Suggestions on what to do before starting pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tykore

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Does anyone have anything they would like to recommend before starting first year of pharmacy school? I kind of know what to expect material-wise but I'm not too sure. Is there something I could work on now that would make life easier for me in the near future?

Members don't see this ad.

top 200 drugs!! prescription and otc

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

Does anyone have anything they would like to recommend before starting first year of pharmacy school? I kind of know what to expect material-wise but I'm not too sure. Is there something I could work on now that would make life easier for me in the near future?

Earning therapeutics depends on pharmacology. And pharmacology depends on biochemistry. If you understand medical biochemistry, you automatically have a huge leg up in understanding medication therapies.

To that end I recommend the medicalbiochemistrypage.com (or at least that is what it was called once upon a time? Honestly haven't checked it out in a few years)

And when you start studying your top 200 drugs, look at the listed contraindications and adverse events and try to discover WHY something is listed as a contraindication and WHY something is listed as an adverse event. If you understand the mechanics (biochemistry/pharmacology) of how medications create intended benefit and undesirable consequences, you will barely need to study in the future because most medications affect a limited set of pathways. Understand the pathway and the need to memorize goes out the window.

It will also make you a much better clinician.

Reactions: 2 users
I recommend relaxing and traveling the world if you're into that. You will have plenty of time to learn pharmacy topics during pharmacy school. I spent a lot of time pursuing my hobbies before pharmacy school started and don't regret it one bit.

If you want to be productive, get a job as a technician or volunteer somewhere so you can secure an intern position once school starts.

Play WoW.
Dude thats not very nice he was trying to be serious here. I advise you to look up the entry level textbooks for your pharmacy courses and complete the chapter exercise work ahead of time. If you do this you will have good study material for the exams.

Dude thats not very nice he was trying to be serious here. I advise you to look up the entry level textbooks for your pharmacy courses and complete the chapter exercise work ahead of time. If you do this you will have good study material for the exams.

Don't listen to this one.

Relax, the next 4 years are going to be tough whether or not you study now. Review the top 2-300 just to get a basic idea.

Enjoy your life now to the fullest.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for all the replies tho I appreciate it. They have been quite helpful for planning my next 6 or so months

Screw off, relax, and have fun. Reading through a biochem book or some random therapeutics book is in no way going to actually prepare you for what's to come. Enjoy a little time off and push the inevitable burn out back a few months

Hello all,

Build up a healthy body and stable mind, you will lose both during school.

I normally enjoy sarcasm but really? Withdraw? That's the best advice you can offer ? I have no intention of doing so

Don't look back in four years and regret it then

Don't look back in four years and regret it then
Pretty sure the reason we're applying to pharmacy schools is because we're interested and passionate about it. So if youre truly passionate, I dont see a reason for anyone to regret it (even tho the job outlook and the amount of debt may not be at times favourable)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk