Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Germadirk123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I know that the "pre-veterinary" section is for all student interested in going into the veterinary field, and while I have posed threads there before I'm looking more wisdom from Veterinarians who have been through these stages where many of us are stuck stressing!

I am a pre-vet student currently at LSU looking for more animal/veterinary experience, and I was wondering anyone had any suggestions of how to obtain more experience?

This is what I have so far.....

1) Working at a small animal clinic since 2008
2) Volunteer at a shelter( walk/bathe dogs)
3) Currently working in the vet school in the biomedical science dept

At the moment I do not have any large-animal experience, but I am looking to obtain some in the near future (hopefully!)

Thank you for your help and time!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you already have pretty good experience. I mean get some LA experience if you can but, don't stress out about it.

the pre-vet board really is where you will find that info. most of us were pre-vets on the boards and did post our stats, and many of us still drift back and make suggestions.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you'd like some large animal experience, one opportunity is working on the Equine Critical Care Team at the LSU vet school on nights/weekends. It's only a couple of shifts per month (or at least it was when I did it), and you get lots of experience during foal season.

Another thing, and I know this is just small animal, but you could look into helping out at Yelp BR's adoption days every weekend around Baton Rouge.

Hope this helps! Good luck :)

Practically all of my large animal experience came from my Intro to Animal Science classes and other large animal production-type classes I took for my undergrad major. I'm not sure if you've considered any in-class training with large or food animals, but that counts just as much as if you obtained it outside of school hours. However, keep in mind that it wouldn't count for "veterinary" experience, unless supervised by a vet, but it certainly counts under general large/food animal experience.

Also, are you involved in an large animal-focused clubs or organizations within the Ag Department? Such as Block and Bridle or Dairy Science clubs? I'm assuming since you're pre-vet that you are already in the pre-vet club, but unfortunately this club is often geared toward the vet school admissions aspect, rather than furthering your animal experience. It would be helpful if you're concerned about experience to get involved in one of these clubs and do the wet labs they have planned throughout the semester, for extra experience.