Success in being accepted off a waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

licensetodrill614

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any insight on being accepted off a waitlist? Advice with letters of intent, contact with the school, etc... would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a crap shoot. The schools I interviewed at did provide historical statistics of how many people who get the Dec 1 (3) acceptance usually pay the deposit.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a crap shoot. The schools I interviewed at did provide historical statistics of how many people who get the Dec 1 (3) acceptance usually pay the deposit.
Care to elaborate? Which schools and how many did they accept of the list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out LECOM class of 2023 thread. Lots of info there. I guess it depends on how and what the school in question moves people off the list and the size of the list.

Did you email schools that you are still very much interested once you found out you're on the wait-list? because I'm deciding whether or not I should do that myself

Did you email schools that you are still very much interested once you found out you're on the wait-list? because I'm deciding whether or not I should do that myself

I did! I don't think it hurts :) I just conveyed my interested and that I was glad to still be considered and looking forward to hearing form them.

I got waitlisted at 5 schools last cycle and was not accepted to any of them in the end. That being said, people get off waitlists all the time. Its not over till its over.

Reactions: 2 users
I got waitlisted at 5 schools last cycle and was not accepted to any of them in the end. That being said, people get off waitlists all the time. Its not over till its over.
That's surprising, especially with your stats. Did you ever call the schools to find out what you needed to work on/what did you do to get accepted the next cycle?

A LOT of people get accepted off the waitlist. As for letters of intent: in my opinion they’re a big waste of time. You applied to the school so I assume they believe you would like to go there. Plus, schools know that many students write letters of intent to ALL the schools they applied at. What I think means more is if you keep updating them on volunteering, shadowing, grades, research etc that you are doing. Will it help? It might, but it definitely will not hurt, unless they specifically tell you not to update them.

That's surprising, especially with your stats. Did you ever call the schools to find out what you needed to work on/what did you do to get accepted the next cycle?
I actually asked one school (UConn) and all they told me was that the applicant pool is extremely competitive etc. blah blah blah. Overall, i thought all my interviews went pretty well too.

I dont think there was one main reason i got waitlisted other than these schools are extremely competitive where everyone who interviews is a stud. These were all top state schools/Ivies so competition is pretty tough.

Probably will get flak for this but i think race 100% plays a factor too.

Reactions: 3 users
imo, it's healthier to just mentally move on. but it's still very early, you never know.
agree w/ the idea that letters of intent are kinda useless.

I actually asked one school (UConn) and all they told me was that the applicant pool is extremely competitive etc. blah blah blah. Overall, i thought all my interviews went pretty well too.

I dont think there was one main reason i got waitlisted other than these schools are extremely competitive where everyone who interviews is a stud. These were all top state schools/Ivies so competition is pretty tough.

Probably will get flak for this but i think race 100% plays a factor too.

race does not 100% play a factor...

What do you guys think about telling a school that waitlisted you that you got into a few other schools but this school is still your top choice and you would go there over those other schools that accepted you ?