Success Stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MexicanDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since this is the place for premeds to ask questions to current med students I ll post this here.

I simply want to know of any success stories where your cGPA or sGPA was at your lowest and brought it back up. I am not talking about a first bad or second semester your freshman year, but rather in your Jr/Sr year and you still have 4-5 classes for your major plus all or most of the pre-reqs to take.

What was the outcome for you?

Did you apply to med school and got in? Are you getting ready to apply? Did you do a Postbacc/SMP?

I am just looking for some success stories and how they were turned around or if you are in the process of turning it around.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also interested in hearing success stories, and would love to know how and why you eventually decided to buckle down and get the work done. What was your motivation, and were the previous failures truly due to lack of motivation...or something else entirely?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a ~3.11 overall for my first 3 years of high school. I did better and managed to get straight As for the first time in public school in the final quarter. Does that count?

it's not GPA, but i got a C in neurobio sophmore year (actually a 2.7ish term). profs wouldn't let me take advanced neurobio, but i told them it wouldnt happen again (what did i know, ish was only gonna get harder...cant believe they actually took it). ended up with an A- in advanced neurobio and then got invited by the same prof to take a graduate neuro class in which i got an A-.

i got asked about that grade at ~80% of my interviews. you just have to sell the story. explain the initial problem, your course of action for solving it, and show you succeeded. don't get bogged down by 1 term. schools that asked me about it have accepted me.