Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Sufficient # of TY interviews

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by Trisomy13, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Trisomy13

Trisomy13 ultra
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm curious as to how many TY programs people are applying to. I know the answer will depend partly on location (i.e. I would imagine NYC TY are in higher demand than those in the Midwest).

Are 4-5 interviews for TY with a very likely prelim IM back-up program in the pocket sufficient opportunities?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aredoubleyou

aredoubleyou Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

more than enough. If you have high prob IM, then maybe 3 ty would be about as much as I could take.

4. rugtrousers

rugtrousers Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    After declining a few interviews, I ended up applying to 6 TY programs (all without surgery) and 6 prelim IM programs. Hope that's enough... Have done 2 TY interviews and 2 IM interviews so far, not yet tired.

5. Trisomy13

Trisomy13 ultra
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    hmm. i'm doing 5 TY, maybe 6 if i get back to them in time. and 1 prelim medicine so far.

i'd do more prelim med but after my sub-i i think i'd rather gamble. i'm starting to think i'd even prefer a surgery prelim over medicine. it's supposedly "harder" but i think there's less tedious BS to put up with. in the surgery prelim, you're a scutmonkey and that's that. ;-)

of course my knowledge is limited on either of those positions so all opinions are welcome.

6. ThinkFast007

ThinkFast007 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

hey what do u think is easier to scamble into...a surgery or medicine prelim....it sounds to me like surgery prelims would be more available, since ppl are less desirous of them