitution. Organic is the most steadfast of all of the medical school pre-requisites.

sillymetodaynow said:

Wait, have you taken analytical lab? You said in another thread you haven't taken p-chem.

"Organic is the most steadfast of all of the medical school pre-requisites"

This is not true at all. UW-Madison just dropped organic II and organic lab as prereques. That is where I go for undergrad.

Organic is the least important prereque. And the MCAT has had less and less o-chem the last few years.

ADeadLois said:
Wait, have you taken analytical lab? You said in another thread you haven't taken p-chem.

That is correct. I have taken analytical and have not taken p-chem yet. why is that surprising ? a-chem is a second year chem class and p-chem is usually in the last year of undergrad.

Med schools do make exceptions for prereques sometimes. This is not an unheard of idea. My undergrad even let me trade out of o-chem lab because i did an extra semester of o-chem research. schools do make exceptions. i am sure i am not the only one.

so what exceptions/substitutions have you heard of being successful ?

sillymetodaynow said:
That is correct. I have taken analytical and have not taken p-chem yet. why is that surprising ? a-chem is a second year chem class and p-chem is usually in the last year of undergrad.

At my school analytical chem is taken during the p-chem sequence. Most schools differ in how they handle chemistry major curriculum.

sillymetodaynow said:
"Organic is the most steadfast of all of the medical school pre-requisites"

This is not true at all. UW-Madison just dropped organic II and organic lab as prereques. That is where I go for undergrad.

Organic is the least important prereque. And the MCAT has had less and less o-chem the last few years.

I don't think the point of ochem as a prerequisite is to helpyou in med school. Organic is mostly useless if you don't go to grad school as a chem major/ or because a nutritionist/pharmacist...
The point of ochem is to determine whether or not you are good enough to do well in a hard, advanced, and I guess unconventional class.
Analytical is, in my opinion,way easier than ochem.

But as many said, contact med schools you're applying to before you try subbing....

MinnyGophers said:
I don't think the point of ochem as a prerequisite is to helpyou in med school. Organic is mostly useless if you don't go to grad school as a chem major/ or because a nutritionist/pharmacist...
The point of ochem is to determine whether or not you are good enough to do well in a hard, advanced, and I guess unconventional class.
Analytical is, in my opinion,way easier than ochem.

But as many said, contact med schools you're applying to before you try subbing....

I thought ochem was a breeze and analytical is one of the hardest classes for chem/biochem majors at madison. only a few As are given per semester.

Did you take analytical ?

sillymetodaynow said:
I thought ochem was a breeze and analytical is one of the hardest classes for chem/biochem majors at madison. only a few As are given per semester.

Did you take analytical ?

If you think ochem is a breeze, why do you want to sub it with something you think is harder?

I thought analytical was boring but a lot easier than ochem.
Analytical labs are the worst, it's a LOT of work for one stupid lab. It's not hard, it's just tediously boring. You basically just sit there for three hours and wait for one reaction to proceed, and then write a 10 pager on it... :sleep:

MinnyGophers said:
If you think ochem is a breeze, why do you want to sub it with something you think is harder?

I thought analytical was boring but a lot easier than ochem.
Analytical labs are the worst, it's a LOT of work for one stupid lab. It's not hard, it's just tediously boring. You basically just sit there for three hours and wait for one reaction to proceed, and then write a 10 pager on it... :sleep:

I do not fear hard work- I just cant take boring work. I cant take being bored. I go nuts.

sillymetodaynow said:
I do not fear hard work- I just cant take boring work. I cant take being bored. I go nuts.

Well, i don't know what floats your boat, but analytical lab was SO SO SO BORING. You like watching gel chromatography for hours on end? Then it's for you :scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.