Sufficient Pharmacy Exposure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lone Kendoka

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want to learn more about the pharmacy profession. I know that the profession is so broad that my passion and what I want to do in life must fit somewhere in there. However, I do not have a pharmacy technician license, so I'm restricted from seeing everything pharmacy has to offer, which really scares me. Now it seems like the only way to learn about all the facets of the profession is to actually go into pharmacy school and take it from there. But I want to be 100% confident that pharmacy is what I want to do, and without that additional needed exposure, I won't be able to make a sound decision. Does anyone else experience this problem?
 
I want to learn more about the pharmacy profession. I know that the profession is so broad that my passion and what I want to do in life must fit somewhere in there. However, I do not have a pharmacy technician license, so I'm restricted from seeing everything pharmacy has to offer, which really scares me. Now it seems like the only way to learn about all the facets of the profession is to actually go into pharmacy school and take it from there. But I want to be 100% confident that pharmacy is what I want to do, and without that additional needed exposure, I won't be able to make a sound decision. Does anyone else experience this problem?

When I worked in the pharmacy (retail setting), I was an ancillary without a pharm tech license. I was still able to see what pharmacy entails and performed most of the responsibilities a pharm tech has. Ask the pharmacist as you learn through your work or volunteer. You were accepted without being 100% confident that pharmacy is what you want to pursue?
 
I could understand the OPs concern. Is it ever possible to be 100% sure about something without living and breathing it 24/7? Sometimes it takes hindsight to be sure.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In the beginning of my college year, the idea of pharmacy was put upon me because of my parents because I didn't really know what I wanted to be. Over time, however, I began to learn more about the profession and really like the work ethics involved in pharmacy: working to help patients through their health, having compassion towards others, going above and beyond to make sure that your patients are well taken care of, and continuing to grow and learn more as you travel down the path. This is what helped me thrive through the path as of now.

It's just that I recently started looking at the medical route and began questioning my capabilities. Many questions ran through my mind; "Does the medical field have what I'm looking for as well?" "Am I capable of putting myself through such a trying path?" Although there are things that catch my attention in this field, it's offset by the cons, primarily my fears of the profession and the road getting there.

By being 100% confident, I meant going into pharmacy with no regrets. I want to be able to take a path, be it pharmacy or not, without thinking about backtracking to take the other path. That's why I want to delve deeper. I want to see more of the life of a pharmacist and find my answer.
 
In the beginning of my college year, the idea of pharmacy was put upon me because of my parents because I didn't really know what I wanted to be. Over time, however, I began to learn more about the profession and really like the work ethics involved in pharmacy: working to help patients through their health, having compassion towards others, going above and beyond to make sure that your patients are well taken care of, and continuing to grow and learn more as you travel down the path. This is what helped me thrive through the path as of now.

It's just that I recently started looking at the medical route and began questioning my capabilities. Many questions ran through my mind; "Does the medical field have what I'm looking for as well?" "Am I capable of putting myself through such a trying path?" Although there are things that catch my attention in this field, it's offset by the cons, primarily my fears of the profession, the uncertainty surrounding it, and the road getting there.

By being 100% confident, I meant going into pharmacy with no regrets. I want to be able to take a path, be it pharmacy or not, without thinking about backtracking to take the other path. That's why I want to delve deeper. I want to see more of the life of a pharmacist and find my answer.
 
OP: Are you PTCB-certified?

I know TX is pretty stringent on letting non-certified people into pharmacies. I would try to see if you could step into an independent pharmacy, since they're a little less restrictive. Just for one day, see if you could see yourself behind the counter by being behind the counter.
 
Unfortunately, I'm not certified in any way.

You can ask your local retail pharmacies to see if they are hiring ancillaries (non-pharm techs) and mention that you are going to enter pharmacy school this Fall and want to gain exposure. Otherwise, there may be available volunteer positions in hospital pharmacies.
 
You can ask your local retail pharmacies to see if they are hiring ancillaries (non-pharm techs) and mention that you are going to enter pharmacy school this Fall and want to gain exposure. Otherwise, there may be available volunteer positions in hospital pharmacies.
It's extremely hard in TX to do so, unfortunately, musicman. VERY stringent. I emphasize VERY with caps.

OP: Good Neighbor Pharmacies are less stringent. Or your local mom-n'-pop pharmacy.
 
I'm only in the early stages as a pre-pharm student. What I have found helpful was actually getting insight to all fields of pharmacy outside of retail. I found that Clinical Pharmacy was right for me. One can get board certified as an oncology, nuclear, pharmacotherapy, or psychiatry pharmacist. Most clinical pharmacist are actively involved with the health teams / rotations, offer consultation to physicians and residents. It's less stressful and more secure than working in retail. Also, there are many pharmacist that are in the home-infusion field, consulting, and work in regulation (FDA, DEA). I highly recommend that you do information interviews and shadows professions outside of retail to obtain more insight about the profession.