Summer 2014 PCAT Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.R721

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I thought I would create a thread for those taking the exam this summer. For those who have taken the exam, please offer study materials, and advice. Feel free to share inspirational success stories! We can do it with the right motivation Im sure!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, may I ask how many practice tests are in each sections? I recently purchased a 2014 guide online but not sure if its fake. My Chemistry section had 14 practice tests and biology had 9 sets. Is this up to date? Thanks

Yes I had the same amount of practice tests.

Wow less than a month left before the exam. Where has the time gone? I still have to cover anatomy and start studying quantitative, mainly precalc and calc.

Members don't see this ad :)
My test date is September 4th. Getting pretty nervous. Just received my Dr Collins in the mail yesterday and organized it by section. Any tips? Should I get the PCAT destroyer? I thought 2 and half months would get me enough time to study. I've already taken almost all pre-pharm classes, all I have to go is A&PII and Microbiology in the Fall, and BioChem in Spring. Did I mention I was nervous? :eek:

I've been focusing on biology and chemistry since I got done with school in May. I'm starting to look at the other sections now.

I working through a practice test one section at a time, and did the Verbal Ability section today. I did pretty good on the sentence completion portion, but the analogies were tricky. How are you guys studying for those? Just practice tests? Flash cards? I don't really know what to do to up my score on that part.

I working through a practice test one section at a time, and did the Verbal Ability section today. I did pretty good on the sentence completion portion, but the analogies were tricky. How are you guys studying for those? Just practice tests? Flash cards? I don't really know what to do to up my score on that part.

I'm in the same boat. I'm fine with sentence completion, but the analogies always get me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm in the same boat. I'm fine with sentence completion, but the analogies always get me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ive seen people make lists of words they dont know then highlight words that are repeated. Another tip is to look at common prefixes/roots to decipher the meaning.

Im taking the test in september (for the third and last time)

i was searching online if there were any changes to the test and i found this
http://www.kaptest.com/pcat/pcat-test/index

i also found this online and its a pretty straightforward outline of the exams topics

http://pcatweb.info/downloads/faculty/pcatbasics.pdf

these are some of the books im using to study
mastering the pcat
Kaplan PCAT 2012-2013
Cracking the PCAT 2012-2013
Chemistry Study Guide for MCAT and PCAT

and the three pearson practice tests

im still looking for new study material besides dr collins, so suggestions are welcome

I'm using the Kaplan book, crack pcat, and dr Collins. Since you've taken it already, how do you compare the materials you are using now to the PCAT.

Im taking the test in september (for the third and last time)

i was searching online if there were any changes to the test and i found this
http://www.kaptest.com/pcat/pcat-test/index

I can't believe I just now read this. That is a huge relief knowing that the passage questions WILL NOT count. It helps even more because Kaplan is the official Test Prep for the PCAT (http://www.aacp.org/news/media/Documents/PressReleaseforAACPKaplanPartnershipFINAL.pdf). :heckyeah:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm using the Kaplan book, crack pcat, and dr Collins. Since you've taken it already, how do you compare the materials you are using now to the PCAT.

well, honestly, they didnt look all that similar
As for the practice tests, i only had a few days to look at them before i took the exam so i cant really compare them
(honestly, i didnt really prepare that well for the exam)

Hey guys,
So I just started studying today and I feel like a mess. I don't know where to start or how to start and it's stressing me out already. I am taking the PCAT July 18th, 2014. First, I don't know when I should take practice exams. Should I take one before I start studying to figure out what I'm weak at and then take the rest at the end? Second, how should I study? Did anyone make a study plan/schedule when they were studying so that I can follow it? I am getting the Dr. Collins study packet and a Kaplan Study Guide for 2014-2015. I am also planning on watching Chad's videos on CourseSaver. What should I do for reading comprehension and the verbal sections? I just feel so overwhelmed because I don't have an organized plan. Thanks for all the help in advance :)

I also plan on taking the PCAT july 18th, and to start if you can make sure you get ahold of a practice exam use this as a diagonstic "template" for yourself. This close to the exam the best bet is to observe how the PCAT structures the topics and pinpoint your weakness. An example is how gen chem may phrase a statement allowing you to catch on key clues as to what formula or phase to visualize and then practice it out... Rephrase the numbers or situations and practice them again. I personally have been utilizing an online PCAT course through Kaplan that allows me to take some practice exams when i want and homework samples that maximize specific study topics the PCAT loves to use. Depending on what classes you have taken, start with what you do know and brush on the basis of what may be new...I know its easier said then done, but youll be surprised what your mind can grasp when you put it into practice. If anything be sure you take a diagnostic test from any source...KrackPCAT, Dr. Collins, Kaplan, anything! As long as you have a starting point you can go from there.

