Summa Health System/NEOUCOM Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"He said the change likely is because of reduced referrals from area doctors over what they claim are quality concerns."

"Deveny said he has been talking with local physicians groups, including Unity Health Network, which has about 120 doctors and medical providers. The group in January sent a letter of no-confidence in Summa following the change in ER physician staffing."
Yeah that part caught my eye as well

Members don't see this ad.

Tough to decide where to come down on this one.

On the one hand, non-compete contracts are generally BS for EP's because our patient's don't come to see Dr. So-and-so, they "go to the nearest ER".

On the other hand, I hate what USACS has done here. And in this case, the non-compete doctor isn't taking the patients with him, but he is in some ways taking a residency program with him.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't like the potential downstream consequences of a win upholding a noncompete

Reactions: 1 users
I don't like the potential downstream consequences of a win upholding a noncompete
I'm with Wilco on this one. Generally speaking I don't see how noncompetes could hold for EM, BUT this guy isn't going as EM he's going to set up a residency program.

Plus, his noncompete was 1 year and 10 miles. That's one of the most lenient noncompetes I've ever seen.

Well that saga is over ...

USACS won the lawsuit.
Beeson will be the program director

I'm with Wilco on this one. Generally speaking I don't see how noncompetes could hold for EM, BUT this guy isn't going as EM he's going to set up a residency program.

Plus, his noncompete was 1 year and 10 miles. That's one of the most lenient noncompetes I've ever seen.

Agree completely. Was surprised when I read those were the terms

i auditioned at Doctors in ohio Lehigh in PA which do not have reviews and would be willing to write one

i auditioned at Doctors in ohio Lehigh in PA which do not have reviews and would be willing to write one

Auditioned? Is that what they're calling interviewing for a job these days? It kind of makes sense as emergency medicine has devolved into theater...

Auditioned? Is that what they're calling interviewing for a job these days? It kind of makes sense as emergency medicine has devolved into theater...

Isn't it? What with shaking hands, sitting down on the right side of the patient, addressing every family member in the room, telling them "we'll take VERY GOOD care of you", and giving them a business card.

No, it's what some people call doing an away rotation/Sub internship. It seems to be a regional thing.
It's a DO thing. For us lowly DOs, we have to do away rotations for most specialities to get a residency spot. Especially one in acgme land. The old guard from our schools still refer to these as "audition" rotations. In very competitive specialities, like Ortho, you would realistically only match where you had auditioned.

Last edited:
It's a DO thing. For us lowly DOs, we have to do away rotations for most specialities to get a residency spot. Especially one in acgme land. The old guard from our schools still refer to these as "audition" rotations. In very competitive specialities, like Ortho, you would realistically only match where you had auditioned.
i did 5 of them for EM. That one poster mocked auditions but it is very much a one month interview