• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

Trisomy13

ultra
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
mountain home
Status
Attending Physician
I'm curious as to how many TY programs people are applying to. I know the answer will depend partly on location (i.e. I would imagine NYC TY are in higher demand than those in the Midwest).

Are 4-5 interviews for TY with a very likely prelim IM back-up program in the pocket sufficient opportunities?

aredoubleyou

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
more than enough. If you have high prob IM, then maybe 3 ty would be about as much as I could take.

rugtrousers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2004
Philadelphia
Status
Resident [Any Field]
After declining a few interviews, I ended up applying to 6 TY programs (all without surgery) and 6 prelim IM programs. Hope that's enough... Have done 2 TY interviews and 2 IM interviews so far, not yet tired.

About the Ads

Trisomy13

ultra
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
mountain home
Status
Attending Physician
rugtrousers said:
After declining a few interviews, I ended up applying to 6 TY programs (all without surgery) and 6 prelim IM programs. Hope that's enough... Have done 2 TY interviews and 2 IM interviews so far, not yet tired.
hmm. i'm doing 5 TY, maybe 6 if i get back to them in time. and 1 prelim medicine so far.

i'd do more prelim med but after my sub-i i think i'd rather gamble. i'm starting to think i'd even prefer a surgery prelim over medicine. it's supposedly "harder" but i think there's less tedious BS to put up with. in the surgery prelim, you're a scutmonkey and that's that. ;-)

of course my knowledge is limited on either of those positions so all opinions are welcome.

ThinkFast007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2004
jolly good show
Status
Trisomy13 said:
hmm. i'm doing 5 TY, maybe 6 if i get back to them in time. and 1 prelim medicine so far.

i'd do more prelim med but after my sub-i i think i'd rather gamble. i'm starting to think i'd even prefer a surgery prelim over medicine. it's supposedly "harder" but i think there's less tedious BS to put up with. in the surgery prelim, you're a scutmonkey and that's that. ;-)

of course my knowledge is limited on either of those positions so all opinions are welcome.
hey what do u think is easier to scamble into...a surgery or medicine prelim....it sounds to me like surgery prelims would be more available, since ppl are less desirous of them

About the Ads