Successful reapplication!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RollWave11

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to fill you SDN people in that a low undergrad GPA wont block your path to a medical degree. I had some major issues in college getting numerous Cs in science classes and even a D in one quarter of chemistry during my first 3 years of college. I finished strong in my senior year once I figured out my problems...but my GPA was still only a 3.05 (BCPM of 2.87). At that point I had a 29M MCAT. That summer I graduated and stayed on campus to study for the MCAT and got a 32M the second time around.

In the fall I began a SMP program (now a few months from finishing the second semester) and finished the first semester with a 3.8 GPA. I received my interview invite 1-31-2007 and got the acceptance today!! I really cant believe I turned it around so quickly! Dont let your premed advisors tell you medicine wont be an option for you, its all up to you. WORK IT!

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on the acceptance!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's some encouraging news congrads!

Thats awesome! I can only imagine how happy you are... congratulations!

YEY! Congrats!

Sorry, I'm not savvy with the terminology yet . . . is a SMP a masters or postbac program?

If you don't mind me asking, where's the program that you're in and what schools did you apply to? My story is similar to yours . . . :)

Well thank you because I thinking that my plans were impossible. Thanks for the encouragement, BTW what is a SMP program?:D

Just wanted to fill you SDN people in that a low undergrad GPA wont block your path to a medical degree. I had some major issues in college getting numerous Cs in science classes and even a D in one quarter of chemistry during my first 3 years of college. I finished strong in my senior year once I figured out my problems...but my GPA was still only a 3.05 (BCPM of 2.87). At that point I had a 29M MCAT. That summer I graduated and stayed on campus to study for the MCAT and got a 32M the second time around.

In the fall I began a SMP program (now a few months from finishing the second semester) and finished the first semester with a 3.8 GPA. I received my interview invite 1-31-2007 and got the acceptance today!! I really cant believe I turned it around so quickly! Dont let your premed advisors tell you medicine wont be an option for you, its all up to you. WORK IT!

would u mind sharing what your problems were in the first 3 years of college?? like more specifics. u can pm me about it also. thanks

Wow...I'm in a similar situation to your undergrad, and I'm now weighing my options on a post-bacc or masters. I kinda thought the 2 year masters was the only route because I didn't think I would have my app. done in time for them to see any improvement in grades. Where did you do the SMP? When did you apply? Where did you get in?

Well thank you because I thinking that my plans were impossible. Thanks for the encouragement, BTW what is a SMP program?:D
SMP= Special Masters program. Look in the Post-bacc forum, here is a link to SDN's "Official Guide to Special Masters Programs". http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=346106
:luck:
I'm at Loyola's SMP now (called MAMS, Master of Arts in Medical Sciences) had an undergrad GPA of 3.15, now grad GPA of 3.75! That's more like it...

Wow...I'm in a similar situation to your undergrad, and I'm now weighing my options on a post-bacc or masters. I kinda thought the 2 year masters was the only route because I didn't think I would have my app. done in time for them to see any improvement in grades. Where did you do the SMP? When did you apply? Where did you get in?

I dunno about the OP, but remember that there are a lot of 1year SMPs out there, like Loyola in Chicago, I started in the fall, am 4 weeks from graduating now, just in time to apply with a Masters degree on my AMCAS and a decent GPA... check into it!
:)