Successful Applicant Stats - Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lso5013

Wisconsin c/o 2018 :)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I know it's way way early to post this thread, but I figured this would give a lot of us some motivation for that vet school acceptance letter/phone call/e-mail we're all anxious for. If anyone feels comfortable posting their stats, feel free! Follow the examples from last year's thread, found here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/successful-applicant-stats-of-2017.970957/

Members don't see this ad.

*bump* Now that some have received their "Acceptance Emails/Letters" ;)

I think most of us are waiting until the cycle is over.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of people will wait until they've heard from all of their schools before posting, so it could be a while. Don't want to jinx things, after all. :p

Reactions: 1 user
Well I only applied to my IS like a crazy person, so I'll start as there's no fear of bad juju for me :)

FL resident, 1st time applicant
F, 22

Applied: UF
Rejected:
Interviewed: UF
Waitlisted:
Accepted: UF

Overall GPA: 3.9
Science GPA: 3.85
Last 45: 3.95

GRE (Quant,Verbal,Writing):

Other School Things:
Wildlife rehabilitation research for credit
2 semesters of organic chemistry research with a professor
Wrote and defended a senior honors thesis- graduated with honors this December
Bio 1 TA for a year

Animal Experience:
500+ hours wildlife rehab
200+ hours volunteering at wolf preserve
500+ hours shelter volunteer
10000+ grew up on a farm

Vet Experience:

Employment
500+ hours SA Clinic vet tech
250+ hours Emergency Vet Tech

Shadow
50 hours LA vet

LORs:
SA Vet
Emergency Vet
My thesis director
MD I worked with

So basically I had a really strong GPA and academics but was pretty average elsewhere, especially vet experience (because i was going for the MD route my first two years, and explained that in my explanation statement). With UF for early interviews it was mostly a numbers game and I think I was fortunate to make the cut and not babble incoherently in the interview. I also feel that if you have a strong area, whether it be your GPA or you have a million hours of experience as a tech, make sure you emphasize that, as sometimes your strong suits can outweigh some less impressive areas! Good luck everyone applying this round :)

Reactions: 3 users
I know it's considered bad mojo to post before you've heard from all your schools, but I'm just too excited to wait.

23 yr old female CA resident, 2nd time applicant

(1st time- Applied to UC Davis only, interviewed, then was waitlisted and then rejected. I found out during a phone call with Yasmin Williams that they picked the final applicants (of the 240 interviewees) solely based on MMI scores. Basically I just sucked at the MMI.)

Applied: UC Davis, WSU, CSU, Ohio State, Cornell, NC State, U Wisconsin
Rejected: CSU
Declined interviews: WSU, OSU
Waitlisted: UC Davis (after interview), U Wisconsin
Accepted: Cornell, NCSU
Attending: NCSU :banana:

Overall GPA: 3.78
Science GPA: 3.68-ish?

GRE (Q/V/W): 164/161/5.0

Veterinary:
Vet assistant at a SA clinic – 400
SPCA med support – 50
Wildlife externship – 340
Shadowing at ECC SA clinic - 55
Research - 1000; name on 2 papers

Animal Experience:
Working at SPCA as Animal Care Coordinator - 500
Volunteering at local 4H (teaching dog obedience/training) - 60
Volunteering for Cornell Companions (therapy dog group) - 24
Volunteering for Cornell CARE (providing mental stimulation for research dogs) - 20
Volunteering at wildlife center after my externship – 10
Various hands-on labs during undergrad (sheep, quail, etc) – 15
Equine sports medicine rehab internship – 150
Foal watch – 8
Working student for various eventing/dressage trainers (includes training/competing) - ~2000
Various horse stuff (teaching lessons, schooling, etc) - 515
TA for lab portion of undergrad Horse Biology class - 50

Non-Animal Employment:
Various short-term jobs during undergrad as notetaker, administrative assistant, and TA

LORs:
Faculty advisor
Research PI
SA ECC vet
Wildlife vet
Equine sports medicine rehab manager
Cornell Companions director

(I had a lot of writers because of the Cornell supplemental)

Personal statement: I'm a traditional applicant so I didn't have anything really exciting to say, but I'm still really proud of it (it's pretty darn excellent, if I do say so myself). I'd be happy to share it or help others with their own (if any future applicants are reading this); just PM me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I know it's considered bad mojo to post before you've heard from all your schools, but I'm just too excited to wait.

Veterinary:
Vet assistant at a SA clinic – 400
SPCA med support – 50
Wildlife externship – 340
Shadowing at ECC SA clinic - 55
Research - 1000; name on 2 papers

Animal Experience:

Working at SPCA as Animal Care Coordinator - 500
Volunteering at local 4H (teaching dog obedience/training) - 60
Volunteering for Cornell Companions (therapy dog group) - 24
Volunteering for Cornell CARE (providing mental stimulation for research dogs) - 20
Volunteering at wildlife center after my externship – 10
Various hands-on labs during undergrad (sheep, quail, etc) – 15
Equine sports medicine rehab internship – 150
Foal watch – 8
Working student for various eventing/dressage trainers (includes training/competing) - ~2000
Various horse stuff (teaching lessons, schooling, etc) - 515
TA for lab portion of undergrad Horse Biology class - 50.

do you mind if I ask where you did your equine sports med internship? I am really interested in that field, and was wondering where you did it cause I'm in cali as well. you ca pm if you want.

do you mind if I ask where you did your equine sports med internship? I am really interested in that field, and was wondering where you did it cause I'm in cali as well. you ca pm if you want.

PM'ed you!

Here goes...

26 year old female, NJ resident, 1st time applying, non-traditional applicant (art history major)

Applied: EVERYWHERE.... jk, almost: UPenn, UC Davis, Ohio State, LSU, Kansas State, Auburn, Iowa State, Illinois, Tufts, Minnesota, Missouri, CSU, Oregon State
Rejected: Missouri
Interviewed: UC Davis, UPenn, Ohio State, Iowa State
Declined interviews: LSU, Tufts, Minnesota, Illinois, Kansas, Auburn
Waitlisted: OSU, Cornell
Accepted: UPenn, UC Davis, CSU, Ohio State
Attending: UPENN!!!!

Overall GPA: 3.58
Science GPA: 3.97 or 3.75 depending if you include 1 course from undergrad
Last 45: 3.98

GRE (Q/V/W): 161/159/4.5

Veterinary:
-Vet tech for SA/exotics hospital for the last 2 years: ~2500 - 3000 hours
-a few hours shadowing another vet from a different SA practice

Animal:
-Volunteering for various TNR and cat/dog rescue groups: ~couple hundred hours

Unrelated other experience:
-Various internships and part time work in art auction houses and museums
-2 years as Operations Assistant for a FOREX broker on Wall Street <----BLECHHHH

LORS:
-Managing Partner/Vet of SA practice I currently work at
-Associate Vet at practice I work at
-General Chemistry professor

Personal Statement: Opened with a first hand account of the annual state of affairs meeting at the SA practice I work at. Acknowledged the dichotomy of balancing the financial needs of a successful practice with the emotional and physical needs (and financial restraints) of the clients and patients. Discussed how this made me seriously question whether I wanted to be a vet, especially during the poor economy and after Hurricane Sandy. Presented pros/cons of being a vet. Presented a flashback of my route to this crossroads. Gave an anecdote about a dog that had Leptospirosis after the hurricane due to all of the stagnant water, and explained how this case among others made me realize the importance of veterinarians to public health and zoonotic diseases control during times of economic prosperity and distress and finally solidified my decision to pursue vetmed.

Reactions: 7 users
Hope this helps someone out there!! If anyone has any questions about dual degree programs, I've been on my share of interviews and would be happy to discuss it with you via private message or email :)

NJ resident, 1st time applicant (took a gap year graduated May 2023)... Rutgers alum!!
F, 22

Applied: Cornell, Davis, Florida, tufts, penn, Ohio, Washington, Vmrc, western, ncsu, Colorado
Rejected: nowhere (yet haha)... Not accepted into dual degree at Davis but potential separate offer with large stipend for grad school there.
Interviewed: UF, Davis(dual degree), tufts, penn(dual degree), western, Colorado(dual degree)
Waitlisted: Davis (vet school)
Accepted: UF, Cornell, tufts, western, Colorado (dual degree)

Still waiting on ncsu and penn (dual degree)

Overall GPA: 4.00/4.00
Science GPA: 4.00
Last 45: 4.00

159,159, 5

Other School Things:
Undergraduate TA in two honors seminars and physiology.
Graduated valedictorian with three majors and two minors.
Worked full time during most of school due to financial and personal reasons.
Very involved in the campus community (honors program, animal science department)
Played the flute and piccolo in community concert band

Animal Experience:
140 sheep/goat routine care and veterinary treatment
120 dairy cattle routine care and veterinary treatment
100 shelter work and various volunteer activities including sitting seeing eye puppies in training.
Started a small animal welfare and outreach group around campus. Fed feral cats, organized community lectures and worked with therapy animals around campus.

Vet Experience:
2500 hours small animal hospitals (combo of private and public/vca chain) practices.
800+ biomedical research hours... 3 years working in here different labs. Including my own independent thesis that i publically defended.

