Suggestion for a peds textbook??

Started by Lindsay
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lindsay

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I just started my peds internship. Realizing that I know less than I used to, or less than I hoped I would, or something. 😕 I'm looking for suggestions on what to read this year. I've heard lots of recommendations for UpToDate and Wikipedia... anybody have any other suggestions? I'm particularly interested to hear if anyone has a favorite textbook that they consider worth buying.

Thanks in advance!

Lindsay
 
Hi everyone,

I just started my peds internship. Realizing that I know less than I used to, or less than I hoped I would, or something. 😕 I'm looking for suggestions on what to read this year. I've heard lots of recommendations for UpToDate and Wikipedia... anybody have any other suggestions? I'm particularly interested to hear if anyone has a favorite textbook that they consider worth buying.

Thanks in advance!

Lindsay

Nelson's was given to me as a gift. It is a wonderful resource, although not that practical as an intern (Can't carry it to work every day, and I Can count the amount of times I have had time at home to read on one hand). With that said, pick on good pediatrics textbook to have at home (Nelson's, etc.). It is great for when you are presenting at morning report or have time to sit down and actually read. Then keep a Harriet Lane, or Manual of Pediatric Therapeutics (a good alternative) in your bag. And use uptodate when in doubt.
 
Nelson's was given to me as a gift. It is a wonderful resource, although not that practical as an intern (Can't carry it to work every day, and I Can count the amount of times I have had time at home to read on one hand). With that said, pick on good pediatrics textbook to have at home (Nelson's, etc.). It is great for when you are presenting at morning report or have time to sit down and actually read. Then keep a Harriet Lane, or Manual of Pediatric Therapeutics (a good alternative) in your bag. And use uptodate when in doubt.

Personally, I would not buy a general textbook. If you need in-depth analysis of a topic, you can pull the nelson's off the net. If I had to pick a single book, I'd choose Zitelli. Other's I'd consider are a good peds derm book and a ortho book for pediatricians. You definitely want a Harriet Lane, unless there are a bunch of them floating around your hospitals.

Ed
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Personally, I would not buy a general textbook. If you need in-depth analysis of a topic, you can pull the nelson's off the net. If I had to pick a single book, I'd choose Zitelli. Other's I'd consider are a good peds derm book and a ortho book for pediatricians. You definitely want a Harriet Lane, unless there are a bunch of them floating around your hospitals.

Ed

Exactly.

Zitelli is a great book. If you do get a derm book get Hurwitz. I wouldn't spent too much time on Wikipedia.
 
Please don't use Wikipedia to find medical information or even make decisions that affect patients! Wikipedia is made by general consensus of a self-recruited and variable bunch of people who can write whatever they want, and most of whom may not have an idea what they're talking about (in the worst case).
UpToDate is written by experts in the field, using relevant scientific literature to review a particular topic (always with references).
If you want to read up on a certain condition in general, I'd also recommend searching PubMed and finding a recent review article. That way, you get really up to date information, too. Those papers will most likely also mention important trials, etc., which will help you understand the basis for certain diagnostic tests or treatments, e.g. when you're preparing a talk.
 
Last edited:
The most important thing for a new resident (or even a med student) is to "read SOMETHING". And by that I mean something that is current, peer-reviewed, and evidence-based. While Up-to-Date is probably better than Wikipedia, I have reservations about using that as a "sole source" for information.

I personally don't like the paperback Nelson's-poorly organized and simplistic. There is a new Rudolph's hardback coming in 2010 and that should be an excellent "master text". In the mean time, I would suggest getting one of the other paperbacks (Lange series, perhaps) and taking advantage of opportunities for serendipitous learning by reading in greater depth in the current literature about patients whom you see in clinic or on the inpatient service.