Suggestions on Masters / Post Bacc Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wwuviking

MOTIVATED
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just came from a meeting with my pre health advisor. I am a post bacc student who has been just taking the pre reqs at a local U. She advised me to look into the masters or post bacc programs. (I'm not too confident that she knew all that much about them) I wanted to ask your guys opinion and see if you guys had any suggestions about which programs are great. I'm from the Northwest and would like to stay in this general area. Any info is appreciated.

Extra Info if relevant:

Undergrad GPA: 2.8

Post Bacc (3.4 Chem and Bio)

Members don't see this ad.

I was very similar to you. there is nothing wrong with staying in an informal post bac... try to take some upper level bio classes also, maintaining as close to a 4.0 as possible.

Though when i talked to Buffalo i was told a Masters degree is looked upon favorably. the way i have viewed Masters programs is simple and in this order.

1) Masters with link to at least 1 dental school (UMDNJ, Boston, Tufts, NOVA, Midwestern) these are all great examples

2) non linked Masters in oral biology or similar is equivalent to Masters from any good 4 year university (Barry, state schools, ect.) there is some debate if Barry still has links to NOVA and i do not know.

3) informal post bacc with heavy upper level sciences...

A good rule a thumb floating on SDN about post graduate work is if you do not have the pre-reqs informal is the best direction for cost and flexibility in what classes you take (this is what i did for 56 credits) that you can gear toured the schools you want to apply to. while if you have your pre-reqs already and a low GPA it is good to prove handling a rigid course load with the masters programs (i will start a one year master at my state school this august, my application year per buffalo insight and loans i need) grants, school loans will not touch you without being matriculated they will have to be private loans or your savings.

either way it is best to maintain at least 12 credits but more may prove your ability better, high GPA is more important then high credit hours, and all this info is just opinions from myself and a few others from sdn...

good luck

Last edited:
The advice from Sisero couldn't be better IMO.

What was your undergrad degree? How many bio/chem courses have you taken?

Not meant to be an insult in any way, but you should try and get >3.6 GPA if you are doing post-bacc with your starting GPA. Really study hard and get as close to a 4.0 from here on out to bring your GPA up.

Good luck, and keep at it.

hey guys thanks for the solid advice. My undergrad degree was Environmental Studies and Comm.

I've only taken the gen chem and bio series thus far. I'm taking O Chem this summer and not doing as well as I thought I would. I may have to take a W, and shoot for an A next semester. I'm aware that my academic records aren't excellent, so no offense was taken. I'm pretty realistic and understand that my best shots are at the more expensive schools.