Summer 2014 PCAT Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.R721

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I thought I would create a thread for those taking the exam this summer. For those who have taken the exam, please offer study materials, and advice. Feel free to share inspirational success stories! We can do it with the right motivation Im sure!

Members don't see this ad.

I signed up for July 17th, though I haven't taken biochemistry, o chem, calculus, or anatomy/physiology yet. Figured my score would give me a place to start. Ordered all the most recent Dr. Collins guides, the Pearson practice tests, and the crack the PCAT software.

Reactions: 1 user
I signed up for September (i have a REU may-july), and I also haven't taken biochem yet. Currently in o chem 2, calculus and physics 2, but I won't have botany or genetics done before PCAT, either. Did you buy Dr. Collins guide here on SDN?

I am taking the PCAT this July. I have been seeing alot of Dr. Collins study guide. Where can you get it?

Members don't see this ad :)
The PCAT website says beginning in July"there will be no experimental Writing subtest", does that mean there is no writing section at all?

The PCAT website says beginning in July"there will be no experimental Writing subtest", does that mean there is no writing section at all?
No, there is still a writing section. Previously, the PCAT consisted of two writing sections -- one of which was scored and the other was not. They're simply getting rid of the one that wasn't being scored (the experimental writing subtest).

I finally finished my spring semester and am devoting these next 2 and a half months for PCAT studying. I ordered the Kaplan book and will be ordering the Dr. Collins!

Reactions: 1 user
I signed up for July 17th, though I haven't taken biochemistry, o chem, calculus, or anatomy/physiology yet. Figured my score would give me a place to start. Ordered all the most recent Dr. Collins guides, the Pearson practice tests, and the crack the PCAT software.

Hi there,

I am taking the PCAT exam on July 17 also. Where can I find the crack the PCAT software?

Thank you very much.
Good luck on the exam!

Best regards,

Theresa Palumbo

I'm taking on July 17th also. How do you review anatomy/physiology? Does it ask specific terms like the name of bones, muscles, etc?

Hey guys,
So I just started studying today and I feel like a mess. I don't know where to start or how to start and it's stressing me out already. I am taking the PCAT July 18th, 2014. First, I don't know when I should take practice exams. Should I take one before I start studying to figure out what I'm weak at and then take the rest at the end? Second, how should I study? Did anyone make a study plan/schedule when they were studying so that I can follow it? I am getting the Dr. Collins study packet and a Kaplan Study Guide for 2014-2015. I am also planning on watching Chad's videos on CourseSaver. What should I do for reading comprehension and the verbal sections? I just feel so overwhelmed because I don't have an organized plan. Thanks for all the help in advance :)

I took the Kaplan online practice first to see where I needed to focus reviewing. It was 2 points from my actual score, comparing the weighted score to older standards.

Then the real practice tests the week before to get my mindset right. Spent about an hour a day average for a month or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I have Dr Collins study guide but I have seen that not all sections has the same amount of tests , for example CHM section has 14 practice tests while Math only has 8 practice tests . Can someone tell me how many practice test are per section . I know I sound obsessive but , I have found a few mistakes in the guide also .

Just wanted to make sure, there are no more questions regarding plants & animals on the PCAT right? There were still questions regarding photosynthesis in the Collins packet so just wanted to double check.

No there are not questions about plants .I am not sure If they going to ask about symbiotic relationship , that might be possible

Hello Everyone,
I am signed up for the July 18th, 2014 PCAT exam. I am praying to the "higher power" that this will be my last time I have to take this exam. This is attempt #2. This go around, I enrolled in the Kaplan PCAT preparation class and purchased the three practice exams from Pearson. I plan to complete the Kaplan course by the 2nd week of June and then plan to test myself for the remaining month from the practice tests. My first attempt, I performed well in 3 of the 5 sections (verbal ability section, the reading section, and the biology section). My percentile in those 3 sections were above 70%. However, in the chemistry and quantitative ability sections...I TANKED! I scored an 8% in chemistry and a 1% in QA. What got me was time! I am person who hates to skip problems and then go back. I like to solve and then move on. Well, the PCAT does not slow down for you...I specifically remember trying to solve some elaborate questions (which I should have skipped) when I noticed my time was almost up. In both those sections, I guessed on the remaining questions because I didn't skip those difficult questions. So, now I know what to do differently. I am refreshing myself on the material and then going to practice, practice, practice!

