Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lostin_space

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could any of you current and past pain fellows give me any suggestions as to what to do as far as research options go?

I have inquired about options from my home program numerous times, Im told they don't currently have any studies, and I have inquired from other faculty, from different programs and faculty and I'm told that no one has any current studies.

I feel frustrated and not sure where else to look. I have probably asked a good 15 or so people. Anyone can provide any suggestions as to where I can find options for research prior to applying

Members don't see this ad.

Think about patients you have seen and do a case report. Or consider a problem you have seen in clinic and do a retrospective review.

You will look a lot better applying for fellowship and discussing a research project you thought of yourself rather than being spoon fed a project/paper. Part of the process of becoming an independent physician is being able to independently create research.

You'll get first author credit. You can then ask your favorite faculty member to be your faculty advisor on YOUR project , so he/she will see the work you've done and so can write you a letter of rec.

Think about patients you have seen and do a case report. Or consider a problem you have seen in clinic and do a retrospective review.

You will look a lot better applying for fellowship and discussing a research project you thought of yourself rather than being spoon fed a project/paper. Part of the process of becoming an independent physician is being able to independently create research.

You'll get first author credit. You can then ask your favorite faculty member to be your faculty advisor on YOUR project , so he/she will see the work you've done and so can write you a letter of rec.

No one I know that has done research in pain has done an independent research project, all of them have joined a faculty project. My goal is to work with a faculty mentor on a currently established project. Why would I have to do a completely independent project? Not to mention that anything that I could come up now on my own would be pretty pathetic compared to what an established attending could be working on.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one I know that has done research in pain has done an independent research project, all of them have joined a faculty project. My goal is to work with a faculty mentor on a currently established project. Why would I have to do a completely independent project? Not to mention that anything that I could come up now on my own would be pretty pathetic compared to what an established attending could be working on.

"why should have to do a completely independent project"?.......uh because all of of your home faculty and faculty from other institutions you have contacted, don't have a project you can work on.................

That's niiiice that your goal is to work with a faculty mentor a on a currently project, guess what that's not working out, so you might need to be flexible. My goal might be to be George Clooney , but I'm blonde so I guess I'll have to readjust my goals.....

I don't know what you were expecting by posting your question, but I provided a very reasonable possible solution to your concern and you just dismissed it out of hand without considering it or asking any follow-up questions. You also missed my point or are unaware that being first author on your own smaller paper is more prestigious than being the third or fourth author on your attendings paper, unless that paper cures cancer.

Only after you responded to my post, did I remember who you were, the resident that was complaining about not getting to do any procedures and you were asking us to fix all of that for you instead of stepping up and being aggressive about asking for procedures. I wonder if you had helicopter parents that used to fix all of your problems, because you certainly don't seem to want to independently do anything.

"why should have to do a completely independent project"?.......uh because all of of your home faculty and faculty from other institutions you have contacted, don't have a project you can work on.................

That's niiiice that your goal is to work with a faculty mentor a on a currently project, guess what that's not working out, so you might need to be flexible. My goal might be to be George Clooney , but I'm blonde so I guess I'll have to readjust my goals.....

I don't know what you were expecting by posting your question, but I provided a very reasonable possible solution to your concern and you just dismissed it out of hand without considering it or asking any follow-up questions. You also missed my point or are unaware that being first author on your own smaller paper is more prestigious than being the third or fourth author on your attendings paper, unless that paper cures cancer.

Only after you responded to my post, did I remember who you were, the resident that was complaining about not getting to do any procedures and you were asking us to fix all of that for you instead of stepping up and being aggressive about asking for procedures. I wonder if you had helicopter parents that used to fix all of your problems, because you certainly don't seem to want to independently do anything.

Thanks for attacking me, it's much appreciated. Quite the contrary. I have fought for everything in my life much more than most people, including even now. Most of my male peers have had opportunities handed to them whether they be research, papers, opportunities for procedures, etc. without them even asking. Guess you have no idea what it's like to have to fight much more than others to get the same thing. Let me guess - you are a dude, and have never experienced this I bet. I show up early, stay late, help out, see more patients, ask for opportunities, get screwed all the time yet don't complain, etc. etc. but at some point, shouldn't I be allowed to have the same opportunities as others? I guess you must not know what it's like to have to fight for every single thing in life.

