Suggested part-time jobs in UG?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a job right now but its only pays 20 dollars and hour. Its pretty nice. During the summer I caddy and I make a few grand doing that. However, I only make around 5,000 a year (I'm not even joking). The 3k is pretty much from who I am caddying for. The 2k is from my part time job. Currently I work as at a video game store.

Having job is a nice plus when applying to college. I doubt having a medical field related part time job in UG factors into the med school admissions process, if at all. However I am not too worried about that.

I am worried about buying a (nice) used car sometime in UG and renting a nice apartment. The apartment isn't too big of a deal but I really need to start putting a lot of money away.

Are there any jobs that pay very well that a college student can do part time? Could I be a paramedic? What would I be making a year? I really don't want to be making min. wage making like 2k a year.

Members don't see this ad.

Med related jobs are nice for making $ and taking care of clinical experience ECs at the same time. As far as payment goes I've never been particularly impressed with the medically related job salaries i've seen. There's probably some that pay alright though, I've never really looked to closely at them.

You seem to be setting your sights on a pretty high payout. Which is good, ambition is a nice trait to have. But what you need to think about is that over $20 dollars an hour(maybe it's more common in NJ, i'm in a lower standard of living area), generally will only come with some kind of training, certification or unique skill. If you don't have one of those it would be hard to convince an employeer to pay you that much. I got around this by starting my own businesses, which I loved doing. The downside is that it takes a ton of my time, and it can be difficult to start up.

I like teaching, so I tutor some as a side job, it pays above $20 and is a fairly common college job. I never tried to work alot of hours at it, since I really just do it for fun, but I imagine it would be hard to put in lots of hours at.

Most college student I know who make alot of money during college do it by either having there own business or working in some kind of managerial position (which usually requires either experience or for you to put in time at lower salary). Both often come with a high time requirement.

All in all, I wouldn't feel to bad about your $20 and hour job. That's a pretty nice hourly wage for a highschooler or undergrad. Anyway you could pick up more hours at your current job to make more?

Med related jobs are nice for making $ and taking care of clinical experience ECs at the same time. As far as payment goes I've never been particularly impressed with the medically related job salaries i've seen. There's probably some that pay alright though, I've never really looked to closely at them.

You seem to be setting your sights on a pretty high payout. Which is good, ambition is a nice trait to have. But what you need to think about is that over $20 dollars an hour(maybe it's more common in NJ, i'm in a lower standard of living area), generally will only come with some kind of training, certification or unique skill. If you don't have one of those it would be hard to convince an employeer to pay you that much. I got around this by starting my own businesses, which I loved doing. The downside is that it takes a ton of my time, and it can be difficult to start up.

I like teaching, so I tutor some as a side job, it pays above $20 and is a fairly common college job. I never tried to work alot of hours at it, since I really just do it for fun, but I imagine it would be hard to put in lots of hours at.

Most college student I know who make alot of money during college do it by either having there own business or working in some kind of managerial position (which usually requires either experience or for you to put in time at lower salary). Both often come with a high time requirement.

All in all, I wouldn't feel to bad about your $20 and hour job. That's a pretty nice hourly wage for a highschooler or undergrad. Anyway you could pick up more hours at your current job to make more?

I started out at a bit above min. wage and just put in a bunch of time and got a raise from the boss/manager guy. I doubt I will make more than 20 an hour. I don't work as much during the school year but yeah, its 20, not too bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way I can take EMT classes now and get certified by the time I start college? Can I be a part time EMT and pick my shifts? That would probably work a hell of a lot better than attending UG full time and working full time. Besides tutoring and starting a business are there any good paying jobs out there for college kids? ANY?

