success stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mouseybrown

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,

just wondering if there was anyone out there who had trouble in something (struggling in a class, etc etc ) and was able to pull through?

maybe i'm looking for a "rocky" type success story to boost my spirits, dunno. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

hey,

just wondering if there was anyone out there who had trouble in something (struggling in a class, etc etc ) and was able to pull through?

maybe i'm looking for a "rocky" type success story to boost my spirits, dunno. :oops:
I barely passed my first gross anatomy lecture exam and totally bombed the practical. With those 2 grades averaged, I started out with a 65 in the class. :( 70 was the minimum you needed to pass. For the next the few months, I lived and breathed anatomy. After lots of hard work and weekends spent in the anatomy lab, I managed to bring my grade up to a 79 at the end of the semester. :) That's a 14 point increase! But for those months when I was in the hole, man, I was scared and depressed.

I didn't study for physiology for 6 weeks, then crammed over 4 days. Pulled an 86 on the test. Did the same thing for the final. 'A' was my final grade.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
HA-HA! Posting a reply on SDN on its own is a success story to me. Do you know how many years i have spent preparing for this? And all the kind of torture i have gone through to reach this stage? Its beyond what i can squeeze in here!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't study for physiology for 6 weeks, then crammed over 4 days. Pulled an 86 on the test. Did the same thing for the final. 'A' was my final grade.

dude that's not a success story, you're just a genius :) unless it was a do or die modterm or something.

hey,

Failed my first biochem test in med school-->worked my tail off-->high passed the class and got a star on the biochem portion of step 1

During one semester in undergrad I had a C in organic II and an F in biology III. You don't want to know how many advisors told me I wouldn't get into medical school.

I dropped orgo, brought my grade in bio up to a C+, got and A in every class after this (both junior and senior year), and still made it to medical school! (And am doing really great btw).

During one semester in undergrad I had a C in organic II and an F in biology III. You don't want to know how many advisors told me I wouldn't get into medical school.

I dropped orgo, brought my grade in bio up to a C+, got and A in every class after this (both junior and senior year), and still made it to medical school! (And am doing really great btw).

Lol, I too had an "adviser" tell me I had no chance at med school after a dismal first year, and that I need to pick a different career path. That pretty much fired me up to kill the rest of my pre-reqs and mcat to prove him wrong. Too bad he was no longer with the school so I could shove my acceptance letters in his face. So it ticked me off, but it was pretty good motivation-maybe that's the strategy they use?

So it ticked me off, but it was pretty good motivation-maybe that's the strategy they use?

I've always thought this. I think in most cases people drop pre-med after hearing this, but those who are capable of boosting grades or have a strong desire to, will. So it works for both sets.

I bombed my first O-Chem II test in undergrad and made an A on the second one, but had to make a 98 on the final to get an A in the class. I studied my ass off and got a 99 on the final. Just keep your head up and keep working :thumbup:

I failed anatomy first year due to a variety of reasons, one of which was the fact that I just hadn't nailed down my study strategy. I remediated over the summer and I've gotten high passes in all my second year courses, so far. You can bounce back from early academic problems but you need to figure out what wasn't working and fix it.

Barely passed anatomy and physiology in MSI and pulled out around 90 on the NBME to pass the class overall. Had a tough time in neuroanatomy too. If you work hard in MSII and MSIII, it is still possible to end up AOA.

All I have to say is that MSI was horrendous. MSII was better. MSIII was great.

Histology and Cell Biology - failed a test first semester and scored poorly on the others. Really hit the books hard second semester and honored/did well on the shelf exam. It became one of my best subjects and the experience of failing and making a comeback, so to speak, helped me to figure out how to do well in the basic sciences second year. So in retrospect, a blessing in disguise.

Wow! Inspiring! I'm in the same situation you were in then. I want to bring my grades up and know that I can do it, but it's just that doing badly in my first years of college, really killed any hope my teachers had for me. I never got an F, but I did get a few D's.
What was your gpa when you graduated? Did they accept you despite your low gpa or had you pulled it up all the way to a 4.0?