Suit type and color??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuzyQ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok....so I boutght 2 suits from The Limited for my interviews.....both are pant suits and one is a light gray and the other a black with very very light pinstripes. I got this darker mauve camisol to put under the gray one and a cream camisol to put underneath the black suit. I was just talking to my aunt who is a doctor and told me NOT to wear suits with pants and that skirts look more professional......are skirts more professional? I personally think I look better in the pant suit.......oh and also....for the shirt underneath the suit.....should it be collared?....or is it ok to have a square neck camisol?? I know im probably stressing over nothing but I'd like to hear other peoples opinions and what they wore ..Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

SuzyQ,
I don't think it matters whether which one looks more professional. Winter has already arrived and I think if u are comfortable and if want to be warm, go with the pant suits.
There are a lot of women out there who wear pantsuits and still look professional, and btw, it is how u behave professionally that matters. Also there is a thread on pre-allo about pantsuits vs. skirts. Do a search on it. :)

Good Luck! I am so happy for you about the interview!

Hi!

My interview suit is also from The Limited, but it's last year's model....

I chose to wear a skirt that hit right at the middle of my knee. The jacket was a tad longer and I wore a mock turtle neck thing with it...It was the piece they had last year with the 3 colors (light blue, a darker blue, and a grey). Oh and I wore sheer black hose. I only chose this outfit because I am comfortable in it and I look good in it.

At my UHS interview, there were 4 women. Me, a girl that wore a grey pinstripe skirt suit (skirt was shorter than mine)...one wore a pants suit...and another wore a long skirt.

Just feel CONFIDENT and COMFORTABLE in what you choose!

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder what the interviewer would think of me if I showed up in a business suite...

Originally posted by DrLady

Also there is a thread on pre-allo about pantsuits vs. skirts. Do a search on it. :)

Good Luck! I am so happy for you about the interview!

Thanks!! I didnt even think about doing a search!

Originally posted by lmbebo
I wonder what the interviewer would think of me if I showed up in a business suite...

Haha....Hmm......do I sense a little sarcasm here????

a bit. I still need to get an interview..or rather let the schools know that I am applying as they still do not have my application from AACOMAS :(

Regardless, Id probably get them to remember me if I showed up in a skirt. Probably not the right memory though...

I chose to wear a contoured skirt suit with a wonderfully bright cornflower blue collared shirt underneath. The shirt totally matched my eyes, so it really helped brighten my face as well as the whole outfit. I think a bright blouse is definitely the way to look pretty and professional. As far as the pant suit thing, I think that they are equally as feminine and professional as a skirt, and I have seen equal amounts of both at all my interviews.

Just echoing what WishUponAStar said about color.

I attended workshops at UNE last week and during the "application/interview" question and answer period one of the Deans said she wasn't sure who told people to dress like they were going to attend a funeral! (the admissions spokesperson from Dartmouth said the same thing, but it was geared towards the guys who own black suits) She stressed that as long as you are comfortable in what you are wearing you'll feel professional.

I think either of your choices sounds great - and I agree that pants look just as professional as a skirt!

the only color i was told to stay away from was red... my advisor said that red often promotes hostility and anger... but a bright color definitely works. also, at my first interview, there was this girl who looked like she spent $300 on a suit and it didn't really look any different than my suit that i got at a department store. and at the interview, there were 5 females and 4 of us were in pants suits. i wore pants mainly because i hate nylons/tights and i feel much more comfortable in pants.

Well I don't think that anyone will feel as uncomfortable as I did. I had ankle surgery and was in a CAST!!! I had to wear a skirt because I couldn't get on a pair of pants! My limp was so pronounced and you just couldn't avoid the looking at the big ugly thing on my foot. Needless to say, it was a conversation piece for everyone and it "gives us something to remember you by." If you are the only person wearing a colors in your interview, then you will definately give them something to remember you by. Just make sure you are comfortable and you will be fine.

I would not wear the black suit because on the day I interviewed everyone but me (girls and guys) had on a black suit. They all looked like little clones. I think the suit vs pants issue can be a sticky one. Some older people (both men and women) think that a professional woman should wear a skirt. My Mom is pretty liberal and she is only in her 40's but she gripes constantly when she sees people at funerals, weddings, church etc. in pants so I guess it is something from her generation. She said that even when she was in school (up until high school) girls were not allowed to wear pants. If it was bitterly cold then they could wear pants under their dress for the trip to and from school but they had to remove them during the day. When I interviewed, most of the women had on skirts and only a couple wore pants. The other thing to consider is how comfortable you are in a dress. One of the girls interviewing had on a skirt but it was rather obvious that she was not comfortable and she did not know how to walk in heels. She would have been much better wearing a nice tailored pant suit rather than clomping around in those heels and she acted like she didn't what to do when sitting in a skirt. I chose a dark navy suit with white shirt and maroonish tie and suspenders and it was conservative but I definitely stood out because I wasn't in black (even though the suit guy tried like everything to get me to buy a black suit). Your collarless camisole will be fine (I only know this stuff because my Mom and Grandma are super classy dressers) if you just put a simple strand of pearls with it and simple classy earrings.

Thanks for all of your opinions!~I think i am going to go with the gray pant suit I bought.....thats what I feele most comfy in and it also looks classy:D

SUZYQ:

I know how hard you have worked these last few months. I wanted to wish all the best at your LECOM interview. I will be there on 11/11.

NJDESI