Employment
2500+ small animal... Kennel assistant (learned a lot from treatment techs and doctors and helped in treatment when needed).
Three years part time chemistry tutor (15 hr/week)
Two years part time residence life
90 hours supplemental instructor for upper level biochemistry
90 hours private tutor for student athletes
250 hours as a nanny for two young boys.

After graduating I kept the tutoring position and continued working in the small animal hospital. Also took on a staff position at rutgers teaching in honors seminars for the 2013 to 2014 school year. Recently left the small animal practice and work as an animal care tech at the park system near my house. And now also professionally tutor chemistry to high school students at a test prep center. I love working with people and animals!! :)

LORS:
1 small animal vet
Professor from sheep goat class
My research professor for honors thesis
Animal science department head (also my professor in three classes my advisor and mentored my small animal club)
Director of honors program (worked as his at for two years of undergrad, had five classes with, got to know very well and still work for him post graduation as an instructor).

Personal statement: talked about my developing interests in vet med... Always wanted to be a vet, but shifted more towards research end of profession, as I progressed through college and discovered how it also reflected my passions of science and teaching. Also mentioned my family and financial hardships...and how I worked full time, even though I was committed to doing well in school. Explained how taking a year off made me grow as an applicant and person.

Here goes...

26 year old female, NJ resident, 1st time applying, non-traditional applicant (art history major)

Applied: EVERYWHERE.... jk, almost: UPenn, UC Davis, Ohio State, LSU, Kansas State, Auburn, Iowa State, Illinois, Tufts, Minnesota, Missouri, CSU, Oregon State

Veterinary:

Animal:

-2 years as Operations Assistant for a FOREX broker on Wall Street <----BLECHHHH

LORS:

Personal Statement: Opened with a first hand account of the annual state of affairs meeting at the SA practice I work at. Acknowledged the dichotomy of balancing the financial needs of a successful practice with the emotional and physical needs (and financial restraints) of the clients and patients. Discussed how this made me seriously question whether I wanted to be a vet, especially during the poor economy and after Hurricane Sandy. Presented pros/cons of being a vet. Presented a flashback of my route to this crossroads. Gave an anecdote about a dog that had Leptospirosis after the hurricane due to all of the stagnant water, and explained how this case among others made me realize the importance of veterinarians to public health and zoonotic diseases control during times of economic prosperity and distress and finally solidified my decision to pursue vetmed.
Yay! Im so happy for you!

NJ resident, 1st time applicant as a junior at Kansas State University. 21 Years Old.
Skipping Senior year and starting vet school in August with no degree!!
Applied: K-State
Interviewed: K-State (Interviewed on 12/15 and heard 1/4 if anyone is curious)
Accepted: K-State

Overall GPA: 3.49
Science GPA: 3.33
Last 45: 3.69

GRE: Sorry y'all! I did not have to take this. I know, I know. You all hate me.. I wish everyone could have been in the same position as me. At KSU if you take all your pre-reqs here you do not have to submit a GRE score for vet school.

Undergrad Stuff:
I was very involved in many leadership positions!
Sigma Alpha Professional Agricultural Sorority- Scholarship Chair
College of Ag Student Council Course and Curriculum Rep
Pre-Vet Club
Block and Bridle

Animal Experience:
13 Years of Raising Sheep in 4-H!! I think I wrote on my VMCAS 4500 hours after doing a weekly calculation of my experiences.
Riding and Showing Horses
Tufts Adventures in Veterinary Medicine Enrichment Program
Little American Royal at KSU Department of Animal Science- Showed Beef and Dairy Cattle

Vet Experience:
1 Summer working at a lab in an equine clinic
3 years in undergrad working at the vet school with Swine Research Group- worked with PRRS virus with 200 pigs
300 hours shadowing small animal vet
25 hours with mixed animal vet in Kansas

LORS:
1 small animal vet
Animal nutrition Professor
Advisor
Research Group Manager

I think I am a different applicant because I attended the university I wished to go to vet school at. I moved half way across the country and made as many connections as possible to assure I would be known around the KSUCVM. I have had amazing mentors who have helped me complete this journey and I am so grateful for that. Feel free to PM me with any questions! I look forward to being a resource to other people!

Members don't see this ad :)
21 year old female, PA resident, 1st time applicant,
Major: Pre-Veterinary and Animal Biosciences at University of Delaware
Minors: Spanish and Medical Diagnostics

Applied: Penn, Ohio, Virginia-Maryland, Tufts, Florida, Iowa, Kansas, Illinois, Purdue, St. George's
Rejected: Ohio, Virginia-Maryland
Interviewed: Penn, Tufts, Florida, Kansas, St. George's
Declined interviews: Iowa, Illinois, Purdue
Waitlisted: None
Accepted: Penn, Florida, St. George's, Kansas State, Tufts
Attending: Penn

Overall GPA: 3.566
Science GPA: 3.08
Last 45: 3.47

GRE (Q/V/W): 157/161/5.5 (I took it twice though, and the second time I was sick I did much much worse. Luckily, they only took the best scores)

Veterinary:
Did some work with a poultry pathologist ~5 hours
VIDA trip, working in spay and neuter clinics in Latin America ~56 hours
TA'd Anatomy with a veterinarian professor ~90 hours
Volunteered at UPenn Small Animal Vet Hospital ~150 hours
Shadowed at Small Animal Practice ~150 hours

Animal:
Classroom experience with cows, sheep, horses, chickens
Volunteered at local beef and pork farm
Became certified in bovine artificial insemination
Cared for chickens for research projects
Volunteer at therapeutic horseback riding center
Volunteer at a bird rescue
Puppy sitter for guiding eyes for the blind
and a bunch of small experiences like helping with chickens at a museum event, competing in NESA, manning a petting zoo, goat sitting, volunteering at a kitten adoption day, owning pets, horseback riding

Research:
Worked with a vet studying regenerative medicine in mice
Senior thesis on avian microbiomes
Studied stress in poultry species

Employment:
Anatomy TA
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor/Arts and Crafts Director
Peer Mentor for University Honors Program

Undergrad Involvement:
President and founder of VIDA club
Vice President and Co-founder of Board Game Club
President of AZ fraternity
Treasurer of Animal Science Club (Block and Bridle)
College Ambassador
Involved in small orchestra
Intramural softball
Volunteer at half-way home
Participated in various philanthropic events (ie. Relay for Life)
Floor Senator
Swing Dance Club
Scuba Diving
I was also very involved in high school and started my own Animal Rescue Club.

Awards:
Won a public speaking contest, various scholarships, deans list... also a bunch of awards from high school

LORS:
1. Vet I shadowed for like 5 years
2. Vet I did research with at Penn
3. Senior thesis adviser
4. Adviser for a club I started (also a vet)
5. Employer
6. Vet from my VIDA trip

Personal Statement:

Focused a lot on my experience working in underprivileged communities in spay and neuter clinics and how it solidified my decision to become a veterinarian and allowed me to gain an interest in international vet med, public health and pathology. I juxtaposed those clinics with clinics I've seen in the US. I talked about specifics of what I did there, talked about how I plan to use my minors in Spanish and medical diagnostics, talked about heartbreaking cases and issues often seen in vet med (abuse, aggression, financial instability, zoonosis, informing owners about the death of a pet). And I talked about interesting cases (ie. TVT) I saw while abroad. Talked about starting my own club based on this experience, and about how important veterinary research is to help problems like this. Then I wrote about my research experience. I spoke about why communication and interpersonal skills are important in vet med and went on to talk about my leadership experiences and commitment to the field of vet med.

Hope this helps! I depended a lot on these to relieve stress (or create stress sometimes, haha) as I was applying. My one piece of advice is don't worry so much about grades. They don't have to be perfect, but you should definitely get as much experience as possible in a bunch of different animal-related fields. Take advantage of every opportunity thrown your way. Good luck!

Last edited:
Here goes...

Veterinary:

Animal:

LORS:

If you add a couple thousand hours my app will look very similar to yours with ANY LUCK. (here's lookin' at you, pre reqs) I'll also be 26 at application, I've got right now over 8000 vet hours and 10000 animal hours. I am planning on asking my gen chem professor to write a LOR along with two vets at two SA practices. This gives me so much hope :D Congratulations!!!

If you add a couple thousand hours my app will look very similar to yours with ANY LUCK. (here's lookin' at you, pre reqs) I'll also be 26 at application, I've got right now over 8000 vet hours and 10000 animal hours. I am planning on asking my gen chem professor to write a LOR along with two vets at two SA practices. This gives me so much hope :D Congratulations!!!
ah... fellow post-bacc'er? i'm sure you'll rock your prereqs.... how ironic about the same LORS too! Be hopeful - you sound like you'll have a strong app with all of those vet hours too. Apply to the same schools I did :) I picked ones that placed a lot of weight on last 45/science GPA and basically applied to every one of those schools. In retrospect, probably could have saved a few dollars and knocked a few off the list....Oh well, better safe than sorry. Anyway, good luck and let me know if you have any questions now or during your application process!

