suit colors for girls?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

care bear

pink fuzzy user
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ladies out there:
i'm going into NYC to shop this week for my one and only suit. . .
what color(s) is best?
or, what have you worn?
thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

My undergrad recommended black or gray with a skirt, not pants. And they say <1.5 inch heels are best. (Wouldn't want to look slutty in those more flattering 2 inch heels!):eek:
I think we're allowed to be more exciting with the shirt color than guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my job, I usually pass by a great deal of medical school interviewees; the female interviewees usually wear black skirt suits, light-colored shirts, and black pumps. This doesn't mean that you have to wear a black suit as well, but it seems to be the most conservative choice for girls interviewing at medical schools. Hope this helps.:D

klp-
let's get this straight- you look hot in sweats and overalls... so, no one cares what you wear to your interview. you're always going to be the hottest.;)
p

despite the recommendations i went with a cream colored pants suit. I mean I usually dont wear skirts so why start now. If anything, everyone remembers me. I stand out in a see of black suits. :clap:

Of course you should wear black. Everyone knows there are only two times black suits are appropriate: funerals and medical school admission interviews.

I have been wearing a black pants suit (screw the skirt!) and a red shell. I was thinking about getting a bright blue shell too. I like bright colors and I think they are very "me" so I'm gonna wear them! :)

I'm actually gonna wear a black with really skinny tan/gold plaid line skirt and blazer.(the skirt isn't skinny, but the tan plaid lines are). The color of my blazer is tan. It goes very well with my honey gold complexion;)

I'm going with navy suit, pants, pink shirt. I decided on dark dress boots also; I'm not putting myself through chicago december with pumps.
Oh, and as for heel height. Well, i'm gonna be 6 feet tall. Nothing I can do about it. At least I'll stand out.

Originally posted by Bounty
I have been wearing a black pants suit (screw the skirt!) and a red shell. I was thinking about getting a bright blue shell too. I like bright colors and I think they are very "me" so I'm gonna wear them! :)
this is also the way I have gone, except I have been rotating between a light blue and dark, bluish-gray shirt, both of which go well with my eyes. I think the pants are much more flattering than the skirt that goes with my suit and I am way more comfortable. a large %, oftentimes majority of girls have been wearing pants at my interviews.

Everyone wears Black, navy blue, or Grey... so unless you want to stand out (which in this case wouldn't be a good thing)... get a black or grey suit. Trust me, don't try to be daring with your clothes. Adcom's don't appreciate originality in your choice of suits. Show your creativity and originality in the answers to your interview questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
i just bought a new suit today! it's black with white pinstripes. oh yeah, and i bought pants instead of a skirt b/c i don't want to freeze if it's cold out. plus i don't particularly like showing off my legs! unfortunately i don't have any interviews yet :scared:

I've been wearing a navy skirt suit with red pin stripes and a matching dark red shirt underneath despite my adviser telling me I'd look like a ***** in red. She's an idiot...I've already gotten into my top choice school. Anyway, I think shoes make the outfit. Mine are navy patent leather with white stitching and screw the less than two inches! After being in a soroity and going through rush four times, I've learned that a good pair of heels really improves your posture and makes you look very polished. It's worth the pain to me to know that you look good. I think extra height adds confidence unless of course you're already quite tall. And if you know you look good, you'll feel confident too!

I have two suits-- one is a standard issue black skirt suit, which is the most concervative and boring thing on the face of the earth, and the other one is gray (actually tiny black-white checker that looks gray unless you are 3 inches away). The gray one is more daring-- the jacket is knee-length and it has faux leather trimming along the cuff, colar, and waist line. It's still concervative, but it makes me look slightly different from everyone else without breaking the rules. So it depends-- the interviews where I felt I needed to fit in the most I have worn my black suit, and the interviews when I wanted to be more stylish, I went with the gray one.
Normally, I love colors and funky clothing designs, but I've been always tought that to be taken seriously in a professional setting it's important to go with the more serious colors and all that.
As for shoes... low heel is usually considered more serious and besides, it's more comfortable when you go on tours after/before the interviews.

If you want to be original..

Wear a black (or grey) suit. And then add a little something.. flower, pin, etc. (formal, and nice).

General SDN consensus is that it is better to wear pants than freeze to death (meaning, pants will not be a big negative compared to skirts)

on a tangentially-related note, what about jewelry? is it best to go conservative with that too? i mean conservative as in small pearl earrings vs. my usual dangling & colorful art deco earrings. anyone have any thoughts about this?

It sucks when you see a cute chick around campus all dressed up and stuff, because in a normal situation you'd have something of a little shot, but now she's all preoccupied and probably nervous and tense and stuff. Wait a minute, maybe that means she'll need someone to chill down with later. Hmmmm.

I wore a Navy pants suit w/white pinstripes. In the dead of winter I thought that was better than a skirt.

I think you've got to wear what you are most comfortable in and what you think makes you look great. I am wearing a long black skirt and red wool jacket, with black pumps. This is not a suit, but they look great together. I worked for years in banking and I really don't want to wear my navy or black suits, cause they make me look too much the banker... the separates are more comfortable and a bit more stylish.

BTW, I don't think there is ANYTHING wrong with standing out from the crowd - in fact you should strive to do so. You want to be memorable. Just don't wear anything that makes you memorable because it is slutty... :laugh: