Suggestions on items to prepare for first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Were they these?

No, those are pretty though (though I think I read about the shiny finish cracking)
They were these kind Dansko clogs in Grey Prism Patent Metallic size 41

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You actually just reminded me that compression socks are on my list of things to eventually pick up for clinics. Simple ones would go just fine with these, it's really that I own too many bright rainbow socks and it's too much going on down there lol

As your foot came completely out of the shoe, or just your heel came up? From my understanding your heel is supposed to come out of the shoe when you walk, it's some weird thing related to the ergonomics
My whole heel not just my foot kinda slipped out but like the only thing still in this shoe is my toes. I dunno maybe it's supposed to do that but it's weird. Do you get over that?

My whole heel not just my foot kinda slipped out but like the only thing still in this shoe is my toes. I dunno maybe it's supposed to do that but it's weird. Do you get over that?
Yeah I got more used to it after I wore them a few times. Probably halfish of my foot comes up when I walk in them

I have these

IMG_2500.JPG

View attachment 292446

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Chill chill chilllll... What do otters use to put their ski equipment in? Come on seeeessay. see. ess. Cee. Sss. Makes a funny sound when you say it out loud, no? Wow, the ADD is strong in this one this am.

I also wore an old pair of rain boots for anatomy lab for large animal anatomy because those cadavers had so much fluid all the time. It’s slimy and gross and I needed to not have that smell with me in my life hahaha

Egg! Long time.

I got these ones because I am a child

50662.jpg

I also recommend trying some on in a store even if you intend to eventually order online because the intended fit is different from most shoes and they also use EU sizing, so it's good to try them on before you buy them so you don't have to waste time to return and re-ship a different size if you get them online.

They're pricier than I normally spend on shoes but so worth it.

Also, is recommend getting some of those socks that you use for low flats or toms or whatever, because other socks stick out pretty far from them and if you're like me your socks will be ridiculous and won't go with the clogs at all. You can wear them without socks I guess, but my feet are gross and sweaty and I don't like doing that.

Wow. You did not fail to disappoint! Coming in hot with that clutch back up!! Love it. :love:

Amazing how I didn't tag any of the people, but everyone I mentioned responded.... amazing to think about just how many people read your posts... also good catch!! I haven't used that nickname for her in a good long while!

I'm just gonna throw this out.... I'm a weirdo and hate runners. Hate them! But I needed a new pair because there are some situations where they're necessary. I'm not wearing leather boots with a 2" heel in the OR. I found myself at Sport Chek and wound up getting a Merrill trail running shoe. And they're the first ones in... well, ever really... that I don't despise. In case there are any others like me kicking around on here.

Ayyyy. Leather boots in the OR. Meow.

The only people I don't recommend danskos for are people who are prone to rolling ankles. Because if you wear them your ankles are gonna be like "Transformers, roll out!"

You can be my Optimus any day :love:

Oh man they're so expensive

Aren't you a doctor already, Dr. Cooptastic???

I'm not an alcoholic, I swear!
Nah, you're perfect :love:

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wore sneakers to lecture, rubber boots to anatomy, Toms or flats in small animal rotations and my Ariat paddock boots or rubber boots for large animal rotations. I wear black New Balance sneakers to work now.

Reactions: 3 users
Just to provide a different perspective, I'm not a fan of danskos. Because there is such a large difference in height between the heel and the toe (they have quite a heel) it shortens your calf muscles and achilles tendon.
Different strokes for different folks though! I know tons of people who love them

Last edited:
I got these ones because I am a child

50662.jpg

I also recommend trying some on in a store even if you intend to eventually order online because the intended fit is different from most shoes and they also use EU sizing, so it's good to try them on before you buy them so you don't have to waste time to return and re-ship a different size if you get them online.

They're pricier than I normally spend on shoes but so worth it.
I have pretty brown and orange patterned ones I bought from a roommate and friend who had gotten a size too large. Still pretty happy with them 7 years later lol didn’t realize how old they were!!

Reactions: 1 users
The only people I don't recommend danskos for are people who are prone to rolling ankles. Because if you wear them your ankles are gonna be like "Transformers, roll out!"
Despite being a major ankle roller, I do okay. Have I rolled my ankles and almost broken my leg? Yes. But they are comfortable enough that I prefer them to sneakers, idk why. It helps that I have flat feet maybe?

I even hunted to find them in my closet.

they are a size 37 (and I typically average on a us women’s 8). I cannot tell you how many people still compliment me on them. Sometimes I even forget I’m wearing them until someone is like I *LOVE* your shoes
image.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I even hunted to find them in my closet.

they are a size 37 (and I typically average on a us women’s 8). I cannot tell you how many people still compliment me on them. Sometimes I even forget I’m wearing them until someone is like I *LOVE* your shoes
View attachment 292453
Those are pretty :love: also I thought size 37 was more 7. Eh whatever lol

• Love
Lol no I'm a third-year :p but thanks anyways :love:

I remember, it hasn't been thaaaaaat long! You were a first year when I hopped on here after submitting apps. We've even WW'd and had our fair share of scraps!

These feel like some deep inebriated thoughts :thinking: :cat:

Broseppie, I wish. Can't remember the last time I was feeling toasty on a Sunday am. Got a chicken quiz tomorrow so I'm 'bout that study life aujourd'hui.

Reactions: 2 users
I remember, it hasn't been thaaaaaat long! You were a first year when I hopped on here after submitting apps. We've even WW'd and had our fair share of scraps!

Broseppie, I wish. Can't remember the last time I was feeling toasty on a Sunday am. Got a chicken quiz tomorrow so I'm 'bout that study life aujourd'hui.
I do remember the bouts, they were good scraps!

My Rothy’s collection needs to talk to you...
I’m thinking of getting some Rothy’s, do you think they’re professional enough for interviews? I was thinking the black points.

I’m thinking of getting some Rothy’s, do you think they’re professional enough for interviews? I was thinking the black points.

Yeah, totally. Just keep the hemline of your pants in mind - if they are hemmed for heels they might be long. I think lots of the patterns would be great, but blacks are classic. I have a pair.

And - of course - if anyone wants a code for $20 off first pair they can PM me. :shrug: Gotta get that hustle.

Yeah, totally. Just keep the hemline of your pants in mind - if they are hemmed for heels they might be long. I think lots of the patterns would be great, but blacks are classic. I have a pair.

And - of course - if anyone wants a code for $20 off first pair they can PM me. :shrug: Gotta get that hustle.
Oooo I love the stripes! I have a deep burgundy and a black suit so I was going to get the black so they could go with either (wore the burgundy to one interview and haven’t decided if I’ll wear it to my others or not!). I have short legs so I actually got more of a straight leg so they hit higher so I think flats would look nice.

Def PMing for the discount! Thank you!

I'm chuckling at all the Dansko posts and thinking of a certain prof... "... when everybody's sprinting to the emergency... well... I wear Danskos so I shuffle briskly...."

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Danskos teach you the art of, “I didn’t just roll my ankle sideways and almost fall, I have no idea what you’re talking about”

Inadvisable for weak ankles but I never injured myself aside from my pride. And the comfort otherwise makes it worth it IMO. That said - haven’t worn them in quite a while...

Reactions: 3 users
I forgot to respond about shoes...I thought about getting danskos but I just really don't like how they look tbh.

I have these
Skechers for Work Women's Sure Track Trickel Slip Resistant Work Shoe, Black, 7 M US Amazon product
And have gotten no comments about whether or not they're nice enough for the rotations where we are supposed to dress business casual

Oddly enough I have a couple pairs of booties that are super comfy and fine for walking in all day as long as I wear those non-slip tiny sock things that are made to be worn with flats
Soda Mug ankle bootie Black Im 6 (Edit: looks like these don't exist on Amazon anymore, imagine black ankle boots with a low heel here)

Rockport Cobb Hill Women's Abilene Boot, Almond, 6.5 M US Amazon product

I did wear my flats for a bit but I'm actually flat-footed so they were not comfy to be in all day

For large animal I wear my old running shoes or hiking boots depending on how I'm feeling. Muck Boots for dirty stuff/farm calls/situations where I would be wearing my coveralls.

Actually didn't buy any of these specifically for clinics other than the sketchers, they were all things I already had

Reactions: 4 users
I forgot to respond about shoes...I thought about getting danskos but I just really don't like how they look tbh.

I have these
Skechers for Work Women's Sure Track Trickel Slip Resistant Work Shoe, Black, 7 M US Amazon product
And have gotten no comments about whether or not they're nice enough for the rotations where we are supposed to dress business casual

Oddly enough I have a couple pairs of booties that are super comfy and fine for walking in all day as long as I wear those non-slip tiny sock things that are made to be worn with flats
Soda Mug ankle bootie Black Im 6 (Edit: looks like these don't exist on Amazon anymore, imagine black ankle boots with a low heel here)

I did wear my flats for a bit but I'm actually flat-footed so they were not comfy to be in all day

For large animal I wear my old running shoes or hiking boots depending on how I'm feeling. Muck Boots for dirty stuff/farm calls/situations where I would be wearing my coveralls.

Actually didn't buy any of these specifically for clinics other than the sketchers, they were all things I already had

Those Rockports are about my speed for everyday wear. My back hates flats; I need about a 2" heel to be comfortable. I'm not at all put together properly from an MSK perspective Right now it's obviously winter boots (windchill was about -31F this morning if the conversion thingy is telling the truth) so my lumbar spine is permanently pissed off until spring.

• Sad

I have these

I've rocked comfy hiking boots more than I'd like to admit on large animal rotations

I liked the feel of the Dansko I tried in person so got a dark blue pair. Hopefully not a $130 regret! I have free return worst case

Anyone have recommendations on shoes for horse work? Looking into old posts people have highly recommend Ariat Terrains.

Figured I'd put out feelers if anyone had different recommendations. I'm going to invest in some new shoes soon!

Anyone have recommendations on shoes for horse work? Looking into old posts people have highly recommend Ariat Terrains.

Figured I'd put out feelers if anyone had different recommendations. I'm going to invest in some new shoes soon!
I really like my Ariat paddock boots (don't remember what model they were, but they were the paddock boot style). I've gone through probably 3-4 pairs of them over the years. They are also safe shoes to ride in if you want to do some riding.

I really like my Ariat paddock boots (don't remember what model they were, but they were the paddock boot style). I've gone through probably 3-4 pairs of them over the years. They are also safe shoes to ride in if you want to do some riding.

I love my Ariat paddock boots- ride in them all the time and they’ve held up amazingly.

Bought the Danskos, breaking them in is a little painful. Not at all what I was expecting. They're very firm
Ugh. The worst when shoes are uncomfortable. Someone mentioned a decent return policy for worst case, I suppose? I wonder if kaydubs ever had the same issue. Also, there is show stretching liquid now days? I'm so behind on the times. I wonder how many men wear danskos as well...

Ugh. The worst when shoes are uncomfortable. Someone mentioned a decent return policy for worst case, I suppose? I wonder if kaydubs ever had the same issue. Also, there is show stretching liquid now days? I'm so behind on the times. I wonder how many men wear danskos as well...
It's true they're much better now than when they first came but holy cow! They run and the tops are so tight (apparently this is a common problem?) But they stretch. So I just gotta be patient and yeah, try some shoe stretching liquid.