NJ resident, 1st time applicant as a junior at Kansas State University. 21 Years Old.
Skipping Senior year and starting vet school in August with no degree!!
Applied: K-State
Interviewed: K-State (Interviewed on 12/15 and heard 1/4 if anyone is curious)
Accepted: K-State

Overall GPA: 3.49
Science GPA: 3.33
Last 45: 3.69

GRE: Sorry y'all! I did not have to take this. I know, I know. You all hate me.. I wish everyone could have been in the same position as me. At KSU if you take all your pre-reqs here you do not have to submit a GRE score for vet school.

Undergrad Stuff:
I was very involved in many leadership positions!
Sigma Alpha Professional Agricultural Sorority- Scholarship Chair
College of Ag Student Council Course and Curriculum Rep
Pre-Vet Club
Block and Bridle

Animal Experience:
13 Years of Raising Sheep in 4-H!! I think I wrote on my VMCAS 4500 hours after doing a weekly calculation of my experiences.
Riding and Showing Horses
Tufts Adventures in Veterinary Medicine Enrichment Program
Little American Royal at KSU Department of Animal Science- Showed Beef and Dairy Cattle

Vet Experience:
1 Summer working at a lab in an equine clinic
3 years in undergrad working at the vet school with Swine Research Group- worked with PRRS virus with 200 pigs
300 hours shadowing small animal vet
25 hours with mixed animal vet in Kansas

LORS:
1 small animal vet
Animal nutrition Professor
Advisor
Research Group Manager

I think I am a different applicant because I attended the university I wished to go to vet school at. I moved half way across the country and made as many connections as possible to assure I would be known around the KSUCVM. I have had amazing mentors who have helped me complete this journey and I am so grateful for that. Feel free to PM me with any questions! I look forward to being a resource to other people!

Im a SA sister too! *waves*

23, female, MD, 1st time applicant.

Major/minor: Biological sciences/chemistry with high honors at Smith College
Applied: UPenn, Tufts, Cornell
Rejected: none
Interviewed: UPenn
Declined interviews: Tufts
Waitlisted: Cornell
Accepted: UPenn w/scholarship
Attending: UPenn

Overall GPA: 3.7
Science GPA: 3.66
Last 45: 3.7ish
GRE (Q/V/W): 155/161/4

Experience:
110+ hours at a SA practice (assisted during appts, ran/prepared lab work, observed surgeries)
2000+ hours working with laboratory animals at the NIH (restraint techniques, IM/IP/Sub-q injections, blood draws from sup vena cava, intraocular, lymph node extraction, observation of necropsies)
750+ hours at an NIH summer internship (molecular biology--nonmuscle myosin and tropomyosin)
500+ hours doing an undergrad thesis (mammalian cell culture, proteomics)
4000+ hours of virus culture and titration, possible 1st and/or 2nd authorship on scientific papers
400+ hours as a secretary at a dog grooming shop
750+ hours as a farm assistant (this experience includes some minor medical treatment of cattle, sheep, pigs, and chickens)
400+ hours as an animal care intern at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary (was lucky enough to be able to observe surgeries and hydrotherapy as well. also designed/built a physical therapy "wheelchair" for rabbits infected with E. cuniculi)
6+ months working at a pet store

Extra curriculars in college:
Novice rower for Smith crew
Treasurer of the pre-vet club
Biology tutor at Smith

Awards in college:
Dean's list multiple years
First group scholar (whatever that means)
High honors for my senior thesis

Letters:
my current PI (a DVM)
my undergraduate research adviser
my mentor/PI from my NIH summer internship
the SA vet I worked for
my immunology/microbiology prof

Personal Statement:
Talked about experiences at small animal clinic, animal sanctuary, and various research labs. As for the "how I got into vet med," I focused a lot on the science/medicine aspect of it. Indicated that my interests were in research/shelter medicine/dermatology.

I've also spent a gap year post-college at the NIH as a post-bac, which I'm sure helped a lot!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
New York State Resident
B.S. in neuroscience
First time applicant

Applied: UPenn, Cornell, UF, Iowa, Ross, Missouri, Minnesota, Ohio
Rejected: Iowa, Ohio, Missouri
Interview offer: UF, Ross, Minnesota
Declined interviews: UF, Ross, Minnesota
Waitlisted: none
Accepted: Cornell
Attending: Cornell :)
I have not heard back from UPenn yet but Cornell was my dream school so I am confident in my choice :)

GPA: 3.36
Pre-Req GPA: 3.40
science GPA: not sure 3.3-3.0(had a C+ 2nd semester orgo)
Last 45 GPA: 3.40

GRE : 164 V (93%), 157 Q (69%), 4.0 W (52%)

Veterinary Experience:
Shadowed at two SA clinics: 250 hours
Shadowed an equine vet: 6 hours

Animal Experience:
Shelter: 100 hours
Zoo Internship: 240 hours
Zoo docent (did programs at local events with exotics): 50
Wildlife rehab internship: 420
Wildlife rehab volunteer: 280
Marine mammal and sea turtle rescue internship: 140
Horsemanship internship: 140
Counselor for Horseback riding research study/ obesity camp: 100
Personal horseback riding lessons:~300
Personal pet ownership (don't know how useful this is): ~5000?

Research:
Maternal effects on development and reproduction (using rats)
100 hours

Extra-Curriculars:
Licensed NYS wildlife rehabber
Pre-vet club
NYSWRA (NY wildlife rehab association member)
Rainbow Pride Union member
Ran cross country, winter track and spring track in high school and captained all three

Employment:
2 summers being a manager at a mini golf

eLORs:
head wildlife rehabilitator
head zoo keeper
SA Vet
Marine biologist
bio professor

My personal statement was ok. I had a lot of people help editing it but I am not a strong writer and just focused on my animal experiences.

I am very happy to be posting here. I hope this helps someone out in the future. (Especially to those who have a low GRE) :)

Arkansas Resident
B.S. in Animal Science (with an emphasis on Pre-Veterinary Medicine)
First time applicant

Applied: Kansas, Missouri, Mississippi, LSU
Rejected: Kansas
Interview offer: Missouri, Mississippi, LSU
Declined interviews: Mississippi, LSU
Accepted: Missouri
Attending: MIZZOU!!! :)
I declined my other interviews once I got accepted into Missouri since it was my top choice!

GPA: 3.94
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
Last 45 GPA: 4.0

GRE : 150 V (44%), 151 Q (45%), 3.0 W (14%) .... Not great, but I am in!

Veterinary Experience:
Working at a small animal/exotic/emergency clinic as a veterinary assistant (and an after hours assistant): 5000+ hours
Shadowed a zoo veterinarian: 50 hours

Animal Experience:
Working at my school's Petting Zoo each semester: 50 hours
Animal Science class where I neutered piglets, drew blood from cows, vaccinated all the farm animals, and participated in artificial inseminations : 60 hours
Volunteered at the local humane society: 5o hours
Memphis Zoo internship (worked with hippos, warthogs, gazelles, etc.): 330 hours
Volunteered at a low cost feline neuter clinic: 14 hours
Volunteered with a mobile vet clinic doing low cost rabies vaccines : 10 hours
Horse Production class ( I didn't have much horse experience so in this class, we learned the basics like deworming) : 15 hours
Volunteered at local horse rodeos: 20 hours

Research:
Microbiology class (We were given a sample of hamburger meat and a nose swab. From that we had to isolate two different types of bacteria, identify them and write a report over it) : 70 hours
Not sure if this really counts as research, but I included it anyway.

Extra-Curriculars:
Habitat for Humanity
Pre-Vet Club President
Equine Club
Beta Club
FBLA
Yearbook Staff
Took notes for my school's Disability Service

Employment:
General Chemistry Supplemental Instructor (I basically taught a class that reinforced what the students were learning in their Chemistry classes) : 240 hours

Honors and Awards:
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society
National Society of Collegiate Honors
Chancellors List every semester
Delta Tau Alpha Honor Society
Homecoming Queen
I also listed all of my scholarships here, but I won't bore you with all of them.

eLORs:
SA Vet/Owner of the clinic I work at
Another SA vet from the clinic
My advisor/Animal Science Professor
Manager of the SA clinic

Hope this helps someone out there!! If anyone has any questions about dual degree programs, I've been on my share of interviews and would be happy to discuss it with you via private message or email :)

NJ resident, 1st time applicant (took a gap year graduated May 2023)... Rutgers alum!!
F, 22

Applied: Cornell, Davis, Florida, tufts, penn, Ohio, Washington, Vmrc, western, ncsu, Colorado
Rejected: nowhere (yet haha)... Not accepted into dual degree at Davis but potential separate offer with large stipend for grad school there.
Interviewed: UF, Davis(dual degree), tufts, penn(dual degree), western, Colorado(dual degree)
Waitlisted: Davis (vet school)
Accepted: UF, Cornell, tufts, western, Colorado (dual degree)

Still waiting on ncsu and penn (dual degree)

Overall GPA: 4.00/4.00
Last 45: 4.00

159,159, 5

Other School Things:
Undergraduate TA in two honors seminars and physiology.
Graduated valedictorian with three majors and two minors.
Worked full time during most of school due to financial and personal reasons.
Very involved in the campus community (honors program, animal science department)
Played the flute and piccolo in community concert band

Animal Experience:
140 sheep/goat routine care and veterinary treatment
120 dairy cattle routine care and veterinary treatment
100 shelter work and various volunteer activities including sitting seeing eye puppies in training.
Started a small animal welfare and outreach group around campus. Fed feral cats, organized community lectures and worked with therapy animals around campus.

