suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scienceguy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would any one know if it would be looked down upon if i took some time off from a MSc program. Im on a full TA scholarship so i do have lab teaching resp. im finishing up my second semester. First semester i got straight A-'s. I graduated from the same school with my BSc with a 3.8. Overall the school esp the biology dept has treated me excellent, and much respect. Im a second generation student in this department, so they know me very well. this semester is going well but my grandmother who raised me as a child and lived with me unexpectidly passes away from a CVA in the MCA (embolic) so ive been preety banged up from it. Anyway in terms of applying to med school i was just wondering if anyone would have any input.

thanks a bunch

Members don't see this ad.

scienceguy said:
Would any one know if it would be looked down upon if i took some time off from a MSc program. Im on a full TA scholarship so i do have lab teaching resp. im finishing up my second semester. First semester i got straight A-'s. I graduated from the same school with my BSc with a 3.8. Overall the school esp the biology dept has treated me excellent, and much respect. Im a second generation student in this department, so they know me very well. this semester is going well but my grandmother who raised me as a child and lived with me unexpectidly passes away from a CVA in the MCA (embolic) so ive been preety banged up from it. Anyway in terms of applying to med school i was just wondering if anyone would have any input.

thanks a bunch

Ahhhhh....you are my EVIL twin??? :D

Like the call sign.....where in the world did you get the idea for it?

Anyway, as far as taking time off.....that would depend on your advisor and the program you are in. Many students, like myself, had great advisors that are very understanding of a period of time off in the case of family emergencies, etc. In other programs, I knew of advisors that had students who wanted into their programs, and wouldn't hear of a "leave of absence". I would highly recommend you discuss this with your advisor and/or department head to make sure they aren't going to frown upon it. Also, look into your graduate school regulations to see if this type of issue is covered...in most programs, it is (i.e. how long you can be away before having to reapply to the program, etc).

As far as any med school applications, I would say to make sure you finish the MSc program, as that shows committment on your part, and you can always explain the leave of absence as a unique event (death in the family), and I don't think you should have any problems with that.

Best of luck, scienceguy...... :)