Successful Tips For DAT!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grettlin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got the information from pre-health group meetings and the author who has been accept to 3 medical schools gives us his study tips of MCAT. I think it might be help also in DAT and put them to share with pre-dental mates.

Background: A postbac. premedical student at Cal State Fullerton. Background is Accounting and English is his third language. MCAT score: VR 11 (top 10.0%); PS 14 (top 0.7%); BS 13 (top 1.4%).

Tips:
1. The best way to improve your score on the DAT is to take as many practice exams as possible. Ideally, you should take one exam/week for 12 weeks prior to the actual MCAT.
2. Try to take the exam at time just like real DAT exam time.
3. Enroll in a commercial preparation course and gain access to their wealth of passages, tests, and experience with standardized tests.
4. LSAT and GRE exams are perfect for additional Verbal Passages.
5. When you are doing individual passages, do several at a time. They should consist 2 verbal, 2 physics, 2 chemistry, 2 biology, and 2 ochem passages. Correct these sometime later in the day.
6. During the DAT if time is running out, select B or C for the unanswered questions.
7. Eat a light lunch or snack during the DAT. It takes energy to digest the food and by the time that food is converted to usable energy, the DAT is over.
8. Many people make "stupid" mistakes in the last section of the DAT simply because they are too tired. Practice exams will prevent you from making avoidable mistakes.
9. Wake up early each day 10 days before the exam.
10. During your preparation, do not get consumed by what other students are doing. Focus on your game plan and things you need to do to improve your score.

Not specific, but they might help. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey
Thanks for the info! I will take it into consideration when I begin studying for the DATs.
It is very helpful!!!!
:)

thank you very much, this very useful right now :)