Vet Experience:
2500 hours small animal hospitals (combo of private and public/vca chain) practices.
800+ biomedical research hours... 3 years working in here different labs. Including my own independent thesis that i publically defended.

Employment
2500+ small animal... Kennel assistant (learned a lot from treatment techs and doctors and helped in treatment when needed).
Three years part time chemistry tutor (15 hr/week)
Two years part time residence life
90 hours supplemental instructor for upper level biochemistry
90 hours private tutor for student athletes
250 hours as a nanny for two young boys.

After graduating I kept the tutoring position and continued working in the small animal hospital. Also took on a staff position at rutgers teaching in honors seminars for the 2013 to 2014 school year. Recently left the small animal practice and work as an animal care tech at the park system near my house. And now also professionally tutor chemistry to high school students at a test prep center. I love working with people and animals!! :)

LORS:
1 small animal vet
Professor from sheep goat class
My research professor for honors thesis
Animal science department head (also my professor in three classes my advisor and mentored my small animal club)
Director of honors program (worked as his at for two years of undergrad, had five classes with, got to know very well and still work for him post graduation as an instructor).

Personal statement: talked about my developing interests in vet med... Always wanted to be a vet, but shifted more towards research end of profession, as I progressed through college and discovered how it also reflected my passions of science and teaching. Also mentioned my family and financial hardships...and how I worked full time, even though I was committed to doing well in school. Explained how taking a year off made me grow as an applicant and person.

You're a rockstar!! Come to UF and we can study together :D

I am very happy to be posting here. I hope this helps someone out in the future. (Especially to those who have a low GRE) :)

Arkansas Resident
B.S. in Animal Science (with an emphasis on Pre-Veterinary Medicine)
First time applicant

Applied: Kansas, Missouri, Mississippi, LSU
Rejected: Kansas
Interview offer: Missouri, Mississippi, LSU
Declined interviews: Mississippi, LSU
Accepted: Missouri
Attending: MIZZOU!!! :)
I declined my other interviews once I got accepted into Missouri since it was my top choice!

GPA: 3.94
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
Last 45 GPA: 4.0

GRE : 150 V (44%), 151 Q (45%), 3.0 W (14%) .... Not great, but I am in!

Veterinary Experience:
Working at a small animal/exotic/emergency clinic as a veterinary assistant (and an after hours assistant): 5000+ hours
Shadowed a zoo veterinarian: 50 hours

Animal Experience:
Working at my school's Petting Zoo each semester: 50 hours
Animal Science class where I neutered piglets, drew blood from cows, vaccinated all the farm animals, and participated in artificial inseminations : 60 hours
Volunteered at the local humane society: 5o hours
Memphis Zoo internship (worked with hippos, warthogs, gazelles, etc.): 330 hours
Volunteered at a low cost feline neuter clinic: 14 hours
Volunteered with a mobile vet clinic doing low cost rabies vaccines : 10 hours
Horse Production class ( I didn't have much horse experience so in this class, we learned the basics like deworming) : 15 hours
Volunteered at local horse rodeos: 20 hours

Research:
Microbiology class (We were given a sample of hamburger meat and a nose swab. From that we had to isolate two different types of bacteria, identify them and write a report over it) : 70 hours
Not sure if this really counts as research, but I included it anyway.

Extra-Curriculars:
Habitat for Humanity
Pre-Vet Club President
Equine Club
Beta Club
FBLA
Yearbook Staff
Took notes for my school's Disability Service

Employment:
General Chemistry Supplemental Instructor (I basically taught a class that reinforced what the students were learning in their Chemistry classes) : 240 hours

Honors and Awards:
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society
National Society of Collegiate Honors
Chancellors List every semester
Delta Tau Alpha Honor Society
Homecoming Queen
I also listed all of my scholarships here, but I won't bore you with all of them.

eLORs:
Another SA vet from the clinic
My advisor/Animal Science Professor
Manager of the SA clinic

Haha I totally sympathize with having a less-than-desirable GRE score. I thought more schools would reject me based on that alone. Can't wait to post here! Still waiting on other school responses before I do.
Congrats on all your hard work! :claps:

For those who haven't been gunning toward vet school since age 5, I hope this will give you some inspiration!

WA resident, 28 yrs. old, male, non-trad applicant
B.A. Environmental Studies/Biology, Whitman College
First time applicant

Cum. GPA ~3.55
Sci. GPA ~3.4
Last 45 GPA ~3.6

Applied: WSU, OSU, Auburn, Kansas State, Ross, Dublin
Rejected: Kansas State, OSU, Auburn, but these were only because of issues with prerequisites expiring and me not wanting to retake a ton of classes :)
Interview offer: WSU, Auburn, Ross
Declined interviews: Auburn, Ross
Accepted: WSU
Attending: WSU

GRE : 168 V (98%), 162 Q (85%), 4.5 W (75%)

Veterinary Experience:
~300 hrs. shadowing our local SA vet
350 hrs. vet assistant at a (horrible) SA/exotics hospital
1900 hrs. working as a receptionist at a SA hospital
~200 hrs. volunteering at a shelter
~100 hrs. shadowing an equine vet

Animal Experience:
Volunteering at Seattle Aquarium ~500 hrs.
Helping my host fam in the Peace Corps with milking, slaughtering, etc. ~200 hrs.
Dog-sitting for random people ~200 hrs.

Research:
Thesis on ecological changes in Maasai rangelands while studying abroad in Kenya

Extra-Curriculars:
Eagle Scout
Philanthropy Chair of my frat in college
College environmental club

Employment:
Other than the above, I was in the Peace Corps in Nicaragua for two years and worked at a tech startup for a year after that.

eLORs:
My boss from the Peace Corps
My thesis advisor from college

Stay strong folks!

Haha I totally sympathize with having a less-than-desirable GRE score. I thought more schools would reject me based on that alone. Can't wait to post here! Still waiting on other school responses before I do.
Congrats on all your hard work! :claps:

Thank you! :) And yeah I know Kansas rejected me due to my low GRE, which I expected. Missouri only counts 4% on GRE, so that really helped me out. I worked really hard to keep a high GPA, because I am a horrible standardized test taker. :(

I can't wait to see you post on here either!! Good luck with the rest of your responses!!

You're a rockstar!! Come to UF and we can study together :D

Aww thanks Ladybear!!! :D:D:D
By the way your avatar is so cute!! Is that your kitty? Mine is a little Russian blue mix and looks just like that :cat:

Alrighty, here goes! I hope this'll help both current and future SDNers out there. Seriously, this professional school network has been one of the best resources for me. Still can't believe I'm gonna be a vet!

23, Male, Tennessee resident
First-time applicant
B.S. in Animal Sciences (Science Option), Spanish Minor
Graduated Fall 2013 With Distinction from Penn State (We Are…)

Applied: Glasgow, Missouri, Ohio State, Iowa State, Tennessee, Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin
Interview Offers: Glasgow, Missouri, Ohio State, Iowa State, Tennessee, Minnesota, Illinois
Declined Interviews: Glasgow, Minnesota
Wait-Listed: Iowa State
Rejected: None
Accepted: Ohio State, Missouri, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Illinois
Attending: Wisconsin :D

Cumulative GPA: 3.79 - 3.80
Pre-Req GPA: 3.63 - 3.70 (depending on the school)
Last 45 GPA: 3.70 range

GRE: 154 V (62%), 146 Q (25% <-- FAIL :eek:), 5 AW (93%)

Veterinary Experience:
· Banfield Pet Hospital – 2.5 years volunteering mostly on weekends and holiday breaks (sophomore year to senior year of high school); mostly dogs and cats, but occasionally exotics (i.e. birds, ferrets, miscellaneous pocket pets)
· Carothers Parkway Veterinary Clinic – 7 weeks full-time the summer before college; only dogs and cats
· University of Tennessee Veterinary Teaching Hospital – 1 week full-time, part of the Veterinary Summer Experience Program (VSEP, basically I spent 7 weeks working at Carothers Parkway, and a week at UTK doing clinical rotations with fourth-year students; I also had to present a case study from the clinic I worked at); clinical rotations were mostly with dogs and cats, but got some large animal (i.e. cattle, goat, llama) experience here too

Animal Experience:
· Pet ownership for 11 years – owned a Labrador retriever, several types of tropical fish, and a cockatiel
· Saddle Up Therapeutic Riding Center – counselor and horse handler at two summer camps for children with physical or mental disabilities (35 hours a week during the summer)
· Great Day of Service – my high school senior service project was volunteering at Owl’s Hill Nature Sanctuary with rehabilitated owls (about 8 hours)
· Classroom experience (pretty much all 4.5 years of college) – a lot of my animal science classes involved animal handling, mostly with small mammals like mice, rats, gerbils, hamsters, rabbits, etc. but occasionally got to handle dairy cattle, beef cattle, and poultry; my school also has a deer research facility that I got to visit a few times (slightly random); one of my favorite classes was wildlife behavior because I got to do a group project on the foraging behavior of backyard birds
· Nittany Greyhounds – one-week full-time externship with retired racing greyhounds and trying to find homes for them; the place was also a kennel for boarding dogs
· University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign – my first research study (see below) on beef cattle nutrition; microchip insertion, blood collection, rumen fluid sampling, moving cattle in and out of the shoots, feeding the designated diets for each set of cows, assisting with occasional biopsies, and of course…picking up poop
· The Ohio State University – my second research study (see below) on mucosal immunology in pigs; feeding, weighing, blood collection, taking temperatures, injecting appropriate doses of Telazol (sedative) to each pig prior to slaughter (the research involved analyzing lung tissue samples, so it was kinda necessary)
· Canine Border Patrol Center in Front Royal, VA – a day trip to observe the training and veterinary care that goes into preparing dogs for border patrol work

Research Experience:
· University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign – nine weeks of full-time research on beef cattle nutrition to find a cost-effective alternative for corn in their diets
· The Ohio State University – nine weeks of full-time research on mucosal immunology in pigs to test the effectiveness of 8 nanoparticle-entrapped vaccines against the porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome (PRRS) virus (I think this research also made news, which was kinda cool)

Side note…the research program I did was called the Summer Research Opportunities Program (SROP), which was through the Big Ten Conference. It allows college students from across the country to gain research experience while getting a taste of graduate and professional education; the program also requires students to do research writing and presentations on the projects they helped with over the course of the summer

Employment:
· Lafferty Law Firm – part-time Spanish translator for a summer (maybe 10-20 hours a week?)

