Suggestions on increasing student budget

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

squacken22

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I'm a MS2 and my husband and I know we are going to need an increased budget next year as we are adopting. Any suggestions on how to get a school to increase your grad plus $ to help with upcoming expenses?

Thanks!
 
I'd suggest contacting the school. My public med school does allow an increase in student loans for childcare, but only for daycare related expenses and only up to their threshold amount (around $700-$800 per month I recall). The assumption in my case is that my spouse works; there's not an increase in student loans available for me to pay add'l food/housing for my spouse & kids.

Cool that you're adopting, I'm surprised that a med student can do this as it cost a friend in the $20K range to adopt a child from China a few years back.