Summary offense for expired vehicle registration - applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alanseaspan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently pulled over for driving with expired vehicle registration (paperwork never came in to renew and it slipped my mind). In my state, this is a summary offense. My understanding is that this can show up in background checks. A few questions:

1) I've heard pleading "not guilty" might be a good idea because, if you have a squeaky clean record and immediately renewed your registration, the charges will often be completely dropped by the judge. If I plead not guilty and am found guilty, would it look worse on my app than if I just plead guilty from the start and sent in the fine? I'm not 100% sure if they can tell.

2) If guilty, is this something I'd have to disclose in my app even though it's not a misdemeanor (given it might show up in background checks)? If so, is there any chance it could affect my chances? Guessing not, but just want to make sure.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depending on how secondaries are worded you may have to disclose them there.

Ok so I never even knew you had to renew your vehicle. How do you even figure when?
I bought my car paid my taxes and always thought that was it...

Members don't see this ad :)
Med schools couldn't give a f*ck less about minor traffic violations like this.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know OP, this sounds pretty serious, on par with armed robbery. Have you contacted your parole officer about this violation?