Extracurriculars:
· Governor’s School for International Studies (GSIS) at the University of Memphis
· Model United Nations (MUN)
· Youth Legislature (or Youth in Government, YIG) – my senior year resolution was on protecting honeybee populations from the excessive use of harmful pesticides
· RHS Link Crew – basically helping with new student orientations for incoming high school freshmen
· Black and Red high school newspaper staff
· Spanish National Honor Society (Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica)
· National Honor Society
· Pre-Vet Club – gained a lot of animal experience through community volunteering (i.e. pet meet-and-greets for the elderly at retirement homes, pet healthcare seminars for local area middle school students); served on a leadership panel to advise underclassmen on how to prepare for vet school
· Penn State Dance Marathon (THON) – raising money through the Four Diamonds Fund to research a cure for pediatric cancer; a lot of the money also goes toward each child’s cancer treatments and medical coverage for families
· Four-week study abroad in Mexico through the Spanish for Agricultural Sciences Program
· Campus Crusade for Christ (Cru) – served as a co-leader of Media Team (I got to make videos through programs like iMovie) and a discipleship leader to provide one-on-one mentorship to an underclassman
· Residence Life Link Crew – basically helping incoming freshmen move in and get acclimated with life in college (similar to what I did in high school, but in college and on a much larger scale)

Honors and Awards:
· Max Hardin Fromm Scholarship
· Penn State Endowed Scholarship
· Bunton-Waller Fellowship
· President’s Freshman Award
· Dean’s List every semester of college
· AgSciences Facts Cover Photo
· American Society of Animal Science (ASAS) Scholastic Achievement Award two years in a row
· Outstanding Poster Award from the University of Illinois Summer Research Symposium
· Certificate of Achievement for my research at Ohio State University

eLORS:
· Three professors I got to know very well through classes, all of whom have DVMs
· My research supervisor at Ohio State, who also has a DVM

Personal Statement / Uniqueness Essays:
I organized my personal statement in kind of a story format. I began with a recent conversation I had with a friend about his dog with a sudden case of vomiting. Leading up to the time I applied for vet school, people often asked me questions about their pets, and I tried to give my best answer for each case. Diagnosing each situation allowed me to reflect on my longstanding passion for veterinary medicine since age three. From then on, I highlighted the experiences (some of the ones listed above) in my life that were most influential to my development as an aspiring vet. I also acknowledged that I wouldn’t have gotten to where I am now without the many individuals who have shaped my path along the way. In terms of uniqueness (specifically for Wisconsin), I highlighted my cultural blend of American and Nigerian heritage and how that shapes the way I think about myself, as well as the world around me. I also acknowledged that I am an African-American male, and people of my cultural background make up an underrepresented portion of the veterinary field. I described how my life mirrored that of a Wisconsin vet school alum of the same heritage (Dr. Ramard Wright, DVM), and how my cultural background further motivates me to fulfill my childhood dream of becoming a vet.

Other Thoughts:
I thought my GRE scores would be a huge hindrance in my application. After looking at applicant stats from previous years, I got pretty discouraged with mine. For those who don’t have the best GRE scores, there is still hope – especially if a school counts the GRE for a small part of the admissions process. I think my GPA and diversity of veterinary, animal, and research experience really helped my chances. In talking with admissions committee members, they often touched on those aspects of my application. I never expected to get as many interview offers as I did, and I never thought I would decline any of them. Interview questions posted on SDN were the best way to practice. All of my interviews were fairly laid back and conversational, so I felt a lot less pressure - even if I didn’t feel I did my best (no interview will be completely perfect, so don’t stress about it). I’m not sure if many people have mentioned this before, but now that I think about it…writing skills are crucial – especially for schools that don’t interview. Admissions committee members get their first impression of you as a person from how you write. It’s especially important to convey why you’re passionate about vet medicine, your understanding of what vets do, and what sets you apart from other applicants. Getting writing feedback from people you know in vet school, your recommendation writers, and family is a huge help.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
20 yr old female VA resident, 1st time applicant
Undergrad: VT, Sophomore

Applied: VMRCVM
Rejected: nope
Interviewed: VMRCVM
Declined interviews: none
Waiting to hear: no
Waitlisted: no
Accepted: VMRCVM
Attending: VMRCVM!

Overall GPA: 4.0
Last 45: 4.0

GRE (Q/V/W): 156/157/3.5 (mediocre)

Veterinary:
Vet assistant at a SA clinic – 300 (again- mediocre)

Animal Experience:

24 hours in animal control
300 in veterinary science class
A few other classes with hands on large animal practice
pet ownership

Research

90 hours Postmortem metabolism of muscle

Non-Animal Employment:

student manager
food server

LORs:

Advisor
department head
friend/financial advisor
veterinarian from SA clinic

Extras:

Pre-vet club
deans list

Personal statement: Why I want to attend SOLELY VMRCVM.

Nothing too fancy here, just good planning.

Don't give up hope. 51 years old with a 2.5 GPA for my BS. It can be done. I was sure my undergrad GPA was a deal breaker, but I was wrong. I'm glad I finally tried. Better late than never!

Lifetime Tennessee Resident
Male, 51 years old
First time applicant

Applied: Tennessee
Interviewed: Tennessee
Accepted: Tennessee
Attending: Tennessee

Cum GPA 3.0
Undergrad Science GPA 2.7
Last 45 Undergrad GPA 3.0
Undergrad GPA 2.5 (BS), 2.6 All Undergrad hours
Graduate GPA 3.8
4.0 GPA in 17 hours post baccalaureate vet school prerequisites. Genetics, advanced cellular biology, organic chem I and II, and biochemistry.

GRE: V:168 (98%) Q:168 (96%) AW:5.0 (93%)

Degrees:
BS: Biomedical Engineering GPA 2.5
MS: Solid/Biomechanics GPA 3.64
PhD: Radiation Protection/Medical Imaging GPA 3.74
MBA: GPA 3.77
MA Philosophy (Medical and Animal Ethics, Epistemology, Phil of Sci) GPA 3.87

Veterinary Experience: 522 total hours. Mostly shelter medicine and small animal. 24 hours oncology. 8 hours radiation oncology. Roughly 10 hours each in equine and exotics.
Animal Experience: Pet Ownership. MANY thousands of hours.
Research: Many thousands of hours. Over 70 peer reviewed scientific publications (Papers and/or abstracts, mostly in medical physics)
LORs: 5 total, all PhD or DVM.
Work: 20+ years experience. Oak Ridge National Lab, ORAU, Founded a medical physics consulting company, reviewer for the FDA, clinical site cancer therapy certification grantor for glaxosmithkline. Former Captain, US Army Reserve, Nuclear medical science officer.
Other Professional: Many time invited speaker, moderator, and educator at national scientific meetings (Society of Nuclear Medicine). Journal reviewer, lecturer, board of directors member in several corporations, etc.

Reactions: 18 users
I got into Virginia Tech, alternate some places and waiting to hear back from one school but I'm perfectly content and not in the least worried about bad luck :)

21 year old Female OOS applicant, from Calgary (Canada)
Applied to: Oregon, Colorado, Virginia, North Carolina
Accepted: Virginia

Cum. GPA: 3.70
Science GPA: 3.70
Graduated Magna Cum Laude in 3.5 years with BSc in Animal Science :D

GRE : V-161, Q-154, W-5 could have done waaaaaay better in quantitative, but it didn't seem to be a huge deal in the end

Other academic accomplishments:
- Honors degree (the magna cum laude bit)
- Publication in Mammalian Genome, due to my significant contribution in obtaining samples
- Did my undergrad on a presidential scholarship (basically a full ride + a lot of networking events)

Veterinary Experience: 474 hours (350h small animal clinic, shadowing and working as a kennel tech/vet-tech-assistant, the rest is equine/food animal)
Animal Experience: 425 hours (includes spring lambing aid for several years, volunteering at shelters, a riding class)
Research Experience: 1150 hours (this is by far my most significant and outstanding experience. Most of that was spent doing hepatectomy surgeries on live mice, to get liver samples to create a model for stem cell regeneration. My survival rate was >95% (maybe 98%) and I did over 800 of these surgeries. I wound up a co-author for a publication in Mammalian Genome as a result. I also worked a bit/shadowed with the lab animal vet on site, she was awesome and made me really interested in lab animal medicine.)

