Suggestions for accepting admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shma06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I would really appreciate some insight into the following programs that I have been accepted to. I want to make a very well informed decision and have been asking around alot, but I do not have many personal accounts on these schools. Anyone care to share some insight into the following schools?
1. Syracuse University
2. Nova Southeastern University
3. University of South Florida

I would greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

I have never attended any of these schools, but I looked into both USF and Nova. I visited Nova and really liked it, but I've never really heard anybody talk about it, besides on this forum. On the other hand, I've heard people saying lots of great things about USF's program, including that it's the best in Florida (i.e. better than UF's). I also believe USF is much less expensive (not sure).

Unfortunately, I don't know a whole lot about USF but I can tell you a little bit about what I know from Nova. I'm not a student there yet but I will be starting the Au.D. program in the Fall.

I visited Nova originally because one of my profs at my current school had taught aud courses there. I was able to meet with the director of the program and some current students. I really loved what I learned and saw about the program. I interviewed a year later (this past Feb) and still thought it was a great option for me. It was close to my family and the area is fantastic! The faculty is wonderful and willing to answer any questions you might have. The facility is easily accessible. You have classes on campus in the HPD building but the clinic is a little farther down the road from the actual HPD bldg but you can take the campus shuttle there. There is graduate housing available on campus (Rolling Hills). I've heard good and bad things about it. Nothing really bad other than people are unhappy with the room sizes but this was the best option for me. I thought it would enable me to meet people both from the university and the HPD programs. There's multiple grocery stores and things of that nature with in 5-15 mins from campus and the shuttle takes you to a couple of these places at certain times (picks up at the res. hall--not sure if you were looking for that info but I figured I would offer it up anyways). The program itself definitely seems a little stressfull the first semester but then again, you'll have that at any program you choose to go to. The only thing that was really a negative for me was the cost. The other programs I applied to that are close to where I'm living now are about $10-14k. This program in tuition alone is $18,500. Yet, after looking at all the pros and cons from each school I was accepted to, I decided to go with Nova. If you have questions about specifics on the program, just message me and I can tell you as much as I know.

I'm not sure if you did this but it helped me out a lot--I talked to a lot of people from the schools that I was considering and made a pro/con list and listed everything I could think of..even if it was a small detail. It really helps! Also, I didn't have a lot of info about Nova at first and I posted on here asking current students in the program their advice. That may help you out too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am actually at Syracuse right now for undergrad and really like the program. As a senior I am already working with patients and really getting a hands-on experience. You can get up to 3 semesters of this too. Same with the Grad program, they get you right into everything from the start.
It is a very small program, and I really like all of my teachers & clinical supervisors.
I did not apply there for graduate school just because I am looking to start somewhere else, and it is a little pricey tuition (but the cost of living isn't too bad). But if I could take the program and just move it somewhere else, bringing my teachers and everything along, I would!

I also visited NOVA & got accepted. I wasn't thrilled with their program honestly, not sure what it was, but I just couldn't see myself there. Everyone else seemed to like it though.

Thank you all so far for your responses. They will be really helpful in helping me decide.-- especially the info on the living. I know a girl who is there for undergrad, and she recommended living off campus as a grad because of the cost. She said it is wayy cheaper to live off campus.

I spoke to faculty at my university regarding the programs. They have all really suggested I attend Syracuse. However, my school does not offer Audiology, besides 1 undergrad course, and I have no academic audiologists to ask their opinion of.

I also visited Nova for the interview, and I think if I decide to go there it would be for the convenience of the location. Syracuse offers more academically (mainly the possible bridge Ph.D. program) than Nova. However, I know a girl who is finishing her last year from Nova at the hospital I work at, and all the audiologists are very impressed with the level of knowledge.

I would really like to know some more about anything "special" Syracuse has to offer in their program if you know.

I kind of feel like I have narrowed it down to Nova and Syracuse...

Aud20doc10,
If you don't mind me asking, what is it that sold you on Nova? What are some of the "cons" you considered?

The main concern I have about them is that they don't offer the Ph.D. if I decide to bridge into it later.... and I am seriously considering research later on... But I really have NO CLUE when "later on" is... lol

Shma06,

Congrats on your offers.
As for Syracuse U - I did tremendous research on this school. Pros - small program/# of students, offers amazing scholarships and very friendly faculty. Cons - not a well known university for their AuD program, not many clinical externships, not known for research. If the PhD is the reason for choosing Syracuse - then I would consider otherwise. However, if it is the scholarship, great faculty, friendly admin, and course offerings - choose Syracuse!

Sorry I do not know much about Nova.
Good Luck with your decision!

I honestly do not know the great details about the SU grad program. I know they don't require a research project, but teachers are always doing research and you are more than welcome to assist them in the labs.

This may not be important to you, but it is for me...the weather.
The winters here can be pretty rough, but it makes the spring and summer time SO much nicer. It hits 50 and you see people in shorts & flip flops.

Downtown Syracuse is pretty fun, but it is not that big. I'm not sure if you got a chance to visit, or not but when you're on campus, you feel like you're on a campus. There is the quad, and dorms, and all the academic buildings. Kind of like its own little bubble. Downtown is only 5mins away, but it feels so much further during the week, just because it is so separate.

Your teachers are right, I think academically SU is stronger than NOVA.
Mine told me if I wanted to go to Florida to go to U of F, not NOVA.