Suggestions and Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hodzawy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I retook the MCAT and improved my grade from a 495 to 500 in less than 5 months. I am a greencard holder from Egypt. Hence, a URM. I have been a medical scribe for 3 years now. Did research in Cairo University every summer for the last 2 years. Been on 2 medical mission trips. Volunteered with ER doctors during the arab spring. I lost 6 minutes of time during my MCAT and I have a letter from AAMC that proves so.
I want to advice on what Med schools I should apply to.
I am definitely applying to DO schools as well.
Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t know how well you will fair with an MCAT of 500.

Some schools will also average your scores, so you will effectively have a 497.5 in their eyes.

The lost time/letter proving so won’t do you much good IMO.

I would try to improve your MCAT if you are interested in gainin acceptance to an MD program. I am not too sure about DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are competitive for some DO schools so I suggest applying to all these:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
ICOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
CUSOM
LECOM
PCOM-Georgia and South Georgia
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
Your MCAT of 500 is below the 10th percentile for most schools. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you chances for a MD acceptance are only in the 20% range. You could try these MD schools but concentrate on a DO application:
All 4 SUNY's
Albany
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont

Reactions: 1 user
I am Middle eastern. My dad has some African roots. Most of my family is dark skinned except me. I am the genetic mutation as they call me (I took some genes from mom). I put "other" in my application for my race. Do you think that would increase my chances a bit?

I am Middle eastern. My dad has some African roots. Most of my family is dark skinned except me. I am the genetic mutation as they call me (I took some genes from mom). I put "other" in my application for my race. Do you think that would increase my chances a bit?