Other stuff:
- Taekwondo instructor/black belt/on the provincial team
- Proficient pianist
- Receptionist at MSU's career center (not my favorite)
- A LOT of general chemistry tutoring
- Volunteer for the local trail runner clubs (Not much of a runner myself but speed hiking as clean up crew for big events/fundraisers is always fun!)
- Secretary/PR person of QSA club
- Member of pre-vet club
I didn't mention animal ownership because it didn't seem that significant but I have lots of those too.

I don't think I'm the most outstanding or unique candidate but I have a few solid things going for me, and interview extremely well :)

Are you a Penn State alum also?!?!?!? Hi friend!!!!!! :highfive:
Seriously, I absolutely loved it there. I miss it SO much

Yep!! I bleed blue and white :bow: haha!!!! :D . I miss it terribly! I'll send you a PM! :highfive:

23 yr old female WI resident (but originally from Utah, only been in WI for 18 months), 1st time applicant
Undergrad: Utah State University - B.S. Business

Applied: University of Wisconsin
Interviewed: none
Declined interviews: none
Waiting to hear: none
Accepted: University of Wisconsin
Attending: University of Wisconsin!!!

Overall GPA: 3.63
Science GPA: 3.73 ish
Last 45: 3.7

GRE (Q/V/W): 152/156/4.5 (mediocre)

Veterinary Experience:
Office Manager at SA clinic - 800
Vet assistant (paid and unpaid) at multiple SA clinic – 1,500
Shadowing LA - 100

Animal Experience:
120 hours Zoo Caretaker
50 nature center "critter corner" (pocket pets)
45 Animal shelter

Research
3 business research projects (nothing fancy, each less than 15 hours a piece)

Non-Animal Employment:
everything from engineering administrative assistant to lifeguard total of 5,000ish hours since I was 16 years old

eLORs:
SA veterinarian at clinic I currently manage
Pre-vet prof. / advisor from USU
Supervisor from business internship

Extras:
all the usual stuff - lots of high school clubs, multiple fundraisers (relay for life, etc), Dean's lists, scholarships, yadda yadda

Personal statement: How I was influenced by AAHA and the AZA from a business standpoint in regards to the veterinary profession.

Reactions: 2 users
22 yr old male
VA resident, 2nd time applicant
B.S. Biology and a few graduate classes

Applied: VMRCVM, Western U, KSU, Iowa State
Rejected: VMRCVM
Interviewed: Western, KSU, ISU
Alternate: ISU
Accepted: Western, KSU
Attending: Western U as of now

Overall GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.1

GRE (Q/V/W): 158/159/4.5 (72% 81% 78%)

Veterinary:
Shadowing at general private practice- 100 hrs
Shadowing ECC at specialty center- 50 hrs

Animal Experience:
1000+ hrs at animal shelter with small animal, wildlife, exotics, and some large animal

Research
Research on wood frogs about 100 hrs

LORs:
Small animal practice vet I shadowed
Preprofessional advisor/zoology professor I did research with
Micro bio professor
Manager at shelter

Extras:
4 years as NCAA athlete
Deans list
Presidential scholar
Academic All conference team x3
Distinguished scholar for NCAA conference
Lots of various community service

Non animal employment:
Lifeguarding
Swim coaching

Personal statement: Maturation of my interest in vet med. A paragraph each on how my academics, athletics and job have prepared me for vet school and goals for career.

Even without a stellar GPA its possible to get in to schools. Smart planning and working on my strengths helped me. Its important to find schools that both fit you and you have a good chance of getting into. Once you figure that out, research the school and what they are looking for in applicants. Just be smart

Reactions: 4 users
Side note- I love getting notifications that there are more posts on this thread. That means more future vets!! Congrats everyone!! :):laugh::cat::joyful::happy::D

22 yr old male
VA resident, 2nd time applicant
B.S. Biology and a few graduate classes

Applied: VMRCVM, Western U, KSU, Iowa State
Rejected: VMRCVM
Interviewed: Western, KSU, ISU
Alternate: ISU
Accepted: Western, KSU
Attending: Western U as of now

Overall GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.1

GRE (Q/V/W): 158/159/4.5 (72% 81% 78%)

Veterinary:
Shadowing at general private practice- 100 hrs
Shadowing ECC at specialty center- 50 hrs

Animal Experience:
1000+ hrs at animal shelter with small animal, wildlife, exotics, and some large animal

Research
Research on wood frogs about 100 hrs

LORs:
Small animal practice vet I shadowed
Preprofessional advisor/zoology professor I did research with
Micro bio professor
Manager at shelter

Extras:
4 years as NCAA athlete
Deans list
Presidential scholar
Academic All conference team x3
Distinguished scholar for NCAA conference
Lots of various community service

Non animal employment:
Lifeguarding
Swim coaching

Personal statement: Maturation of my interest in vet med. A paragraph each on how my academics, athletics and job have prepared me for vet school and goals for career.

Even without a stellar GPA its possible to get in to schools. Smart planning and working on my strengths helped me. Its important to find schools that both fit you and you have a good chance of getting into. Once you figure that out, research the school and what they are looking for in applicants. Just be smart

If you don't mind my asking, was your science GPA at Iowa a 3.1?

23 yr old New Jersey resident, graduated with honors
1st time applicant
Applied: Cornell, VMRCM, Wisconsin, Kansas, Purdue, UPenn
Rejected: VMRCVM, Cornell
Interviewed: KSU, Purdue
Alternate: KSU
Accepted: Purdue
Attending: Purdue :love:(I’m not going to bother waiting to hear from Wisconsin or UPenn, I really wanted Purdue!)

Major: Biology pre-professional
(GPA according to VMCAS)
Science GPA: 3.36
Non-science: 3.7
Cumulative: 3.51
Last 45 (ish): ~3.8 (its hard for me to determine since its more like 47 & I took a course following graduation)

GRE (Bleh!):
Verbal: 154 (62%)
Quant: 153 (53%)
Writing: 4.5 (78%)

Experience - animal

Vet experience (small animal) hours: 2,500 (only 200 hours unpaid)
Wildlife volunteer: 52
Animal laboratory (paid): 392
Dog groomer: 275
Equine stable hand(paid): 1,100

Non-animal

Independent student research: 48
Biology tutor on campus(paid): 150
Microbiology lab tech on campus(paid): 266

Currently employed full time at an animal hospital

The only award I have from college is graduating Cum Laude. The other two were scholarships I won in high school from the National Honors society. And most of my community activities were from high school as well. The only ones from college are chemistry club, ultimate club (VP), student govt (treasurer) and wildlife society.

Letters of recommendation

2 of the 3 vets I currently work for
My microbiology employer/ molecular biology professor
(and for Cornell only)
Wildlife center employee
Animal laboratory manager

I think my personal statement was how I came about choosing vet med…I’ve only read it a handful of times.
I think my stats go to show even average people have a chance! ;)

Looking at this thread and the one from last year helped me a lot! I hope others find it just as helpful. Congrats to all those who have been accepted and good luck to future applicants that may be stalking this thread. Here are my stats:

22 year old, female, Wisconsin resident

Applied: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Purdue
Interviewed: Minnesota, Purdue
Acceped: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Purdue
Attending: Wisconsin

Academic:
Major: Biology and Pre-Vet
Minor: Animal Science and Chemistry
Cumulative GPA: 3.992
Last 30 credits GPA: 4.0
GRE:152 (V), 156 (Q), 4(W)

Vet Experience:

Vet Assistant at 24hr Emergency and Specialty Clinic: ~1000hr
Dog Sled Race Vet Check Volunteer: ~12 hr
Equine Hospital: 70 hrs
Vet Shadow: 30 hr

Animal Experience:
Shelter Volunteer: 20 hrs
Dog Sled Race Volunteer: 30hrs
Kid's Horse Camp: 30 hrs
Therapeutic Riding Center for disabled kids:150 hrs
Horseback Riding/lessons: 500+ hrs
Pet-Sitting: 300+
+more random things

Activities
Collegiate Cross Country and Track Athlete
Companion Animal Club Treasurer
Pre-Vet Club Member
Intervarsity Christian Community
Zoology Lab Assistant
Charity Run/walk volunteer
Assistant High school Cross Country Coach
WI Interprofessional Healthcare Case Competition
+ other volunteer work

Awards
Dean's list
multiple scholarships
Athletic Conference Academic awards

Letters of Rec
2 vets at the emergency clinic
The oncocology tech
my manager at the emergency clinic
my cross country/track coach

Personal statement:
I talked about the human-animal bond and my experiences at the emergency clinic driving my aspirations to become a SA ER vet. I also wrote a short paragraph on the valuable characteristics and skills that I had gained through my participation in college athletics.

I am posting because I honestly did not think my stats were good enough to get into Davis. To anyone who is crazy enough to apply to one school that you feel underqualified for...miracles do happen!

