Suicide to pursue this dream?

Started by Mia1994
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mia1994

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello.
I’m an 18 year old freshman who is currently studying English and Psychology at Western University. For some reason, I know have the urge to pursue a career in medicine however, there are certain factors that is stopping me. As far as Science goes, I only took grade 11 Chemistry which I don’t remember a thing. I haven’t took:
1. Grade 11 Biology
2. Grade 12 Biology
3. Grade 12 Chemistry
I’m able to take 1st year physics and grade 12 math in University but overall, I’m behind. Far behind which I feel like its suicide for me to pursue a medical career. I’ve never been great in science or math because I passionately hated it and also, I never did put in any effort. Because I’m taking a few science courses that are designed for non-science students, I know see how Science can be interesting and I’m starting to see how Science is really important in terms of career opportunities. I honestly regret not working hard or just giving up so easily in these subjects…
My brother, who is a Biomed student that is also studying the MCAT, told me not to worry and just study the MCAT books because it teaches everything from the very basics. It’s easy for him to say that because he’s a science student and I’m an Arts student who doesn’t remember a thing about Science so I’m doubting my choice. I sadly feel like its impossible and it’s too late so should I give up on my dream? Is being a Doctor or a Psychiatrist suicide in my possition? Am I being delusional for thinking that it may happen?
I know there are people who have non-science majors but passed the MCAT but I’m sure that they at least finished up High School sciences or took a few science courses in University.
 
High school doesn't mean anything. Whether or not you did well, or what courses you took/did not take, will have no bearing on your medical future.

In fact, I only took Intro to Bio/Intro to Chem during my freshman year of High school, and never took a single course in physics. I did not remember a single shred of science going into undergrad, and I managed to do extremely well through premed.
I ended up doing very well on the MCAT, and now I'm into my first year of medical school and doing great.


Once you enter college, everything is now a clean slate.
The introductory science courses are really "designed" in the mindset that the students don't know anything at all. You'll be fine.


Take a few science courses, see how you do.
Shadow some physicians, see if you think you will enjoy the medical field.
------------> If both of these turn out positive results, go for it!
 
High school doesn't mean anything. Whether or not you did well, or what courses you took/did not take, will have no bearing on your medical future.

In fact, I only took Intro to Bio/Intro to Chem during my freshman year of High school, and never took a single course in physics. I did not remember a single shred of science going into undergrad, and I managed to do extremely well through premed.
I ended up doing very well on the MCAT, and now I'm into my first year of medical school and doing great.


Once you enter college, everything is now a clean slate.
The introductory science courses are really "designed" in the mindset that the students don't know anything at all. You'll be fine.


Take a few science courses, see how you do.
Shadow some physicians, see if you think you will enjoy the medical field.
------------> If both of these turn out positive results, go for it!

There's no introductory science courses except for Physics in my University. For taking Bio and Chem University classes, you would need to complete High School Bio and Chem in High School. I'm considering of taking High School (grade 11 and 12) Bio and grade 12 Chemistry if that's possible for me. Should I not worry about this factor and just get straight to studying the MCAT?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There's no introductory science courses except for Physics in my University. For taking Bio and Chem University classes, you would need to complete High School Bio and Chem in High School. I'm considering of taking High School (grade 11 and 12) Bio and grade 12 Chemistry if that's possible for me. Should I not worry about this factor and just get straight to studying the MCAT?


................Whaat?
I have never heard of a university that does not have introductory science courses.
That is, extremely unusual to say the least.



No, do NOT study for the MCAT. You should really should start doing that after you are finished with all of your pre-requisite courses. And it only takes ~2-3 months of studying to do well on it so it's not some kind of "huge thing" that you have to prepare your entire life around. It's just an exam. Don't stress about it. Relax.

I didn't start studying for the MCAT until my senior year in college. My friend just started studying for it 2 years after graduating from college.


And dude, you're only 18/freshman. You are not behind at all. Many of my classmates here are 26-27 year-olds from finance. The didn't take a single premedical course until AFTER college was over.


Again, relax. Premed is no where near as bad as people make it out to be.
 
There's no introductory science courses except for Physics in my University. For taking Bio and Chem University classes, you would need to complete High School Bio and Chem in High School. I'm considering of taking High School (grade 11 and 12) Bio and grade 12 Chemistry if that's possible for me. Should I not worry about this factor and just get straight to studying the MCAT?


yeahhh......... That's not right.
I don't think there's a university on the planet that doesn't have introductory Bio/Chem courses.

Talk with an academic advisor, because you are 99% definitely misinformed there.
 
yeahhh......... That's not right.
I don't think there's a university on the planet that doesn't have introductory Bio/Chem courses.

Talk with an academic advisor, because you are 99% definitely misinformed there.

I'm attending an University in Canada. Almost every science course (Chemistry and Bio) have prerequisites, particularly grade 12 prerequisites except for Physics (they changed that up over the years). I want to take at least first year Bio and Chem but I need the High School courses to take those courses so that is why I'm thinking of taking grade 11 Bio, grade 12 Bio and grade 12 Chem but my brother is telling me that I'm wasting my time. I'm confused..
 
You should probably move this to the main Premedical forum because:

1.) you're not a high school student anymore
2.) there aren't many people here, so the chance of anyone reading this who knows anything about Canadian schools will be ~0%

You'll get proper help from that side.


Yeah, but your brother is wrong. You need to take the Bio/Chem university prerequisites in order to apply to medical schools. Normally, taking high school courses would be an unholy waste of time. But if you cannot take those prerequisites without the high school courses then you basically have no choice but to take them.

It's not a matter of "taking the mcat." It's a matter of actually getting the credits you need to apply.
 
You should probably move this to the main Premedical forum because:

1.) you're not a high school student anymore
2.) there aren't many people here, so the chance of anyone reading this who knows anything about Canadian schools will be ~0%

You'll get proper help from that side.


Yeah, but your brother is wrong. You need to take the Bio/Chem university prerequisites in order to apply to medical schools. Normally, taking high school courses would be an unholy waste of time. But if you cannot take those prerequisites without the high school courses then you basically have no choice but to take them.

It's not a matter of "taking the mcat." It's a matter of actually getting the credits you need to apply.

For the MCAT in Canada, there is no prerequisites and it doesn't matter about someones major. They only look at the marks, extracurricular activities, MCAT marks, etc.
 
Make sure you learn your sciences well and Ace those exams during college, MCAT is not easy nor get accepted to medical school..everything had become very COMPETITIVE in the health fiel..keep a gpa of 3.5- 4.0 🙂 and you should be fine. Check out the prerequisites for your schools and start ur sciences usually 2bio, 2 chem, 2 orgo, 2physic, 2bichem.2math, 2english..you are so young, and whatever you took in high school doesnt count unless AP classes..usually schools have prehealth advisors that can guide you thru the whole process..good luck
 
For the MCAT in Canada, there is no prerequisites and it doesn't matter about someones major. They only look at the marks, extracurricular activities, MCAT marks, etc.

In the US you can also take the mcat whenever you want. But that doesn't mean you'll get a score worth ****.
Either way, you're Canadian so I recommend you go to Premed101.com
Which is the Canadian version of SDN for advice.

Edit: mcat scores expire in 3 years so taking it now will be worthless.
 
Last edited: