Suggested reading materials?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alphadorian

Pre-Med, Non Trad
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reviewing interview questions for various schools and reading about interactions between prospective medical school students and adcom staff at various medical schools.

Among the typical questions like 'Why Medicine?' are questions about the current state of healthcare in the United States, ethical questions and delimas, and questions like 'What would you do to fix healthcare in the United States?'

I have two ish years before I'll be interviewing, so I have a little time to prepare. I figure the best way to prepare is to be very familiar with the current topics in modern medicine.

What publications do you recommend reading to become familiar with today's medical issues?

Members don't see this ad.

When I was prepping for interviews I wondered this too. In the end, I decided just to subscribe to Time and Newsweek and read every issue. They often have healthcare policy articles in there and I think it is a good idea to be up on current events in case an interviewer throws you a curveball about something random in the news. I never got around to doing it but it might be a good idea to get a book on medical ethics from the library since ethics questions are popular at interviews.

Though it won't talk about healthcare policy I found this book very helpful: http://www.amazon.com/Medical-Schoo...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281412887&sr=8-2

So reading the "Health" section on foxnews.com isn't enough?

Kidding of course. I do have a subscription to Time already. I can add Newsweek to reading list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest going to the barnes and nobel "medicine" section! there are tons of great reads. In fact I looked at one today (cant remember the name at the moment) it was for med students and discussed how to select residency but also discussed current issues in medicine (lots of stuff helpful for residency and even med school interviews). I flipped through it and it discussed the aging population, ect...

It is going to sound cliché, but The New Yorker and The Economist. The writing level is higher than most other periodicals (newspapers are often written at 8th grade level), and this may also help expand your vocabulary. (IE. verbal section if you haven't taken the MCAT).

Last edited:
Sounds nerdy but you can peruse pubmed for medical publications...or if you see an article regarding a subject use pubmed to find more indepth material, specifically clinical trials write-ups.