What are some Stat Forgiving Research Heavy Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sampats

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For someone who is research heavy (10+ publications), what are some top 20-30 research schools that would be willing to overlook average stats (3.7 512) as ORM?

Members don't see this ad.

• Inappropriate
Reactions: 1 user
with average matriculant stats and ORM status, it will be hard to crack T30, but some holistic schools that come to mind are UCs, UW (most people should not apply here), Michigan, Pritzker, Emory, Case, OSU. note that no school will "overlook" your stats, but use them in conjunction with other parts of your file

the other aspects of your application will be crucial for getting interviews at higher tier schools, things like writing a cohesive primary with a theme, gathering stellar LOR, writing meaningful/specific secondaries, leveraging connections if any, and telling your story in an authentic manner

If you’re aiming for T20, I would suggest retaking the MCAT. I would say anything below 3.8c/3.8s/518 is going to make T20 very difficult
To my knowledge, I think UCSF may be more forgiving (probably a few others as well)

Members don't see this ad :)
For someone who is research heavy (10+ publications), what are some top 20-30 research schools that would be willing to overlook average stats (3.7 512) as ORM?
It also depends on where and what you published. Tbh, there’s zero premed student who can show off their research work. I bet 99% of premed pub is fluff or non-medicine related. So if you think 10+ pubs can carry you over to a t20 with a sub average stats on BOTH gpa and MCAT along with an ORM status, I wouldn’t waste my money on those top schools.

Mayo would be a reasonable choice here

with average matriculant stats and ORM status, it will be hard to crack T30, but some holistic schools that come to mind are UCs, UW (most people should not apply here), Michigan, Pritzker, Emory, Case, OSU. note that no school will "overlook" your stats, but use them in conjunction with other parts of your file

the other aspects of your application will be crucial for getting interviews at higher tier schools, things like writing a cohesive primary with a theme, gathering stellar LOR, writing meaningful/specific secondaries, leveraging connections if any, and telling your story in an authentic manner

If you’re aiming for T20, I would suggest retaking the MCAT. I would say anything below 3.8c/3.8s/518 is going to make T20 very difficult
To my knowledge, I think UCSF may be more forgiving (probably a few others as well)

Strongly disagree that <518 makes it very difficult. Traditional 3.9/516 orm here with interviews at 12 T30s (4 T20s) and A at Johns Hopkins. I think you’re blowing the importance of stats to T20s out of proportion. Plenty of boring 522+/4.0 are rejected each year bc of not as impressive ECs, writing, rec letters, etc. But 512/3.7 is going to be very difficult, I agree

But I do agree that higher MCAT is better, and 522+ with matching strong ECs would make you very likely for interviews and A’s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strongly disagree that <518 makes it very difficult. Traditional 3.9/516 orm here with interviews at 12 T30s (4 T20s) and A at Johns Hopkins. I think you’re blowing the importance of stats to T20s out of proportion. Plenty of boring 522+/4.0 are rejected each year bc of not as impressive ECs, writing, rec letters, etc. But 512/3.7 is going to be very difficult, I agree

But I do agree that higher MCAT is better, and 522+ with matching strong ECs would make you very likely for interviews and A’s.
@ciretne What are some schools outside of the top 30s you think I should aim for with 3.7/512 and 10+ pubs?

Do you think Einstein, Pitt, Case are reasonable?

So what happened to the GPA and MCAT since the last time you posted a near identical question?????

Status
Not open for further replies.