Do I have to start my Pharmcas application before I take the Pcat ? Also Can you guys recommend me any way to save time in the math section? I spend around1 hour doing a math test from doctor collins.

the best way to do alot of those math portions is to "round" up or down when computing your work. If you glance at some of the multiple choice answers many of them are not near a set range of points and numbers. If its wanting me to take a portion and i narrow it down to 29 / 11 and it wants it in decimal form, why not just round 29 to 33? that would give ya 33 / 11 and isnt that just 3? look at your answers and see what resembles a close relation to your rounded method. This works for me 9 out of 10 times! it takes practice but this saves alot of headache and time. and no you dont need to have pharmcas finished before the pcat

It is not sure that the new passages in Bio, and Chem sections are experimental, right everyone? I don't really know how those might look like. I feel like adding 5 mins is not enough.

It is not sure that the new passages in Bio, and Chem sections are experimental, right everyone? I don't really know how those might look like. I feel like adding 5 mins is not enough.

"For the bio and chemistry 48 questions with 35 minutes AND two passages with approximately 4 questions and EACH will be included and experimental" (Kaplan Test Prep pg 44 of Bio). Yes it comes out and actually tells you that the passage questions are indeed experimental. intriguing to note that the PCAT tells you what are experimental for the bio and chemistry portion but comes out and says that the Verbal will be shorter but will have NO experimental questions so will be of much higher esteem to study them well.

"For the bio and chemistry 48 questions with 35 minutes AND two passages with approximately 4 questions and EACH will be included and experimental" (Kaplan Test Prep pg 44 of Bio). Yes it comes out and actually tells you that the passage questions are indeed experimental. intriguing to note that the PCAT tells you what are experimental for the bio and chemistry portion but comes out and says that the Verbal will be shorter but will have NO experimental questions so will be of much higher esteem to study them well.
I read similar things on Kaplan website, but I can't find anywhere on the official PCAT website that tells you those are experimental, so I'm kinda confused.

I read similar things on Kaplan website, but I can't find anywhere on the official PCAT website that tells you those are experimental, so I'm kinda confused.

I believe if you go under kaptest.com it should have an update protocol of what to expect on this new edited july PCAT. as for the official PCAT website i noticed (could have changed though) that a few things had not been up to date other than the new timing sequence and the extra writing essay being discarded. I would presume the kaptest website is reliable since this upcoming PCAT is closely built on regards of what this website is reflecting. But to help set your mind at ease, call a representative and they will personally tell you themselves : 1-800-KAP-TEST

I just got done talking with a representative, and in specifics heres what they said: yes: the Biology and chemistry will have multiple passages. Yes : only within these passages are 8 questions experimental : and NO : you dont know which passages are experimental and which ones are not. As for the verbal ability yes less questions and less time. reason is because there will be NO EXPERIMENTAL questions in the verbal ability portion. Time will be extended in Bio and Chemistry, and only one writing essay. This is the official statement from the PCAT representatives themselves. Keep in mind when i say passages im referring to the short reading they will be inluded with some questions in regards to the bio and chem prortions (like the reading comprehension only not as long and explicit). Hope this helps.

Just to be clear, we will have to read the passages and answer the questions because there will be MORE THAN 8 passage-based questions?

I just got done talking with a representative, and in specifics heres what they said: yes: the Biology and chemistry will have multiple passages. Yes : only within these passages are 8 questions experimental : and NO : you dont know which passages are experimental and which ones are not. As for the verbal ability yes less questions and less time. reason is because there will be NO EXPERIMENTAL questions in the verbal ability portion. Time will be extended in Bio and Chemistry, and only one writing essay. This is the official statement from the PCAT representatives themselves. Keep in mind when i say passages im referring to the short reading they will be inluded with some questions in regards to the bio and chem prortions (like the reading comprehension only not as long and explicit). Hope this helps.
Thank you! That really helps. I also emailed them yesterday. And they said the experimental questions are kept unknown like previously. And I think one passage will have more than 1 questions just like the RC section. And we might have more than 2 passages?

