Success Story: Applying late to dental school (December/January)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future_tooth_doc

Reaction score
I wanted to make a quick post about my experience to hopefully shed some light and give hope to others! This post is not meant to be bragging or me showing off in any way - I just know that when I was experiencing this, I was met with a lot of negative feedback and want to change that moving forward.

For background, I applied late (verified January 3rd) into this current dental cycle as I was dealing with some mental burnout and honestly, overwhelmed with the admissions process. It was hard to define what moment clicked but for me, I realized I did not want to take another gap year and I wanted to apply to hopefully start in the Fall of 2023. I had worked as a dental assistant and treatment coordinator for a year after college and currently getting my masters in BMS. I knew my chances were slim and it would be hard to get an interview but I believed in myself and the few success posts I had seen on SDN and decided to take the risk and apply.

I want to make this post to tell everyone to always bet on yourself and believe in your application and your dedication to becoming a dentist. IT WILL WORK OUT... no matter how hard and daunting it seems. I heard back from 7 schools for interviews and already got an acceptance. I know it seems overwhelming but I just wanted to share that it is possible. If anyone wants to pm or ask me more questions, I am always here to help. I wish I had someone to turn too who applied this late when I applied so I want to share and be a resource to you all. Hope this helps! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
^^^Stats: 4.0 GPA, 28 AA on DAT. See, everyone can do it! haha jk, congrats tho

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha I wish!! 3.5 gpa 3.35 sgpa (3.7 masters) & 19 AA, just had strong PS, LOR & extracurriculars. thank you!! :)
ok, well what were your extracurriculars? I've seen plenty of people within your range venting out how they didn't get in, and they applied months ago.

The process is truly different for every single applicant. What must have been a weakness in mine (applying late in the cycle) was overshadowed by my experiences and recommendations. I had over 2000+ assisting and treatment coordinator hours, was president and founder of two orgs in undergrad, volunteered at a clinic for 2 years, 400+ shadowing hours in different specialties, had teaching experience as an orgo TA, did oral cancer research and am currently starting a free telemedicine clinic to help underserved communities. I knew I was at a disadvantage but was confident in my experiences and the way I spoke on them relating to my passion to dentistry. Having strong LOR, a unique and strong PS and extracurriculars to show your dedication to dentistry is more important than rushing everything to submit the first day of apps imo.

Reactions: 1 user
The process is truly different for every single applicant. What must have been a weakness in mine (applying late in the cycle) was overshadowed by my experiences and recommendations. I had over 2000+ assisting and treatment coordinator hours, was president and founder of two orgs in undergrad, volunteered at a clinic for 2 years, 400+ shadowing hours in different specialties, had teaching experience as an orgo TA, did oral cancer research and am currently starting a free telemedicine clinic to help underserved communities. I knew I was at a disadvantage but was confident in my experiences and the way I spoke on them relating to my passion to dentistry. Having strong LOR, a unique and strong PS and extracurriculars to show your dedication to dentistry is more important than rushing everything to submit the first day of apps imo.
This was by no means to brag about my experiences (im sorry if it came off that way) , I had to work and try to fit all of this into a busy schedule so I understand but I pushed myself a lot during those 4 years to make myself into a strong well rounded candidate

Have you received an official acceptance via email from your school?

Haha I wish!! 3.5 gpa 3.35 sgpa (3.7 masters) & 19 AA, just had strong PS, LOR & extracurriculars. thank you!! :)
congrats!
is the school you got accepted at where you go for your masters?