I had a pretty well-paying (30 an hour, if I recall correctly) T.A.ing job in college that was 6 hours a week + lecture-prep time. I got lucky in getting it and you don't get much better than that (it was on campus, during the normal class schedule so I could schedule it as any other class, and it was really fun). Jobs like that are rare though. Off-campus jobs are a pain to get to if you don't have a car. Also, you won't have time to work enough to be paid as well as you'd like AND do well in school. Let me repeat this for emphasis: YOU WILL NOT HAVE TIME. Taking the night shift EMTing and then having class the next day pretty much sounds like hell to me. You can't take afternoon shifts because you will need to be doing homework. Labs are 3-hour affairs that will take up your afternoons, and lectures will take up your mornings. Recitations will be in between. EC's will take up the rest of your afternoon time. Jobs are what you fit AROUND all of those things, while trying to maintain the highest GPA you can. Med schools won't care that you didn't get a high GPA cause you were working all the time: unless you were taking care of family members, the "I wanted to buy a nice car and rent a nice apartment" argument won't fly. They'll simply (as they're so fond of doing) question your commitment: would you rather get into med school or make a bunch of money as an undergrad?

Trust me on this. Spend at LEAST you're first semester freshman year seeing what your time commitments are going to be like. Figure out your schedule, how much time it takes for you to study and get an A, join clubs that sound interesting and see how much time those take, etc. Maybe pick up a basic part-time job (if you have work-study usually you'll be able to get better ones) like restocking shelves at the library or picking up phones at one of the academic departments (I'm a fan of this one cause most of the time you just get to study) Second semester, if everything is going well and you still have extra time, then figure out what else you could be doing. But don't overextend yourself first semester. You'll be hard-pressed to find a low-gpa SDN premed who doesn't wish he or she had avoided overcommitting. Those "upward trends" people mention are usually due to having to adjust to new schedules and study habits. Don't screw up your GPA just cause you want to make money. Trust me, med schools are going to be underwhelmed.

Don't screw up your GPA just cause you want to make money.

QFT. Think long term, from a pure numbers perspective less money in college is way better than less money in your 30's +. Everyone has their own level which they can commit to work/ECs before it begins to affect their school work, be sure to identify yours and stay below it.

For summer jobs manual labor type jobs tend to pay pretty decent. I painted houses for a summer during highschool and made ~$15/hr under the table(no taxes!). Construction work (probably going to be hard to come by this next summer) pays similarly.

ButImLETired has some good advice. So many people over commit themselves when they first start college then have a lot of ground to make up. It will be a big adjustment starting college and trying to get used to the schedule. Med schools and other graduate programs will not care that you worked since other people will be applying who worked AND got great grades. You'd put in other threads that your grades in high school aren't great and that you don't study a lot, so it will be an even bigger adjustment for you. Don't set yourself up for failure.

Also, PLEASE STOP WORRYING ABOUT MONEY! If you get yourself on the right track and start doing what you love, the money will come. If you fail out of college first semester, you will have fewer opportunites to do what you want to or even make a lot of money. If you do things just because they pay well, you will not enjoy your life and you only go around once!

ButImLETired has some good advice. So many people over commit themselves when they first start college then have a lot of ground to make up. It will be a big adjustment starting college and trying to get used to the schedule. Med schools and other graduate programs will not care that you worked since other people will be applying who worked AND got great grades. You'd put in other threads that your grades in high school aren't great and that you don't study a lot, so it will be an even bigger adjustment for you. Don't set yourself up for failure.

Also, PLEASE STOP WORRYING ABOUT MONEY! If you get yourself on the right track and start doing what you love, the money will come. If you fail out of college first semester, you will have fewer opportunites to do what you want to or even make a lot of money. If you do things just because they pay well, you will not enjoy your life and you only go around once!

I agree with what you're saying but I have to critique your post.

My grades were terribly earlier in high school because I did not care (Idk why).

My grades are fantastic now. I study a little bit and get an A. I'm being moved up to honors in a few classes as well.

AND

I'M NOT WORRIED ABOUT $. I just don't want to work all the time and make nothing. I may not even get a job until sophomore year, after I have transitioned into college. I wouldn't consider a career just because of high income potential, give me a break.