Such Breakdown! 25AA/26TS/23PAT wow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DogeDDS

Wow
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just took my DAT this morning and am elated with my scores. To start, I would like to thank the SDN community. Without you guys, this score would not have been possible. The knowledge I've gained here was invaluable and now I feel it is my duty to give back to that which nurtured my growth and ability to succeed. I am still in shock that I received the scores that I did. My GPA's aren't great so I knew I had to make a statement with this test. This was about the score I was hoping to get, but I didn't think I'd actually get it. Just goes to show that if you put in the work, it pays off.

PAT: 23
QR: 22
RC: 25
BIO: 26
GC: 25
OC: 25
TS: 26
AA: 25 :soexcited:

Here's a quick breakdown of materials I used in case you just want to get in and out. A more detailed breakdown is included further below.

Materials Used for Review:
1. Chad's Videos (11/10)
2. Feralis' Notes (9.5/10)
3. Barrons AP Bio/Cliffs AP Bio (9/10)

Materials Used for Practice:
1. DAT Bootcamp (11/10)
2. DAT Qvault (11/10)
3. DAT Destroyer (9/10)
4. Math Destroyer (10/10)
5. Organic Chemistry Odyssey (9/10)

Practice Test Scores for DAT Qvault
Bio: 20/19/20/19/18/21/20/22/19/22
GC: 20/20/17/21/20/20/21/24/22
OC: 18/20/20/21/21/21/20/21/18
PAT: 18/19/20/22/22/20

Practice Test Scores for DAT Bootcamp (I didn't record my first 2 so scores start from exam 3;
retake of exam #1 two days before my exam)
Bio: 20/21/22/30
GC: 26/19/20/23
OC: 19/22/21/27
PAT: 21/20/21/23

Logistics:
My study time was about 11 weeks, partly because I am horrible at sticking to a study plan. I must have re-planned out what I was going to do with my remaining time at least 5 times. This added much unnecessary stress. Don't do this. Make a plan and stick to it, but it's also important to know how to adapt it to your needs. Also, know that practice tests will guide you to where you need to, but you have put in the work to improve those areas.

Another factor that helped me were flashcards. Yeah, I know, I never use flashcards either, but when I noticed I kept getting questions wrong that I've been exposed to before, I decided that it was time to go old school. Went to Wal-Mart, bought like 700 flashcards and went to town. Anything I got wrong from Bootcamp or Qvault, anything I thought was important from Feralis' notes, anything I knew I would forget, I wrote it down. The last 2 days before my exam, I went through ALL of them. Probably not the best time to review them as I got worried to see that I had forgotten some of the things I had written weeks before, but I made sure I knew every single one before exam time.

Biology 26
Review
I reviewed this section using a mixture of Cliff's, Barron's, and Feralis'.
Cliff's and Barron's are great resources but are notorious for lacking in physiology. Feralis' notes has everything you could need. The only reason I gave it a 9.5 was that it was a little too detailed, in hindsight. However, better safe than sorry. I would advise making your own set of COMPLETE notes that you can study from for this section. It is time consuming, but I believe putting in your own words, and formatting it yourself is infinitely better than just reading someone else's work over and over.
Also, when reviewing notes, try to formulate questions for yourself in your head to make connections. For instance, if a gene that codes for a pyruvate transport protein was mutated, what would occur? Well, (1) pyruvate would build up in the cytosol and (2) the Krebs Cycle would no longer be able to occur. This may not be entirely right but I used it in order to make sure I knew which cellular processes were occurring where. Using pathology-based questions is a great way to test yourself.

Practice
I started by using DAT Destroyer. Good for getting down concepts into your head but overkill in some aspects. I would suggest doing this after your review to solidify your knowledge, then go into Bootcamp/QVault to polish everything. I planned on going through it twice but I got lazy after the first time and went straight to software practice. I used a spreadsheet to jot my answers.
DAT Qvault biology has huge number of questions on every topic. The layout and user interface is amazing. They provide specific breakdowns of which subjects you got wrong so you know what areas to work on. Some questions were a bit out of the scope but definitely worth getting.
DAT Bootcamp has quickly become the gold standard for practice tests. Good balance of challenging questions with very helpful explanations.
Flash cards were made from all 3 sources.

Test
Definitely breadth over depth. The bio section of the DAT has become much less regurgitation and more application. Make sure you understand the concepts. Memorization of all of Feralis' notes will probably get you a 20+, but memorization and being able to critically think with that knowledge will take you a lot further.

General Chemistry 25
Review
Chad (noun): Dealer of Knowledge. Reaper of Chemistries. A God among Men.
As you probably already know, Chad is the go-to for the chemistries, recommended by nearly all of SDN's DAT takers, and for good reason. His ability to teach difficult concepts so you remember them a timely manner is unmatched. Watching Chad is important, but it's worthless if you don't take good notes. You will forget things and you will need to review these notes to remember.

Practice
Afterwards, I practiced using DAT Destroyer. It kicked my butt the first time, especially the calculations. As I went through it, I marked any questions I got wrong and that I thought were important in an excel spreadsheet. My last week or so, I went through these again as I still felt GC was a weak point.
Used DAT Qvault and DAT Bootcamp for more practice after Destroyer. If I had to pick, Bootcamp > QVault but both were helpful.
Flash cards, again, were made from these 3 sources.

Test
Mostly straight-forward questions. I did mark quite a few I was unsure of but moved onto OC before returning. I don't think I got these right and this unfortunately, I believe, affected my ability to concentrate during the PAT section.

Organic Chemistry 25
Review
Same as GC.

Practice
Chad is great, however, I will say that he does not go over every reaction/reagent that you may need. I definitely came across a question that wasn't included in Chad's lectures, but luckily I was exposed to it in either Destroyer, Bootcamp or QVault. Thus, make sure you practice with other tools! You never know what might show up on the test.

Odyssey was surprisingly helpful. It's definitely not one of the universally recommended tools like Chad's or Destroyer, but it helped me to work out my weak points. Each chapter is broken down into a certain discipline such as stereochemistry, substitution reactions, carbohydrates, lab techniques, aromatics, etc and each has ~40-50 questions. After doing a certain chapter of Odyssey and making flash cards for it, I definitely felt I knew that concept inside and out. Not essential but recommended if you can afford the money and time.

Yup, more flash cards were made.

Test
I thought this sections was fairly straight-forward as well. Mastering the basics will probably get you a 20+.

Perceptual Ability 23
Practice
Unlike many of my fellow SDNers, I didn't get CDP because I read mixed reviews about it being too easy. However, I think as long as you supplement CDP with Bootcamp, you should be golden. I used only Bootcamp and Qvault. Qvault is quite easy, especially with the angles, but it's not horrible. I used Qvault in between the 5 Bootcamp tests, which were definitely harder and more closer to the real thing. Bootcamp prepares you for the more difficult third-folds, tear-inducing angles, and hair-splitting proportions you could see on the real test. The way they breakdown every answer is incredible. It shows that Ari and his team put in a lot of effort into this program for us pre-dents. Worth every penny.

Test
As I said before, I came into PAT more focused about not getting everything right in the sciences. Don't do this! If you have time left (which I didn't) take a second to reset your mind. Forget about your performance in the sciences. You will now be using a different part of your brain to succeed!

Reading Comprehension 25 :eek:
Practice
Alright, so this is score is what surprised me the most. I did like a total of maybe like 5 practice tests for RC and that's it. I used Bootcamp and Qvault. I thought both were pretty hard compared to the real thing but I barely practiced this section so don't take my word for it. I'm not the best reader and I figured that wasn't going to change. I tried all kinds of strategies but I didn't really feel comfortable with any of them. Search and destroy gave me heart palpitations when I couldn't find answers so I knew this method wasn't for me. I tried passage mapping and question mapping but got inconsistent scores.

Test
All 3 of my articles had varying levels of "scientific density", but they were all fairly short compared to what I did in practice. I think reading the passage enthusiastically and really trying to understand it is key to doing well. Read like you enjoy it. Read like its something you want to learn.

Quantitative Reasoning 22
Practice
Considering how much I neglected this section, I'm definitely happy with this score. I started with Chad's math videos since I had access to them. It was good for reestablishing my math foundation but if you're already good at math, you could probably skip this. I got shafted on like every
Math Destroyer test, scoring around 25-30/40. With Bootcamp, I was scoring like 20/40 because I always ran out of time (I didn't realize Bootcamp stated that it was actually much harder than the real thing :ninja:). The fact that I was barely improving discouraged me from trying to perfect it.

Test
In my opinion, Math Destroyer and Bootcamp were both overkill by a mile. However, being exposed to the harder questions definitely helped. I clearly got some wrong but I would've have been happy with a 19+ so this was a pleasant surprise.

Once again, I would like to thank SDN and everyone who posted their breakdowns. They helped me tremendously and I would like to pay it forward to future DAT takers. To sum up, just know that hard work beats out talent any day. I am not naturally smart or intelligent. I just decided that I would work my butt off to get a high score to help achieve my goal of being admitted into dental school. Work hard, work smart, and never give up!

Also, a shoutout to Starbucks for consistently making such tasty americanos.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_0416.JPG
    IMG_0416.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
What's with people just destroying the DAT lately? You guys are making me consider a retake! Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
KILLER scores!!!! I read your post this morning and was thinking about how you did today. My test is on Thursday and I'm getting 21-22 in all sections on qVault and Bootcamp. Seeing your qVault/Bootcamp scores and your actual scores just got me pumped!! I can't wait to destroy this thing. Awesome breakdown. Thanks! All day today I pretty much took practice tests and did problems and skimmed a little through Ferali's. Any advice for the next two days before DAT-day?

CONGRATULATIONS!! I remember you were the first person to post on my breakdown and I wanted to be the first to post on yours but I'm much too late!!

Also, I think the reason we're seeing a lot of people with decent scores right now might be because a fair number of people choose to take the test at the end of spring break? But I dunno, perhaps it's just chance. It doesn't much matter though, I think all scores above 21 or 22 are just about equal. After all, I'm sure people must realize that the DAT's resolution becomes super wide at the high ranges, such that the difference between a 22 and a 26 is just one or two questions. Now it is time to relax (for a change!) and spend some time doing the things you love, once again. You've more than deserved it!

KILLER scores!!!! I read your post this morning and was thinking about how you did today. My test is on Thursday and I'm getting 21-22 in all sections on qVault and Bootcamp. Seeing your qVault/Bootcamp scores and your actual scores just got me pumped!! I can't wait to destroy this thing. Awesome breakdown. Thanks! All day today I pretty much took practice tests and did problems and skimmed a little through Ferali's. Any advice for the next two days before DAT-day?
Thanks! :D I'm glad my scores reassured you haha. Just keep reviewing bio. You'll do great

Last edited:
Wow, incredible scores! You guys are knocking it out of the park back to back. Congratulations big time, enjoy your time off before dental school starts next fall! :)

CONGRATULATIONS!! I remember you were the first person to post on my breakdown and I wanted to be the first to post on yours but I'm much too late!!

Also, I think the reason we're seeing a lot of people with decent scores right now might be because a fair number of people choose to take the test at the end of spring break? But I dunno, perhaps it's just chance. It doesn't much matter though, I think all scores above 21 or 22 are just about equal. After all, I'm sure people must realize that the DAT's resolution becomes super wide at the high ranges, such that the difference between a 22 and a 26 is just one or two questions. Now it is time to relax (for a change!) and spend some time doing the things you love, once again. You've more than deserved it!
Aha thank you!!! I actually kiiind of used your RC strategy. One of the passages I got was like wtf and I skipped it after I failed at finding the answers. I think we actually got the same passages lol. And congrats to you again! I think you're the first 27 on SDN!

Last edited:
Aha hank you!!! I actually kiiind of used your RC strategy. One of the passages I got was like wtf and I skipped it after I failed at finding the answers. I think we actually got the same passages lol. And congrats to you again! I think you're the first 27 on SDN!

Oh perhaps, but Glimmer has a whole set of people who got 28s lol. But to be honest, I don't think it much matters and very sincerely, I would have been just as pleased with a 22.

Oh perhaps, but Glimmer has a whole set of people who got 28s lol. But to be honest, I don't think it much matters and very sincerely, I would have been just as pleased with a 22.
Yup but no 27s ;) You finally bridged the gap!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats man! I remember you were scared to take it but I had the utmost confidence that you were ready for it and you absolutely killed it (you rocked it like a category 5 hurricane ;))! Btw, you mentioned starbucks, did you take your exam in Penn Plaza, NYC by any chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
i was gonna take it today but decided to reschedule. Now you make me wish i took it lol

Congrats man! I remember you were scared to take it but I had the utmost confidence that you were ready for it and you absolutely killed it (you rocked it like a category 5 hurricane ;))! Btw, you mentioned starbucks, did you take your exam in Penn Plaza, NYC by any chance?
Haha! Thank you, and no I didn't take it there.

Congrats on the score!!

When you say you "I used a spreadsheet to jot my answers." Did you write down your questions for each answer or the ones you answered incorrectly?

Congrats on the score!!

When you say you "I used a spreadsheet to jot my answers." Did you write down your questions for each answer or the ones you answered incorrectly?
Yeah so I just made an excel spreadsheet just for Destroyer and did this. It's pretty makeshift but it worked. So I made sheets 1-4, each sheet was a different subject: GC, OC, Bio, and Math. I left the 1st row blank and only marked it green if I thought it was an important question. The next row is what I thought the answer was. I used yellow marks when I wasn't sure of the answer so I knew even if I got it right, I should still try to understand it. The last row (4th) is what the answers were. I marked it red when I got them wrong. I left a space so that if I did get it wrong, I could try again later without peripherally seeing the correct answer.

I also went and made index cards for ones that I thought were REAALLYY important. Like important calculations, concepts, reactions, etc.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 10.16.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 10.16.34 AM.png
    176.6 KB · Views: 211
Reactions: 1 user
WOO HOO!

Very amaze. Such impressive!

Welcome to the collection!
Ahhh! Thank you! I can't believe it. I used your list so much and it's crazy to think that I'm now a part of it. Totally insane.

If I could make a suggestion, I think it would be helpful to add a date next to each breakdown (possibly just year, or month + year), at least the ones of the more recent breakdowns. I know that when I started doing my research, I tried to look for the more recent ones added to the list, and I definitely weighed the advice of the 2013's more than say 2011's. Just a thought. :)

Ahhh! Thank you! I can't believe it. I used your list so much and it's crazy to think that I'm now a part of it. Totally insane.

If I could make a suggestion, I think it would be helpful to add a date next to each breakdown (possibly just year, or month + year), at least the ones of the more recent breakdowns. I know that when I started doing my research, I tried to look for the more recent ones added to the list, and I definitely weighed the advice of the 2013's more than say 2011's. Just a thought. :)

Shoot... are there still some from 2011 on there? I thought I got rid of them all--I try to go through periodically and only keep the ones that are recent enough to be applicable. My last flush was about 2 months ago. Right now, it's only supposed to be breakdowns from 2012 onward.

If I have a slow day at work, I'll go through and do that.

Shoot... are there still some from 2011 on there? I thought I got rid of them all--I try to go through periodically and only keep the ones that are recent enough to be applicable. My last flush was about 2 months ago. Right now, it's only supposed to be breakdowns from 2012 onward.
Oh! Well, I'm mistaken then. I was using 2011 as an example but I guess you're way ahead of me. Nevermind, keep doing your thing.

Oh! Well, I'm mistaken then. I was using 2011 as an example but I guess you're way ahead of me. Nevermind, keep doing your thing.

It's still a good idea! I'll get around to it soon. I'm always looking to improve the list. :)

Hey man congrats. I will have my DAT early next month. Did you have alot of reactions or IR/NMR?

Congratulations on your scores! Do you have a copy of the study plan you followed? I'm a full time worker and I'm trying to find a plan that I can use as a guide and modify to my schedule. Thanks in advance and good job again!

Congratulations on yer scores! Do you have a copy of the study plan you followed? me be a full time worker and me be tryin' to find a plan that me can use as a guide and modify to my schedule. Thanks in advance and good job again!
Thanks! Unfortunately I do not have a study plan (mostly because I didn't really have one after my 1st month). I would recommending looking at Ari's schedule from DAT Bootcamp. His schedule is pretty consistent with how I studied my first month and I would have used it as well if I found it in time.

Hey man congrats. me will have me DAT early next month. Did ye have alot of reactions or IR/NMR?

Hey man congrats. me will have me DAT early next month. Did ye have alot of reactions or IR/NMR?

The version I took had no IR or NMR at all. However, both these spectra are more than fair game to ask on the test! Memorizing the infrared spectrum is not that bad, as long as you break it into chunks. The professor I had in school broke it into five manageable sections:

Section 1: 3700 - 3200
Section 2: 3200 - 2700
Section 3: 2300 - 2000 (remember, 2000 - 2300 is a good score on the SAT)
Section 4: 1850 - 1650
Section 5: 1650 - 1450

Notice that sections 1 and 2 have the same "width" and that sections 4 and 5 have the same "width". This makes them much more memorable! Then, just know which groups fall into each section (no need to memorize exact numbers, except perhaps for the exceptions) and you will almost certainly be able to answer any question that comes up about the IR spectrum!

Exceptions: carboxylic acids span a stretch of 2500 to 3500 wavenumbers (but this is quite memorable) and aldehydes have signature dual peaks at around 2700 and 2900. In addition, above 3000 wavenumbers lie the sp2 CHs (a double bond in either an alkene or aromatic ring) and below 3000 wavenumbers lie the regular sp3 CHs (remember this because alkenes are "stronger" than alkanes lol)

Last edited:
Wow congratulations!! I know that they say online tests like Qvault and Bootcamp are made harder than the actual test but do you think it's common for scores to jump as much as yours? I'm not sure when I should take the DAT because I've been scoring around a 19-21 on all my my Qvault tests but I can't imagine my scores jumping THAT much. What do you think?

Wow congratulations!! I know that they say online tests like Qvault and Bootcamp are made harder than the actual test but do you think it's common for scores to jump as much as yours? I'm not sure when I should take the DAT because I've been scoring around a 19-21 on all my my Qvault tests but I can't imagine my scores jumping THAT much. What do you think?
I don't believe it's common for scores to jump the way I did, at least from what I've seen. I did use these programs to simulate tests but it's more important that you just keep using it as a learning tool. Don't let scores upset you or let you get too confident.