Suggestions please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docindev

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, I apologize if this is in the wrong section. Please move accordingly.

Second, here is my dilemma: I got accepted into an M.S. program that I want to do, but the problem is that it begins early in August and I am also signed up to take the MCAT at the end of August.

I've been studying for the MCAT this summer (roughly a month), but I am not sure how I would be able to continue studying if I began the master's program. One of the reasons I want to do this master's program is because of my low gpa. This program might help me get into medical school if I do well enough in it, but I hate to squander a chance to put up a solid MCAT score (btw, I've taken MCAT twice already without studying at all and I'm hoping 3rd time is the charm, especially because I am studying for it this time). Every day is useful and I am not sure how I would find the time to study when I am busy moving in to the school where this program is and also finding my way around campus, etc.

The other part is this- let's say I don't enroll in this program (by the way it is quite competitive (expensive also!) and I don't know if I'll ever get a chance like this) and then get a decent score on the MCAT (30+) when scores come out in september. What do I do in the year off after this? I have graduated from undergrad and I definitely cannot apply to medical schools with my gpa, so what can I do in the year I have off? I cannot apply to any programs because they'll all have begun (at least for Fall 2011) and the only thing I can do is apply again for Fall 2012 enrollment.

Please any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any way you can sign up for an MCAT at the end of July and bust your chops studying and taking practice tests until then? Have you taken any practice tests so far, and if so, have you had good results?

Any way you can sign up for an MCAT at the end of July and bust your chops studying and taking practice tests until then? Have you taken any practice tests so far, and if so, have you had good results?

I don't think I'll be as ready as I want to be by the end of July. I've already taken the exam twice, and I want to make sure that this time I definitely get a decent score.

Members don't see this ad :)
bumping...please I really need help to make this possibly life-altering decision!

For several reasons, I would not enroll in the Master's program. For one, unless it's an SMP, graduate school classes will not overshadow poor undergrad grades.

Another reason is you say you took the MCAT twice before, and this third time, you "only" plan to study two months? Are you sure you can pull off a high score this time around? If you only increase your score by a couple of points, it will be your death knell. Realistically, you need to be scoring low 30s to overcome those previous MCAT scores if you have around a 3.4 GPA or so, and you need mid 30's MCATs for GPAs lower than that. Seriously.

If I were you, I would take 4 of the easiest BCPM classes I could find at your ugrad or local state school and then study for the MCAT religiously in August before your post-bac classes really start to get tough. I am talking about 100-200 level classes, not 400+ classes. As I have said before to others, get good grades in these BS classes, and then worry about taking a few 300 level classes on top of more 100-200 level classes in the spring semester.

For several reasons, I would not enroll in the Master's program. For one, unless it's an SMP, graduate school classes will not overshadow poor undergrad grades.

Another reason is you say you took the MCAT twice before, and this third time, you "only" plan to study two months? Are you sure you can pull off a high score this time around? If you only increase your score by a couple of points, it will be your death knell. Realistically, you need to be scoring low 30s to overcome those previous MCAT scores if you have around a 3.4 GPA or so, and you need mid 30's MCATs for GPAs lower than that. Seriously.

If I were you, I would take 4 of the easiest BCPM classes I could find at your ugrad or local state school and then study for the MCAT religiously in August before your post-bac classes really start to get tough. I am talking about 100-200 level classes, not 400+ classes. As I have said before to others, get good grades in these BS classes, and then worry about taking a few 300 level classes on top of more 100-200 level classes in the spring semester.
+1.

but, in answer to your question...

I enrolled in a Master's program in mid-August and retook the mcat in early September. I had no difficult studying for the MCAT during the early part of my master's program.

So do whatever makes you happy.

Another option is that I take bio courses through the Extension (since I have graduated) at my undergraduate institution for 1 year. The max I'd be able to take is 6 for the entire academic year because they won't let us take any more.

Anyone have any input regarding this option vs the MS option I mentioned above.

Thanks a million!