Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DenTony11235

I attended and graduated last year from School A. I took a class this past Spring semester and am taking another class at School B this summer semester (Will get my grade around July 7). I'm also getting my MCAT score on July 1 and will decide if I want a retake (I say roughly 50% chance of that).

My questions is: What's the best way to go about submitting my application?
-Since I took so many more classes at School A where I graduated from, can I have my coursework from it verified sooner? Or does it have to be at the same time as when I submit my application (after I get my grade for this summer class I'm taking now at school B).

I think I have to wait for my coursework to all be verified at the same time, but I was wondering if there was something helpful I may be missing. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Just submit what you have now so that it gets verified. Once you get your summer grades, you can submit them to update your application (this might have to be done through each school, I don't remember if AMCAS will update them post verification). If everyone taking summer classes had to wait until their grades came in to submit their application, none of them would ever get into medical school because they applied so late.

Just submit what you have now so that it gets verified. Once you get your summer grades, you can submit them to update your application (this might have to be done through each school, I don't remember if AMCAS will update them post verification). If everyone taking summer classes had to wait until their grades came in to submit their application, none of them would ever get into medical school because they applied so late.

Another thing is that I'm not sure I did well enough on the MCAT. I know i can do well, which is why once I find out on July 1st, I'll retake right away (within a week), but I still might retake. Does that change anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS will not make any changes to your coursework after verification is complete. You can enter the current class as Future if it's important for med schools to know it's pending, due to being a prerequisite, for example. It's unlikely that a single class will have such an impact on your GPAs that it would be worth waiting for.

You can request both your transcripts be sent to AMCAS now and submit the primary application without the MCAT score (to just one school, perhaps, until you know how competitive you are) so you can be verified in a shorter period of time. On the application state the date of the planned MCAT. When the MCAT score is released, you can add more schools and pay for them then. All schools would get the complete application within a business day. If you don't like your MCAT score, you can update that portion of the application to reflect a new date (one of the few sections that you can change).

AMCAS will not make any changes to your coursework after verification is complete. You can enter the current class as Future if it's important for med schools to know it's pending, due to being a prerequisite, for example. It's unlikely that a single class will have such an impact on your GPAs that it would be worth waiting for.

You can request both your transcripts be sent to AMCAS now and submit the primary application without the MCAT score (to just one school, perhaps, until you know how competitive you are) so you can be verified in a shorter period of time. On the application state the date of the planned MCAT. When the MCAT score is released, you can add more schools and pay for them then. All schools would get the complete application within a business day. If you don't like your MCAT score, you can update that portion of the application to reflect a new date (one of the few sections that you can change).

I see. I'm taking calc right now, a class that freshman year I got an F then a D in and really wanted to get a A in now, is it not worth waiting ~2 weeks for it. Since it'll take me about 2 weeks from now to complete my application.

I see. I'm taking calc right now, a class that freshman year I got an F then a D in and really wanted to get a A in now, is it not worth waiting ~2 weeks for it. Since it'll take me about 2 weeks from now to complete my application.
This would definitely be another situation in which waiting would be justified.

Just a head's up, you may want to double check your school's policy on transcripting summer courses. I was planning to wait until after I finished my summer courses at the end of June to submit, but discovered in talking to my advisor that although I will know my grade at the end of the month, the registrar transcripts all summer courses after the end of second session in August. I asked around with friends taking classes elsewhere, and it's apparently not an uncommon thing for schools to do this. So if your school has another summer session after your class ends, just double check that if you send your transcript in July, the grade will be on there!

Just a head's up, you may want to double check your school's policy on transcripting summer courses. I was planning to wait until after I finished my summer courses at the end of June to submit, but discovered in talking to my advisor that although I will know my grade at the end of the month, the registrar transcripts all summer courses after the end of second session in August. I asked around with friends taking classes elsewhere, and it's apparently not an uncommon thing for schools to do this. So if your school has another summer session after your class ends, just double check that if you send your transcript in July, the grade will be on there!

Solid advice. The thought was lingering in my mind but now I'm gonna go check. Thanks.