I'm taking it July 17th and plan to start studying this week. I have dr Collins guides and will be devoting a few hours each day until the test. I've taken A&P (both As), calc (C), all of orgo (Bs), and many different Bios (B & B+'s) so I feel confident in my prior knowledge especially since English is my first language.

How are you guys beginning preparation? Do some pretests then dive into notes section by section?

How can I study reading and writting since English is my second language ?? Should I kill myself or what ? haha jk . Seriously Im freaking out , should I just study by Collins or do u recommend me something else?

Reactions: 1 users
I just purchased all 3 practice tests , I hope I'll have time to take them all. I have Dr. Collins guide and PCAT destroyer , but I have no idea where to start.
Please share where you guys start and how you study . Thanks.

I've been doing 2-4hrs everyday with a different section everyday. So I'll do like 4 days of different sections. 5th day I'll review a topic I had trouble with. 6th day I'll do another practice exam. 7th day I'll review that exam and understand the questions I didn't know.

Rinse & repeat

I'd love to know other peoples study habits though!

I'm taking the PCAT in September, but since its my first time I want to make sure it is computer based!
Thank you.

I've been doing 2-4hrs everyday with a different section everyday. So I'll do like 4 days of different sections. 5th day I'll review a topic I had trouble with. 6th day I'll do another practice exam. 7th day I'll review that exam and understand the questions I didn't know.

Rinse & repeat

I'd love to know other peoples study habits though!
Thats about what I have been doing. I am not touching any practice exams until I've covered all the material for that section. Then once I do take the practice tests, I can focus on what I am having difficulty understanding. Hopefully it works!

I am taking the PCAT on July 18th but I am concerned because I have not had microbiology or general biology (I have had A&P I and II). I have also not had organic chem I or II (I have had gen chem I and II). Will this be a major problem? I am also wondering where I can purchase the Dr. Collins PCAT study guide and what other study materials are best.

Organic chemistry is a tough subject, especially if you haven't had the classes yet. You can self study the material if you really think you can handle it (online videos from orgo courses from diff universities are particularly helpful, I can link you them if you wish). As for microbiology/gen bio, there is a lot to digest in regards to the different topics. From the practice problems I've seen, there are many questions regarding diseases that would need some extensive knowledge of microbiology. Again here, self studying from textbooks & videos would be your best bet to achieve a good score if you haven't taken the courses yet. If you plan on taking the PCAT more than once, then first time shouldn't be an issue to just test the waters.

Organic chemistry is a tough subject, especially if you haven't had the classes yet. You can self study the material if you really think you can handle it (online videos from orgo courses from diff universities are particularly helpful, I can link you them if you wish). As for microbiology/gen bio, there is a lot to digest in regards to the different topics. From the practice problems I've seen, there are many questions regarding diseases that would need some extensive knowledge of microbiology. Again here, self studying from textbooks & videos would be your best bet to achieve a good score if you haven't taken the courses yet. If you plan on taking the PCAT more than once, then first time shouldn't be an issue to just test the waters.

Thank you! I would love if you could link them if you do not mind. I will most likely take the exam again but I am applying to pharmacy schools this coming fall/winter so I still would not have had full organic chemistry I (no II) and micro.

Also, how new do some of the study materials need to be? I am sure last years materials are okay but I know someone who has some from a few years back and I was wondering how new materials needed to be to best prepare for the PCAT. Thanks!

I think as long as it's post July 2012 ( when they changed a lot on the bio sections, removing non-human biology) should be fine. And the link is https://www.youtube.com/user/UCIrvineOCW
You'll find a lot more than just ochem there, if you also want to polish up on other sections. Of course KhansAcademy, and those videomakers are always helpful as well.

