monsterbrain

Drinking for sanity.
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
corn country
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Two weeks left in the semester + finals week, and I have a 46% in pharmacokinetics :(. I'll try to keep this short. Professor doesn't lecture--expects us to read ahead and come in with question. When I have questions, there often isn't time to ask them. Mostly though I feel like a have a good understanding of the material and am able to work practice problems. Then I take the test (which are essay and always comprehensive by the way), and I can't synthesize the material. I've read one chapter 6 times now and worked all the problems 3 times, but I am NEVER prepared to answer his questions.

I plan on speaking with him after Thanksgiving break, but most of the students who have already approached him about this issue (there are about 50 of us) claim he is not helpful. He tells them that he doesn't know how to help them, it's their problem, and they need to figure it out themselves. It is so humiliating to study 30 hours for a test (not cramming) and only get a 35%. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. My professor is incompetent since 1/2 the class is failing, but I can't change that; I have to find a way to teach myself. Do any veterans have any advice for me?

FireyDragon

Beach Day is everyday!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2007
An open patch of beach
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I fully realize I am not a pharmacy student yet so don't flame me. Have you tried studying with some classmates that are passing his tests? Perhaps there is something you're missing that they can help with Also have you tried speaking with some upperclassmen? Are there old exams you can study from?

Just trying to help. Good Luck!!!

Aznfarmerboi

15+ Year Member
May 18, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Two weeks left in the semester + finals week, and I have a 46% in pharmacokinetics :(. I'll try to keep this short. Professor doesn't lecture--expects us to read ahead and come in with question. When I have questions, there often isn't time to ask them. Mostly though I feel like a have a good understanding of the material and am able to work practice problems. Then I take the test (which are essay and always comprehensive by the way), and I can't synthesize the material. I've read one chapter 6 times now and worked all the problems 3 times, but I am NEVER prepared to answer his questions.

I plan on speaking with him after Thanksgiving break, but most of the students who have already approached him about this issue (there are about 50 of us) claim he is not helpful. He tells them that he doesn't know how to help them, it's their problem, and they need to figure it out themselves. It is so humiliating to study 30 hours for a test (not cramming) and only get a 35%. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. My professor is incompetent since 1/2 the class is failing, but I can't change that; I have to find a way to teach myself. Do any veterans have any advice for me?

You can either file a petition and talk to your dean about it or you can wait and see what happens. He cannot fail 1/2 of class. I am guessing maybe he will curve the grades, give you bonus points, and so on. I dont think it'll be possible for you to get an A but like other pharmacy classes with crappy professors, just do your best and forget about it.

Storm90

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2008
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I had a professor that didn't lecture very well (often unprepared and :sleep:), no textbook or other study materials available (this course was thrown together at basically the last second), and no ability to respond to questions, not to mention a take home final that was absolute garbage. I had only 1 returned grade (86%-midterm), no syllabus, and ended up getting a C :)mad: I had straight A's that semester). What I did was attempt to challenge the course for proper grading as it was a colossal mess, which didn't work out at all. What I should have done was speak to the dean beforehand when I had all the issues and explained to him my and my classmates situation and that I had tried every other option before coming to him so I wouldn't waste my time. I think you should do what I should have done. Good luck. Pharmacokinetics is very important in pharmacy.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.