Suggestions for renting a car over rotation time period?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amicable Angora

Lagomorpha
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so the school I'm at has 4 week rotations and I need to rent a car for that time period. Any suggestions on how to get the best deals? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Rent by weeks not days, the whole 4 weeks, get the cheapest economy car from hertz, budget or enterprise. Search discount code online and apply it. You will probably get it for $200-400/month. Also, don't rent around airport/heavy traffic areas, go to a bit rural area. Compare different zip code. Sometimes they can give you better deal calling... Negotiate...

Reactions: 3 users
+ Don't sign up for their insurance, waive it, use your credit card that gives you insurance on rental cars.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rent by weeks not days, the whole 4 weeks, get the cheapest economy car from hertz, budget or enterprise. Search discount code online and apply it. You will probably get it for $200-400/month. Also, don't rent around airport/heavy traffic areas, go to a bit rural area. Compare different zip code. Sometimes they can give you better deal calling... Negotiate...

Funniest thing NO lie. I thought about specifically private messaging either you or BMBiology... Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
How old are you? If you are under 25, your options are pretty limited. I was stuck with Dollar Rent a Car when I was driving around the Midwest for interviews, and then was hit with the young driver surcharge ($25/day). Nobody else would rent to me.

How old are you? If you are under 25, your options are pretty limited. I was stuck with Dollar Rent a Car when I was driving around the Midwest for interviews, and then was hit with the young driver surcharge ($25/day). Nobody else would rent to me.

I'm in my late 20's so that's not a problem.

Some places also have a monthly rate you can't book online. Definitely call and ask about it. Also, your employer may have a corporate discount rate if you work for a larger company.

Other options not mentioned above: check Costco's travel website (free to search, I'm sure you have a friend with membership), also some car dealerships will rent (i know Toyota dealers will).

Have you considered using Uber or Lyft daily? That might be feasible depending on distance and location.

+1 for skipping the rip off that is rental car insurance, decline all and charge to a major CC with rental coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

+ Don't sign up for their insurance, waive it, use your credit card that gives you insurance on rental cars.
Most credit cards only provide secondary rental car insurance if you already have car insurance on your own car, so you have to claim through your own car insurance first and pay your deductible (which I think can be covered by the credit card insurance). Do you know which cards have primary rental car insurance? I'm looking to get one.

Most credit cards only provide secondary rental car insurance if you already have car insurance on your own car, so you have to claim through your own car insurance first and pay your deductible (which I think can be covered by the credit card insurance). Do you know which cards have primary rental car insurance? I'm looking to get one.

AMEX of course, if you pay a flat fee $20. Chase Sapphire if you need bonus but there is an annual fee for it after the first year. I think all the cc charges annual fee for primary insurance. I'd go with AMEX for a flat fee instead.

AMEX of course, if you pay a flat fee $20. Chase Sapphire if you need bonus but there is an annual fee for it after the first year. I think all the cc charges annual fee for primary insurance. I'd go with AMEX for a flat fee instead.
Whoops, I should've specified that I'm looking for a free credit card.