I think as long as it's post July 2012 ( when they changed a lot on the bio sections, removing non-human biology) should be fine. And the link is https://www.youtube.com/user/UCIrvineOCW
You'll find a lot more than just ochem there, if you also want to polish up on other sections. Of course KhansAcademy, and those videomakers are always helpful as well.

Oh yes I knew about the prior plant sections. Thank you so much! I have Khans Academy.

I am taking the PCAT on July 18th but I am concerned because I have not had microbiology or general biology (I have had A&P I and II). I have also not had organic chem I or II (I have had gen chem I and II). Will this be a major problem? I am also wondering where I can purchase the Dr. Collins PCAT study guide and what other study materials are best.
If you're concerned about orgo I suggest buying Organic Chemistry as a Second Language by David Klein. Its a great supplement book that lays down a good foundation. You can use for your prep and even future classes.

If you're concerned about orgo I suggest buying Organic Chemistry as a Second Language by David Klein. Its a great supplement book that lays down a good foundation. You can use for your prep and even future classes.

Thank you! Do you mean the Organic Chemistry I as a Second Language by David Klein or both?

Thank you! Do you mean the Organic Chemistry I as a Second Language by David Klein or both?
I bought both for my classes, but If you haven't had exposure to orgo I would just stick with first semester topics. I hear that orgo II isnt on the PCAT (correct me if I'm wrong). If it is then the reactions from orgo II are easy to learn once you learn orgo I.

I will also be taking my PCAT in July. I bought the Dr. Collins PCAT self study guide and have gone over a few sections during the school year. Now that school is out for the summer I'll really be cracking the whip and studying hard. I decided to go over chemistry for 2 weeks, Biology the following week, Quantitative the next, Reading and Verbal the following. I also compiled 6 complete sets of all sections together so I can practice exams the two weeks prior to taking the actual test. I will also be taking the Pearson practice tests the days prior to the test.... Now I'm just waiting for the pharmCAS application to open up. Hopefully it's tomorrow.

Form where I can purchase Dr.Collins guide???? Please I need help ASAP :'(.

I bought it from the actual website "pcatprepclass.com" for $370. Although your not suppose to, in the classifieds section of this website there are usually a few students selling their older versions.

I will also be taking my PCAT in July. I bought the Dr. Collins PCAT self study guide and have gone over a few sections during the school year. Now that school is out for the summer I'll really be cracking the whip and studying hard. I decided to go over chemistry for 2 weeks, Biology the following week, Quantitative the next, Reading and Verbal the following. I also compiled 6 complete sets of all sections together so I can practice exams the two weeks prior to taking the actual test. I will also be taking the Pearson practice tests the days prior to the test.... Now I'm just waiting for the pharmCAS application to open up. Hopefully it's tomorrow.
PharmCas, doesnt open until mid july according to their facebook page.

I just called PharmCas , they said the application opens July 15, and always did. He said June 3 that's when it closes. I'm applying for early decision program, the due date is September 1, so I'll not have much time to do everything. I hope it will be easier than I think.

Do I have to start my Pharmcas application before I take the Pcat ? Also Can you guys recommend me any way to save time in the math section? I spend around1 hour doing a math test from doctor collins.

Where did you buy your Dr. Collins study guide? I really need to purchase one, I just spoke with my Pharmacy school Advisor and she suggested I do better on the PCAT my score was very low

Has anyone taken the free practice Kaplan PCAT test? I just did the verbal, biology and chemistry sections and my scaled scores were pretty good. I felt like I was getting rocked on the test and I still have a lot of material to go over (especially A&P and organic chemistry). I scored 90th percentile (or higher) on the chem and bio sections yet my actual score (if it wasnt curved) was around 70%. Has anyone taken the Kaplan free test and can compare?

Is the 2013-2014 Dr Collins the most recent version to date or did you get something something newer than that?