Suggestions for paying through Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blixxex

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of work did you or your classmate do to help pay through Med School?

I hear starbucks covers health insurance? Tutoring maybe? Pole Dancing?

I know we are suppose to concentrate and study, etc, but I feel like working part time actually helps. I did way better in college when I had 5 part time jobs than when I had 1.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'd make the most $/hr stripping. You could prolly kill two birds with one stone and do some ID research there while you're at it.

Reactions: 1 user
Any part-time money that you could earn in medical school is going to be a drop in the bucket compared to how much you'll be taking in loans. Not worth it, imo. I wouldn't try to pull off a job on the side unless it paid really well (like a former pharmacist picking up shifts on weekends, for example).

Members don't see this ad :)
The school I'll be attending won't let you work during the school year. If administration finds out you get put on probation. If you don't quit your job or it happens again you get dismissed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pole dancing is great - because I can get my work out in and get some cash. Strippings requires the removal of clothes. One is clothed (just like going to a beach) and the other is walking around topless :/

Pole dancing is great - because I can get my work out in and get some cash. Strippings requires the removal of clothes. One is clothed (just like going to a beach) and the other is walking around topless :/
Yes but both command the same level of respect - none.
There are other ways to stay in shape and make money, stop being foolish.

I think it would be foolish to compromise your medical school grades and potential Step 1 study time for a part time job when you can take out loans. The interest paid is a less significant repercussion than bombing medical school and ending up either with 6 figure non-dischargeable debt, or if you do pass, you might end up in a specialty that you don't like and/or is less lucrative (if you are financially motivated).

Nothing wrong with either, honestly. Good way to make money, it's hands-off, and the hours fit well with medical school. One of my friends married a girl that used to do it before she went into marketing, she could pull 1k in two nights of work, 4-5 hours a night. I don't get why people get all uppity about things like this. Who cares about the level of respect that it affords- we're chasing dollars here, not prestige. If you want to dance for money, that's your business.

You would be far better just learning to live within your means on the loan money provided though. Learning how to properly budget and handle your finances is a skill that will benefit you through residency and beyond. While working more to earn more money isn't a bad thing in and of itself, a lot of people seem to get stuck in the "I don't have enough money to afford what I want, I could either spend less or work more. I guess I'll just work more!" trap. Learning to be frugal, rather than a slave to ever-increasing debts that force you to take ever higher workloads just to make ends meet, is a great mindset to have.

Don't get some lame ass, low paying job just for a few extra bucks here and there though. It'll be a waste of time you could be using to study compared to the income it brings in. Go big or go home when it comes to part time jobs, if you choose to take one.

Oh right, I forgot we are in the world of the prestige-obsessed dick waving that is mostly comprised of the upper middle class. Thanks for the reminder.
You do have to draw the line somewhere though. If you're forgetting about respect and just chasing dollars, why not low-key open up a dispensary in California? And then give out recommendations after an internship?

You do have to draw the line somewhere though. If you're forgetting about respect and just chasing dollars, why not low-key open up a dispensary in California? And then give out recommendations after an internship?
This is where ethics comes in. There is nothing unethical about stripping as it relates to medicine. But there is certainly something unethical about kickbacks and self-referrals.

I mean, I guess you could be a stripper doctor that tells your patients to meet you at the strip club after work, but that's about the only way I could see a conflict of interest between the two.

This is where ethics comes in. There is nothing unethical about stripping as it relates to medicine. But there is certainly something unethical about kickbacks and self-referrals.

I mean, I guess you could be a stripper doctor that tells your patients to meet you at the strip club after work, but that's about the only way I could see a conflict of interest between the two.
I could just see it now:

Huffington Post: Who Dat on The Pole? Your Children's Doctor Forced to Strip in Wake of Crippling Student Debt.

Reactions: 2 users
you can make some pretty good money working part time as an EMT. if you work for the right agency with low call volume you could end up sitting on the ambulance studying most of your shift