Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlconner2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I am applying for PT schools in the fall and I am beginning to get very nervous. I have a 3.52 overall GPA and a 3.2 in my pre-requisites (give or take a little depending on the pre-req. at each school). I have a C in chemistry and a B in both Anatomy and physiology. I am really worried that this is going to hurt me in the long run. Also, I did really bad on the reading portion of the GRE. I got a 310 Verbal and 620 Quant. I have not received my writing results yet. I am from NC and plan on applying to school anywhere from Fl-VA and some in TN. I want to narrow it down to 15 and I really want them to be ones that will actually look at me. I am really nervous and could really use some advice from everyone! Thanks so much!! If you need more info let me know!!

Oh, and I have around 75 observation hours right now. They are in Pediatrics, Outpatient and In Home Care. I also have a lot of extracurricular activities!!

Members don't see this ad.

Take a look at WCU and Hampton and even Winston-Salem. I would call the schools and ask them about your GRE though--you may need to retake it.

Good luck!

Kcrat, thank you so much. I hope that I will not have to retake the GRE. It was very stressful for me!! I am a horrible test taker!! I am looking into WCU and WSSU. I have not heard of Hampton though but will definitely take a look!! Thank you so much for responding!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I raised my Verbal GRE score 180 points using the Kaplan flash cards. I too stink at those darn timed tests! My GPA helped me land on a waitlist (3.77 overal 3.64 prereq) I've completed my first year and have a 3.7 GPA. Those tests don't factor in how hard I will work to be successful at my career.

I don't know any of the schools on the east coast, but if I may suggest a few things...

Honestly I would consider retaking the GRE. Scoring in the 50th percentile (V450 Q550) will definitely increase your chances of being accepted most places. I can't say that you won't get test anxiety again, but retaking the GRE knowing you have a decent score already will give you the confidence to boost your numbers. There's an APP called InteliVOCAB that really helped me increase my knowledge of vocabulary. Check it out.

I wouldn't worry at all about the specific grades. They want to make sure you have a BASIC fundamental understanding of the general math and sciences, not to mention you will be taking advanced Anatomy and Physiology classes your first year.

Lastly, may I also suggest a lot more hours of observation. It's AWESOME that you have observed in a few different places, but schools will want to know whether or not you spent the time really researching for yourself if Physical Therapy is right for you.

GOOD LUCK

I'm in the same position. Just keep your head up there's definitely a school out there for you! I've been looking on the ptcas website and making a list of schools that had lower average GPAs and that do not require the GRE. GOODLUCK!

Thank you so much everyone. I am really thinking about retaking the GRE but I am so busy and I honestly do not think I would improve my verbal score. I used the flash cards and kaplan book before the first one but I am just an awful test taker! I am going to try and get another few hundred hours of observation in this semester.

I did have a question about being accepted into school. I am taking 2 pre requisite courses in the fall and I am going to try and get a lot more observation in. Will this effect enrollment into schools since some people will be completely finished and others not until December. I know that it says specifically that all courses are not required to be finished until December, I just didn't know if schools would penalize those who take advantage of that or do they look at everyone fairly?

Also, which schools do not require the GRE? I thought all PT schools required it?!! Learn something new everyday!!

Right now I am looking at:

WSSU, WCU, Lynchburg, Emory, Tennessee State, Duke, Old Dominion, WVU, N. Florida and a few others but I am still trying to make some decisions.

I plan on applying to WSSU for early decision if I do that. I am still trying to decide if ED is a good route to go or if I should just wait until regular enrollment.

Thanks again everyone. It really helps to hear what other people think that know exactly what you're going through.

I would either retake the GRE or apply to schools that don't require it.

Understand that you are going to have to take tests until you graduate PT school and then still have to take the licensing test, so being a "terrible test taker" is something you are going to have to work on.

I would concentrate mainly on grades. Getting several hundred hours of observation does not put you above people who have better grades. The admissions committees know that we are severely limited in what we are allowed to do on observations so it's not like you are gaining actual work experience. Meet the cut-off for observation hours and spend the rest of the time improving academically.