Success with 1 yr post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MHA BOUND

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of conversation regarding 1yr vs 2yr post bacc''s? Has anyone completed a post bacc program in 1 yr (all the pre-reqs) while also taking the MCAT in the same year?

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard a lot of conversation regarding 1yr vs 2yr post bacc''s? Has anyone completed a post bacc program in 1 yr (all the pre-reqs) while also taking the MCAT in the same year?

I believe the three super competitive post bac programs, Bryn Mawr, Goucher and Scripps are all 1 year programs. Students who do linkage actually matriculate right after the postbac program. Most linkages still require MCATs. So it clearly is possible and many people have done it.

I don't know the numbers for linkage but I'm hoping someone on here has an idea.

How many people typically do linkage, and of those linkage candidates, how many actually get accepted if they maintain cutoffs?

Yes, I did all the prereqs in one year at the Bryn Mawr program. I took the MCAT in April of my postbac year while studying for my finals in Bio II, Physics II and Orgo II. I linked successfully to my top-choice medical school and here I am.

The MCAT was a challenge and took up a lot of valuable time in the spring, but doing all the prereqs in one year wasn't all that bad. Some people need to work harder than others, though, so be ready for a challenge if you tend to study more than average when mastering material.

Linkage rates vary widely depending on the linkage school. Some linkage schools accept basically all the postbacs who apply, others rarely accept any.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was with NewmansOwn at Bryn Mawr and can second everything he said. His advice is, as usual, spot on. :thumbup:

I did not link, so I will share my experiences taking that route. I took the MCAT on May 22, a few weeks after the spring final exams. It was nice to be able to finish the term and have a few dedicated weeks to prepare. I have applied to 14 schools, sent secondaries to all, heard back from 9 and offered 8 interviews, of which I have been to 7. Of the schools I have heard back from (n = 3), I was accepted at 2 and waitlisted at 1.

So, the program works. I know plenty of others from Byrn Mawr who are having similar (if not better) sucessess than me.

Good luck,
Gator

I was with NewmansOwn at Bryn Mawr and can second everything he said. His advice is, as usual, spot on. :thumbup:

I did not link, so I will share my experiences taking that route. I took the MCAT on May 22, a few weeks after the spring final exams. It was nice to be able to finish the term and have a few dedicated weeks to prepare. I have applied to 14 schools, sent secondaries to all, heard back from 9 and offered 8 interviews, of which I have been to 7. Of the schools I have heard back from (n = 3), I was accepted at 2 and waitlisted at 1.

So, the program works. I know plenty of others from Byrn Mawr who are having similar (if not better) sucessess than me.

Good luck,
Gator

Congrats dude! I've been wondering how the application process is treating you. Let me know where you finally end up. Hope all is well with you and your better half.