24 yr old female
CA resident, 1st time applicant
B.S. Biology, B.S. Health Science

Applied: UC Davis
Interviewed: UC Davis
Alternate: none
Accepted: UC Davis
Attending: UC Davis!!

Overall GPA: 3.75
Science GPA: 3.84
Last 45: 3.87

GRE (Q/V/W): 161/160/5 (81%/84%/93%)

Veterinary:
4000+ hours vet assistant/receptionist at SA hospital

Animal Experience:
Island fox trapping/vaccination administration ~20 hrs
Small mammal trapping (squirrels, grasshopper mice) ~20 hrs
Pet ownership (dog, cats, parakeets, guinea pigs)

Research
~300 hours small mammal parasitism (poster presentation, thesis, grants, awards, manuscript, etc. from this)
~30 hours research/grading assistant for statistics professor

LORs:
SA Veterinarian
Research PI
Mentor/statistics professor

Extras:
Biology club
Chemistry and Spanish tutor
Volleyball league
Community musicals
Drama club (high school)
Speech and debate (high school)
Mission trips to Mexico (high school)

~$4000 in scholarships/research grants/research awards
Dean's List

Non animal employment:
Lead cashier at clothing store 3000+

Personal statement: Just kind of focused on how even though I didn't decide on veterinary medicine until a few years ago, I strongly pursued my goal by adding a second major, getting a job at a animal hospital, and becoming involved with veterinary related research. Also talked about my desire to combine my interest in research with veterinary medicine to reduce disease transmission in both wildlife and companion pets.

I am posting because I honestly did not think my stats were good enough to get into Davis. To anyone who is crazy enough to apply to one school that you feel underqualified for...miracles do happen!

24 yr old female
CA resident, 1st time applicant
B.S. Biology, B.S. Health Science

Applied: UC Davis
Interviewed: UC Davis
Alternate: none
Accepted: UC Davis
Attending: UC Davis!!

Overall GPA: 3.75
Science GPA: 3.84
Last 45: 3.87

GRE (Q/V/W): 161/160/5 (81%/84%/93%)

Veterinary:
4000+ hours vet assistant/receptionist at SA hospital

Animal Experience:
Island fox trapping/vaccination administration ~20 hrs
Small mammal trapping (squirrels, grasshopper mice) ~20 hrs
Pet ownership (dog, cats, parakeets, guinea pigs)

Research
~300 hours small mammal parasitism (poster presentation, thesis, grants, awards, manuscript, etc. from this)
~30 hours research/grading assistant for statistics professor

LORs:
SA Veterinarian
Research PI
Mentor/statistics professor

Extras:
Biology club
Chemistry and Spanish tutor
Volleyball league
Community musicals
Drama club (high school)
Speech and debate (high school)
Mission trips to Mexico (high school)

~$4000 in scholarships/research grants/research awards
Dean's List

Non animal employment:
Lead cashier at clothing store 3000+

Personal statement: Just kind of focused on how even though I didn't decide on veterinary medicine until a few years ago, I strongly pursued my goal by adding a second major, getting a job at a animal hospital, and becoming involved with veterinary related research. Also talked about my desire to combine my interest in research with veterinary medicine to reduce disease transmission in both wildlife and companion pets.

Why didn't you think your stats were good enough? They look pretty dang good to me, especially since Davis is your IS school. Either way, congrats!

Reactions: 5 users
I am so excited that I get to post here! I can not hardly believe that I am going to be able to do what I LOVE and what I am extremely passionate about. Please ignore my GRE scores, I thought they were really going to hold me back but I am glad they didn't!

22, Female, Virginia resident
Second-time applicant
B.S. in Animal and Veterinary Sciences
Graduated Spring 2013 from Clemson University - GO TIGERS! haha

Applied: Tennessee, Missouri, Purdue, Western, Auburn, Illinois, UGA, Mississippi State, Ohio State, Florida, Minnesota, Midwestern, Upenn, Tufts, UPEI, Oregon State, Colorado State, VMRCVM, and LSU
Interview Offers: Tennessee, Missouri, Purdue, Western, Auburn, Mississippi State, Midwestern, UPEI, and VMRCVM
Declined Interviews: UPEI and Auburn
Wait-Listed: VMRCVM, Colorado State, Oregon State and Mississippi State and UGA
Rejected: Illinois, Ohio State, Florida, Minnesota, Tufts, LSU, and Upenn
Accepted: Tennessee, Purdue, Missouri, Auburn (I did not interview, but was just offered admission based on application), Midwestern and Western.
Attending:MIZZOU!!! :love: :soexcited:

Cumulative GPA: 3.45
Pre-Req GPA: 3.3 – 3.35 (depending on the school)
Last 45 GPA: 3.68

GRE: 143 V 145 Q 4 AW (EPIC FAIL in all categories!)

Veterinary Experience: 2000 hours
· National Institutes of Health (NHLBI): I worked there full time for 3 months. I gained experience handling laboratory animals and doing
research with laboratory animals that included Baboons, mice and swine.
· Cloverleaf Animal Hospital: 1.5 years working in a small animal clinic learning how to administer vaccinations, administering treatments,
drawing blood etc.
· Equine Veterinary Associates: 10 days volunteering at a Large Animal Hospital working primarily with horses and learning about their overall
anatomy.
· University of Tennessee CVM /Collierville Pet Hospital: 8 week program that was my first experience in a clinic where I really learned how to
work with small animals and the every day life of a small animal veterinarian was like. Then I went to UTCVM for 1 week and saw different
cases and presented a project of my own on a case in the clinic I had worked at.

Animal Experience: 1000+ hours
· Pet ownership: I had my Boston terrier for 14 years.
· Poultry Science Club: our club raised turkeys for thanksgiving and sold them to raise money, so as club members we had to feed them and give them water every day.
· Swine Techniques Class: we learned how to process piglets and maintain a swine a far.
· Horse Care Techniques Class: I ride horses, and in the class we learned how to collect semen from a stallion, and learn how to inject
vaccinations and deworm
· Germantown Animal Shelter Volunteer
· Paws and Relax: a pet sitting job I had in high school
· LNA: I halter broke and learned how to show a 2000 lb. beef heifer

Research Experience: 500+ hours
· Clemson University: 5 months working in a lab with rodents learning how to handle them, preform necropsies, and bioassays all while
examining FSH and LH levels in mice.
· Clemson University: 9 months working in the biochemistry lab working on isolating anti cancer peptides from sharks, skates and rays to
contribute to the cure breast cancer.
· National Institutes of Health: 3 months no original research just spent the summer participating in a TON of surgeries and learning how to
intubate animals and monitor vitals during the surgical procedure.

Employment: 300 hours

· The Junior League of Memphis: Worked there for 2 years helping out with filing, writing checks, organizing meetings for members and more.
· NMI Property Management: 6 months, organizing bank records, depositing checks, and managing office space.

Extracurriculars:
· Little North American Exhibition Executive Committee
· Animal and Veterinary Science Ambassador
· Clemson University Dairy Science Club
· Clemson University Poultry Science Club
· Treasurer of Clemson Animal welfare society
· Introduction to Animal Science Teaching Assistant
· Animal Anatomy and Physiology Teaching Assistant
· WAVS Lifeguard: Women in Animal and Veterinary Sciences, I was a mentor to new students.
· Guatemala Mission Trips
· Clemson Pre – Vet Club
· South Africa Study Abroad: Studied the ecology of the land and got to be in the presence of lions, cheetah and meerkats and more.

Honors and Awards:
· NIHLBI Award for completing my internship at the Institute 2013
· Deans List 2012-2013
· Graduated cum laude 2013
· Dairy Science Exhibition Award 2011
· Poultry Science Exhibition Award 2012 – 2013
· Intercultural Collegiate Award 2013
· National Honors Society (High school)
· National Spanish Honors Society (High school)
· Graduated magnum cum laude (High school)

eLORS:
· Three professors: One in biochemistry and the others in our Animal Science Department.
· Two veterinarians: one from NIH and one from a clinic I worked at.

Personal Statement / Uniqueness Essays:
· I started my personal statement with a quote that meant so much to me in a book that I had read freshman year of college called the Souls of
Animals. After that I just basically described how my background and my experiences all have contributed to me being at this point in my life. I
also stated how becoming a veterinarian would help me contribute to humans as well as animals in public health and research.

Last edited:
I'd love to have a fellow Virginian here at Mizzou!! Congrats!! (PS- my GRE scores were awful as well, thankfully Mizzou looks past that!)

I'd love to have a fellow Virginian here at Mizzou!! Congrats!! (PS- my GRE scores were awful as well, thankfully Mizzou looks past that!)
Thank you Rainheart!! I am super excited and I know I was very happy about that fact...! haha

I'm a little embarrassed to post here, but hopefully my way below-average academic stats help some people out for next year. I know this thread always helped me in the past!

First off, here's a little background on why my GPA is so embarrassingly low. I have terrible grades from community college, because I enrolled in a few classes after high school but didn't complete them or drop them. I also enrolled in a vet tech program, then decided to discontinue the program... after the drop date. So I have something like 5 or 6 F's from 9-10 years ago. Ouch. I eventually took college seriously, and I repeated most of the classes I failed (but not the 2 vet tech classes) and transferred to a 4-year university to complete my bachelor's degree (I'll graduate this spring). I applied to all the schools that don't interview, which is why Cornell is on my list (lol).

