Successful PSLF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rileyrotum77

Reaction score
Ae there any people who have successfully had their loans forgiven at the end of 10 years of payments through PSLF and would be willing to offer some insight into their experience? What are some important considerations / things to know to be approved?

I know some veterinary residency programs tend not to be validated because you are considered a student vs. employee, so context around that would also be helpful, if applicable.

I have just seen many accounts of people applying for it and not getting approved after 10 years despite seemingly following all of the specifics, while some schools I have been accepted to seem to mention this as a great option after graduation.

Not sure if this is the right spot for this thread, so please let me know if that is the case.

Members don't see this ad.

I think someone posted recently having gotten forgiveness in the Facebook Group - you'll probably get a better chance of finding someone in there

Reactions: 1 user
I would not solely rely on PSLF considering how difficult it is to get approved (something like 98% of applicants are denied). The most successful applicants work for a government agency. PSLF is a nice thing to kind of have counting your payments in the background, but continue to apply for other programs and work towards paying them off. I currently am in a job that is eligible for PSLF, but I'm kind of using it as a back-up plan. Some rules for PSLF were restructured in 2021 that may result in more people getting approved though, so there is hope. Also, don't forget about USDA's VMLRP and state specific loan assistance programs for veterinarians.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.