Mar 18, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I am planning to start a Red Cross Club at my high school. I got permission from my local Red Cross coordinator to form one, and now I just need to find a host teacher and get permission from the principal, as well as get four or five students to start the club. I'll be brainstorming with my friends what we should do in the club, but I'd like some suggestions on what would be good to do in a club like this. We plan to focus on health-related activities and issues, including hospital volunteerism, but we need a lot more ideas.

Mar 18, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Bump. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

skierbum

5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2009
someplace not so tropical
My advice: look at this link 1st.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3277

Their top person makes 500k a year-way more than the average joe. Donations shouldn't be going to high salaries.

That being said, I would make your club more broad. Have a Health club or a disaster relief club, then you could donate to a number of disasters/a larger variety of activities and attract more students.

RedRaider19

Class of 2015
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I agree with skierbum, in that you should consider creating a more broad organization, such as a Health Club. Blood drives are always popular and in demand, disaster relief drives are usually easy to help with as well. Also, if you live in a larger city or area you should look into organizations such as The Ronald McDonald House and similar organizations. Programs like the Ronald McDonald house usually have volunteer work you can do, rather than begging people to donate money. It wouldn't hurt to contact your local hospital(s) and talk to a volunteer coordinator. They can probably find things you can help with, or point you to organizations that can.
Good luck with your club!