1st time applicant
28 year old female, CA resident (non-traditional student)
Major: Ecology and Evolutionary Biology (very fun major)
Minor: Psychology

Applied: (11 schools!) Cornell (haha), Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Oregon, Penn, VMRCVM, Washington, Wisconsin, Missouri, Western
Rejected: Cornell (duh), Mizzou, Ohio, Oregon, VMRCVM, Washington, Wisconsin, Penn (finally)
Interviewed: Western, Minnesota
Wait listed: Western
Accepted: Minnesota, Michigan
Attending: Almost certainly Minnesota! :love::soexcited::love:

I'm listing the VMCAS GPA, which includes those F's (most of which were science classes). Some of the schools calculated my GPA differently since I retook most of those classes.
Overall GPA: 3.06 (3.52 if you replace the F's)
Science GPA: 2.73 (I think it's about a 3.2 if you replace the F's)
Last 45: ~3.5

GRE (Q/V/W): 156/166/4.5 = 65%/96%/54% (I hate timed writing)

Vet Experience:
200 - animal shelter employee (I was an animal shelter employee for about 3.5 years. I split up this experience into both animal/vet hours)
370 - animal shelter clinic volunteer
42 - shadowed small animal/exotics vet who also does wildlife rehab (this experience is still ongoing, but was at 42 when i submitted VMCAS)

Animal Experience:
3000 - horseback-riding instructor (I didn't include the hours I spent riding growing up, only the time I was a paid employee)
2300 - animal shelter employee (I did a fair amount of teaching at this job as well)
600 - fostering bottle babies/ feral kittens (This was an estimate from 3 years of fostering. On my application I stated how I estimated these hours)
8 - horse rescue

Research:
150 - restoration ecology (I assisted with my professor's research; I wasn't working on my own project)

Employment:
All my employment was animal-related

Extra-curriculars:
Pre-vet club for 1 year
I also mentioned my hobbies, which include soccer and drawing/painting

Awards/Honors:
Dean's honor list a number of times
I'm in a transfer student honor society

LORs:
1. Vet who I shadow
2. Shelter vet I worked with for several years
3. Vet tech from when I volunteered at the shelter
4. Head trainer/owner (my boss) from the stable
5. Professor whose lab I was in

LORs 2-3 were really solid. LORs 1 and 5 were probably just okay.

Personal Statement:
I really rushed my personal statement, because I waited until the last minute to work on it. I really wish I'd spent more time on it. I basically talked about how I enjoy teaching and working with people, even though it can be difficult at times. I also talked about the development of my interest in shelter medicine.

Explanation statement:
I explained why I discontinued the vet tech program, and how it helped me realize I wanted to be a veterinarian. It was only 4 sentences long.

My advice for those with low GPAs is to be selective in choosing which schools you apply to - pick the schools that focus on more recent academic history, or replace grades for repeated courses, or whatever plays to your strengths. Minnesota only looked at my last 45 unit GPA and my GPA for their prerequisites. They also replaced grades for the prerequisite classes I'd retaken since I'd retaken them more than 3 years ago. Western also replaced my F's when I repeated courses. My work experiences also involved a lot of leadership responsibilities (lots of teaching and working with the public, etc.), which probably helped me as well. I had a lot of experiences to draw on for my interviews, which were both behavioral.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Why didn't you think your stats were good enough? They look pretty dang good to me, especially since Davis is your IS school. Either way, congrats!
Aww, thank you! And I don't know, I just assumed the worst!

22 yr old female
WI resident, 1st time applicant
Graduating in May with Honors with a BS in Math and Minors in Biology and Chemistry.

Applied: WSU, CSU, UW-Madison, UMN
Rejected: CSU, WI
Interviewed: WSU, UMN
Alternate: WSU
Accepted: UMN!!
Attending: UMN

Overall GPA: 3.77
Last 45: 3.81

GRE (Q/V/W): 158/157/4.5 (74%/73%/73%)

Veterinary:
~60 hours shadowing at a small animal clinic: this was going once a week for a year
~8 hours shadowing at a small animal/equine clinic: this was one visit a long time ago.

Animal Experience:
Worked at a dog kennel: ~150 hours
Volunteered at a shelter that worked primarily with cats: working on and off since 2007, ~200 hours
Having owned dogs, cats, birds, hamsters, snakes, and geckos: ~3000 hours

Research
None

LORs:
SA Vet that I shadowed for a year
My Pre-Vet academic advisor
My Chemistry professor
My boss from working 2 years as a Student Mentor. She was also my professor for two classes.

Extras:
Honors Program at my college
Dean's List all 4 years of undergrad
Various Scholarships
A special award I won in high school for my character
Being apart of The Deeper Why Ministries: a non-profit ministry my family started
Science and Math Association member at my school
Key Club President in high school
12 years of piano
Volleyball and tennis in high school
Very involved in choir and theatre in high school

Non animal employment:
Resident Assistant this year for freshmen
Student Mentor for 2 years: helping freshmen students transition from high school to college/running freshmen orientation
Biology tutor for 2 years
Worked as a painter for 3 summers
Worked as a cashier for 4 years, then moved up to service desk, and became a cashier trainer

Personal statement:
I started it out kind of telling a story and painting a picture of what was happening. I wanted the first couple of sentences to really stand out, so it was pretty dramatic. But apparently it stood out. It was about how I've gone above and beyond for the animals in my life. Then I went into how my jobs during college (Student Mentor and RA) helped develop me into who I am and how those skills would benefit me in vet school/vet career. Then I just described my knowledge of the profession and what I'm getting myself into, and how those aspects appeal to me and how I have the skills needed for that.

Last edited:
24 yr old female
CA (San Francisco) resident, 1st time applicant
Graduated from UC Davis, Animal Science Major in Dec. 2o11

Applied: WSU, CSU, UCD, UMN, OHIO, OREGON, ROSS
Rejected: WSU, OHIO
Interviewed: UMN, (declined my Ross interview)
Alternate: CSU, OREGON, UCD (interview waitlist, but denied an interview after all spots were full)
Accepted: UMN
Attending: UMN (or possibly CSU if accepted at a later date)

Overall GPA: 3.44
Science GPA: 3.3
Last 45: 3.6-3.7

GRE (Q/V/W): 157/160/4.5

Veterinary:
~3000 hours at a SA/Exotic vet hospital as a vet assistant
~1000 hours as a receptionist at an Emergency/Speciality hospital.
40 hours surgery intern at the VMTH at UCD.
40 hours as an intern at a SA practice.
80 hours as a vet assistant with International Veterinary Outreach (IVO) in Nicaragua.
40 hours as an assistant with Mercer Clinic for the Homeless in Davis.
~25 hours various spay/neuter clinics

Animal Experience:
200 hours at an animal shelter (volunteer)
80 hours internship at goat facility on campus
200 hours working as a care taker at an avian facility on campus.

Research
None

LORs:
All 3 were from vets from my SA/Exotic hospital.

Extras/Community:
Dean's List 2x
12 years of piano, also participated in Certificate of Merit for 5 years
12 years Farsi classes
Spanish classes
Various Charities: Light the Night, Bay to Breakers
Volunteer SAT tutor

Non animal employment:
Lifeguard 3 summers
Ice cream store 2 years

Personal statement:
I talked mostly about my interest in exotic companions and how that interest formed early in my childhood. I talked about the misconceptions many people have of companion animal exotics and how I hoped to change that as a veterinarian and help owners understand the unique needs of their pets. I also talked about how I want to help underprivileged communities around the world that may not have veterinary recourses.

2nd time applicant
22 year old male, OH resident
Major: Natural Science; Biology
Minor: Chemistry

Applied: Ohio, VMRCVM, Mississippi, Mizzou, UTK, UGA
Rejected: Mississippi, VMRCVM, Ohio (after interview)
Interviewed: Ohio, Mizzou, UTK
Wait listed: UTK
Accepted: Mizzou
Waiting to hear: UGA
Attending: MIZZOU!

Overall GPA: 3.68
Science GPA: 3.53
Last 45: 3.83

GRE (Q/V/W): 152/150/4.5 = 52/44/73% - I despise this standardized test

Vet Experience:
8000 - small animal/pocket pets
250 - Equine/large animal

Animal Experience:
2000 - Helping my grandma with breeding

Research:
None

Employment:
5yr vet assistant in a small animal clinic (full time), 2yr on-call emergency assistant

Extra-curriculars:
Pre-Vet Club
Chem Club
Tri-Beta Bio Club

Awards/Honors:
Dean's list - several semesters
Bioinformatics student
Phi Eta Sigma Honor Soc.
Tri-Beta Bio Honor Soc.

LORs:
1. Small Animal Vet who I've know for most my life
2. Genetics/Biotech Professor
3. Small Animal Vet who I worked with for 1.5yrs

Personal Statement:
I talked about growing up with my grandma who is a breeder - this brought up a question on all the controversial issues in every interview I had. Described cases I saw while working in the small animal clinic/ while out on farm visits. The role of a veterinarian in society, and I also focused on being a 2nd time applicant and what I have done to improve myself.