Thanks for attacking me, it's much appreciated. Quite the contrary. I have fought for everything in my life much more than most people, including even now. Most of my male peers have had opportunities handed to them whether they be research, papers, opportunities for procedures, etc. without them even asking. Guess you have no idea what it's like to have to fight much more than others to get the same thing. Let me guess - you are a dude, and have never experienced this I bet. I show up early, stay late, help out, see more patients, ask for opportunities, get screwed all the time yet don't complain, etc. etc. but at some point, shouldn't I be allowed to have the same opportunities as others? I guess you must not know what it's like to have to fight for every single thing in life.
I think they are more likely not taking you seriously do to the step 3 failure and do to that are unlikely to match into pain fellowship.

I think they are more likely not taking you seriously do to the step 3 failure and do to that are unlikely to match into pain fellowship.

Absolutely no one other than me and my PD knows about that. Clearly people who are not at my institution and don't know anything about me wouldn't "not take me seriously" just randomly. And my original score has actually been removed so luckily that's a non-issue.

Why would I be unlikely to match? that seems like a rather harsh statement from someone you don't know no?

again you whine and complain, yet don't have any independent initiative to personally solve your "problems". And right away you play the woman card. Sorry but not all the bad things that happened to you or you didn't get to do are because you are a woman.
The fact that you failed step 3 supports the idea that maybe you're not doing as well on your rotations or not supported by your attendings because they recognize you're not as academically as strong as you like to think, and not because you are a woman.

again you whine and complain, yet don't have any independent initiative to personally solve your "problems". And right away you play the woman card. Sorry but not all the bad things that happened to you or you didn't get to do are because you are a woman.
The fact that you failed step 3 supports the idea that maybe you're not doing as well on your rotations or not supported by your attendings because they recognize you're not as academically as strong as you like to think, and not because you are a woman.

I see. How is step 3 and my rotations correlated? Not at all. ANd like I said my initial step 3 score is erased given a glitch that occurred. Why you would not ask for more information is beyond me. So now that you have all the information - care to re state your comment? And somehow all attendings, even from different institutions who don't know me, somehow know that I'm a complete and total disaster is what you are saying? They can tell this from an email? Wow that is pretty amazing! The fact that I have already been offered a spot, albeit non ACGME accredited, says otherwise. I would rather do an ACGME program if I can. Again you are not being helpful. I came for advice not to be put down. Just like others have been given opportunities so should I. Simple enough.

. Just like others have been given opportunities so should I. Simple enough.

you just want it handed to you on a platter. No personal initiative.........simple enough.

No one handed me anything, no one gave me any opportunities. Everything I achieved on my own two feet without any help from anyone else, so sorry if I don't have any sympathy for you.

Is it just me or are the millenials in constant need of positive reassurance? I somehow blame mark zuckerberg

Reactions: 1 user
there is a grieving thread in the psych forum....

Right now the IASP conference is being held in Yokahama. If you want to get an idea
about cool current research topics go on twitter and search #IASPCongress2016.

And while you are at it, you might want to follow: @adfurlan, @netphys1, @kren27.
Three smart pain researchers from Canada. Finally, check out the Pain Research Forum: http://www.painresearchforum.org/

Last edited:
Right now the IASP conference is being held in Yokahama. If you want to get an idea
Ok that's a great suggestion. Thank you!

And while you are at it, you might want to follow: @adfurlan, @netphys1, @kren27.
Three smart pain researchers from Canada. Finally, check out the Pain Research Forum: http://www.painresearchforum.org/

Are you in Yokohama? I almost went. :-(

No, but dang I wish I were:(

Some of the content being tweeted is very cool, and I love traditional
Japanese culture.

have you ever written a scientific manuscript?

how much "go get em" attitude and dedication are you ready to put forth.