Sufficient # of TY interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trisomy13

ultra
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how many TY programs people are applying to. I know the answer will depend partly on location (i.e. I would imagine NYC TY are in higher demand than those in the Midwest).

Are 4-5 interviews for TY with a very likely prelim IM back-up program in the pocket sufficient opportunities?

Members don't see this ad.

more than enough. If you have high prob IM, then maybe 3 ty would be about as much as I could take.

After declining a few interviews, I ended up applying to 6 TY programs (all without surgery) and 6 prelim IM programs. Hope that's enough... Have done 2 TY interviews and 2 IM interviews so far, not yet tired.

Members don't see this ad :)
rugtrousers said:
After declining a few interviews, I ended up applying to 6 TY programs (all without surgery) and 6 prelim IM programs. Hope that's enough... Have done 2 TY interviews and 2 IM interviews so far, not yet tired.

hmm. i'm doing 5 TY, maybe 6 if i get back to them in time. and 1 prelim medicine so far.

i'd do more prelim med but after my sub-i i think i'd rather gamble. i'm starting to think i'd even prefer a surgery prelim over medicine. it's supposedly "harder" but i think there's less tedious BS to put up with. in the surgery prelim, you're a scutmonkey and that's that. ;-)

of course my knowledge is limited on either of those positions so all opinions are welcome.

Trisomy13 said:
hmm. i'm doing 5 TY, maybe 6 if i get back to them in time. and 1 prelim medicine so far.

i'd do more prelim med but after my sub-i i think i'd rather gamble. i'm starting to think i'd even prefer a surgery prelim over medicine. it's supposedly "harder" but i think there's less tedious BS to put up with. in the surgery prelim, you're a scutmonkey and that's that. ;-)

of course my knowledge is limited on either of those positions so all opinions are welcome.
hey what do u think is easier to scamble into...a surgery or medicine prelim....it sounds to me like surgery prelims would be more available, since ppl are less desirous of them