Success stories VR 7 or lower

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I was at the UC Davis Pre-Health Conference, and a speaker from admission committee said that for anyone who wants to be considered for med school, they at least have to get a 7 or better in verbal (in the other sections as well). with your stats and background, I am confident you can do well 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was at the UC Davis Pre-Health Conference, and a speaker from admission committee said that for anyone who wants to be considered for med school, they at least have to get a 7 or better in verbal (in the other sections as well). with your stats and background, I am confident you can do well 🙂
Thanks! That is good news considering I will be applying to Davis.

And to anyone who is reading this, I wish you all great year filled with great news 🙂
 
Hi all,

I am just looking for some insight. So a little about me:
-22yr old hispanic male, esl, born in the U.S. but moved at an early age to Mexico, and moved back to the U.S. in early-ish teens.
-scored a 29 (10/7/12) which wasn't ideal but decided not to retake.
- cGPA: 3.65, sGPA:3.61
- tons of leadership roles, tons non-clinical volunteer with some long term unique organizations, clinical direct-patient experience, paid research experience, health related internships, scribing soon.
- working on PS and think will have strong LORs
- CA resident hoping to stay here but will definitely apply broadly next cycle.

So for those who just interviewed, or med students, did a low VR score ever come up in an interview? If so how did you approach that question? Is there anything I can do to show I am trying to improve verbal (I have been reading more in spare time) besides a retake?

Thank you for reading!
It may come up and you will have to explain the discrepancy between your numbers. But I think once they read your application, they may read and understand why.



Antonio Webb, M.D.
Orthopedic Surgery Resident