Success in Organic Chemistry Classes

Started by JJNonTrad
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JJNonTrad

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all. I’ve decided to make the plunge out of my current industry and into my dream of becoming a doctor.

I am planning on doing post bacc work summer ‘20, fall ‘20, and finishing up spring ‘21.

One area of guidance I’m looking for is on the topic of organic chemistry.

I made A’s in Chem 1 and Chem 2 for majors in college. However, this was almost 10 years ago. I do not feel confident in my chemistry knowledge whatsoever at this point.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations to set myself up for success in Ochem so long after my intro Chemistry classes? I’m planning on doing a high level review of the Chem syllabi.

Thanks!
 
Hello all. I’ve decided to make the plunge out of my current industry and into my dream of becoming a doctor.

I am planning on doing post bacc work summer ‘20, fall ‘20, and finishing up spring ‘21.

One area of guidance I’m looking for is on the topic of organic chemistry.

I made A’s in Chem 1 and Chem 2 for majors in college. However, this was almost 10 years ago. I do not feel confident in my chemistry knowledge whatsoever at this point.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations to set myself up for success in Ochem so long after my intro Chemistry classes? I’m planning on doing a high level review of the Chem syllabi.

Thanks!

I recommend students get the book ahead of time and study it. Try to work out as many problems as possible. You can search for lectures online (on YouTube, for example) for topics that are difficult. If you want more structure, you could audit or sit-in on a lecture course. At one of the previous institutions I taught at, we did have a few students (on occasion) come to the lab portion of the course and observe. If you do plan to audit or sit in on a course, I recommend you contact the instructor ahead of time as some do not like visitors.
 
Last edited by a moderator: