sucky EMR being forced on you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AndyDufrane

Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

so I am a couple of weeks into my first job after finishing MSK/spine fellowship, hospital job , very welcoming place and seems like very supportive of physician all the way up to administration, only issue is this new EMR they are using , I am the first one they are trying to implement it on because the senior intervent physiatrist flat out refused this new EMR (he is around the same age as me and has been practicing for a few years), and I have used several EMR over the course of med school years/internship/residency/fellowship, and I must say, this current EMR is by far the worst I have ever seen, very counter intuitive, alot of windows popping up and taking you to other pop up windows, and when you preview the HP or progress note, it seems very choppy and almost doesn't make sense, so I do I gently convey my dissatisfaction with new EMR without rocking the boat too much since I am the new guy, cause it takes me maybe 30-40 minutes to completely evaluated my patient, but 1-1.5 hour to document it in the EMR. I am not trying to be whinny, but this EMR is really going to slow me down and I am not anti new technology, I grew up in the digital age thanks in advance
 
Do you they give you extra time for your consults/procedures while you learn how to use the EMR? Does the other physiatrist dictate or write out his notes?
 
Drop it ASAP but to look professional make sure that you can demonstrate you have evaluated it completely. Use your experience with past systems to compare and contrast. If the big guy at the practice isn't using it then I assume you're the fall guy to get them the meaningful use money.

Drop that EMR and go free with practice fusion. Make them buy you Dragon 12 premium and a really good handheld microphone (Philips speechmike or Dictaphone). Then dictate all your patients into a Word document for the day and have the secretarial staff copy/paste the notes into the EMR. This way you are only using the EMR for data retrieval, not data entry. You're a physician, not a clerk.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The other physiatrist dictates his notes, and yes they are giving me extra time for the all office encounters but I have been giving it a fair shot for the last 2 weeks and it is still very clunky, I want to tell them I am going to dictate my notes like the other physiatrists for now but am open to trying out other EMRs, like Epic or Powerchart which I have had experience with in the past and which was user friendly. thank you for the input
 
Drop it ASAP but to look professional make sure that you can demonstrate you have evaluated it completely. Use your experience with past systems to compare and contrast. If the big guy at the practice isn't using it then I assume you're the fall guy to get them the meaningful use money.

Drop that EMR and go free with practice fusion. Make them buy you Dragon 12 premium and a really good handheld microphone (Philips speechmike or Dictaphone). Then dictate all your patients into a Word document for the day and have the secretarial staff copy/paste the notes into the EMR. This way you are only using the EMR for data retrieval, not data entry. You're a physician, not a clerk.

You beat me to the punch in regards to Dragon - it is pretty awesome.

The only drawback in my experience is that you need a good computer ( lots of RAM or whatever) to run it on. If not, be prepared for lots of crashing.
 
...when you preview the HP or progress note, it seems very choppy and almost doesn't make sense...


I think you have a right to at least be trained by someone to customize it to the point where you can work to get useful accurate data. If not that, how to navigate it properly. Personally, I think what you said there should be the root motivation. If the job can't help you figure out the EMR, I hope they're better with other patient care tools like equipment. Some people are so ridiculous about EMR implementation- I don't get it. Spin it in terms of preventable medical errors from crappy equipment, not "I can't use this".