Thank you! That really helps. I also emailed them yesterday. And they said the experimental questions are kept unknown like previously. And I think one passage will have more than 1 questions just like the RC section. And we might have more than 2 passages?

So of the 16 passage questions(8 from biology and 8 from chem), 8 of the 16 are experimental? Kaplans site made this a more confusing topic than it really should've been by posting "they won't count toward your score."

I guess people are just assuming that the passages questions are experimental. But PCAT site/representatives do not claim so. However, in the pearson practice tests they've just updated, there are two passages with 8 questions in the biology section. I have not looked at Chemistry yet. I think some of the passages questions are experimental, but there is no guarantee that all of them are.

How are you all preparing for the verbal section? I tried going through the vocab list in the Kaplan book but it doesn't seem to help

Reactions: 1 user
I have made flashcard of the roots in the kaplan book and tried learning them (little help).
I also read up on Kaplan's strategies which is very helpful. It teaches you the possible bridges for the analogies and key words for the sentence structure. I would use the Kaplan book to learn the strategies and go over review material (like Collins or other sources).

I guess people are just assuming that the passages questions are experimental. But PCAT site/representatives do not claim so. However, in the pearson practice tests they've just updated, there are two passages with 8 questions in the biology section. I have not looked at Chemistry yet. I think some of the passages questions are experimental, but there is no guarantee that all of them are.

exactly. There is no way ALL of the passages are experimental. The claim a representative told me (word for word) is that of each of the science sections the experimental questions will only come from the passages. However, there is alot more passages than just simply "8 questions" worth. So no one has any way of knowing which ones are experimental and which ones are not. So, point being for other people dont worry about so much on the passages since there new... But dont go in assuming you can just skip them at the same time (then again if people did that i suppose it will better the score of everyone else that diligently put in an effort lol).

Also has anyone bought the Crack the PCAT software? Would you recommend it? I'm writing my test on July 29th and I want to get as much practice as possible before that date.

Hi, does anyone think some of the Pearson Pcat Bio question is very specific like which mucous is motile.

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and am taking the test in September. I was wondering if studying the biology and quantitative section using Dr.Collins is enough?

Also, how do you guys suggest how one should study for the reading section? I heard Dr. Collins isn't good for the reading section of PCAT.

How was the exam for those that took it??

Thanks in advance guys!

"...and the rest is rust and stardust."

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and am taking the test in September. I was wondering if studying the biology and quantitative section using Dr.Collins is enough?

Also, how do you guys suggest how one should study for the reading section? I heard Dr. Collins isn't good for the reading section of PCAT.

How was the exam for those that took it??

Thanks in advance guys!

"...and the rest is rust and stardust."
Use MCAT books for the RC

Hi, I signed up for september exam. I had Kaplan book, Dr. Collins, and the Pearson practice tests. I have started studying since the end of May.I have been doing the review on kaplan book and practicing on Dr. Collins and Pearson Tests. I did well on the first Pearson practice test and some of the Dr. Collins practices. Somehow I feel the Kaplan book is overwhelmed with very detailed information in organic chem and biology sections. Does anyone feel the same?

Hi, I signed up for september exam. I had Kaplan book, Dr. Collins, and the Pearson practice tests. I have started studying since the end of May.I have been doing the review on kaplan book and practicing on Dr. Collins and Pearson Tests. I did well on the first Pearson practice test and some of the Dr. Collins practices. Somehow I feel the Kaplan book is overwhelmed with very detailed information in organic chem and biology sections. Does anyone feel the same?
You'll be fine. I started studying in June for my July PCAT and scored a 98. You've already studied more... I also used Collins, Kaplan, and Pearson tests. In my case, my Pearson tests were very accurate predicting my actual score.

You'll be fine. I started studying in June for my July PCAT and scored a 98. You've already studied more... I also used Collins, Kaplan, and Pearson tests. In my case, my Pearson tests were very accurate predicting my actual score.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your scores on the Pearson tests? Not the percentiles but the # questions you got right for each section.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your scores on the Pearson tests? Not the percentiles but the # questions you got right for each section.

the first test... VA 38/40 BIO 40/40 CHEM 37/40 RC 30/40 QA 35/40

I'm not sure why that matters... The scores are scaled for difficulty so it ranges from test to test.

the first test... VA 38/40 BIO 40/40 CHEM 37/40 RC 30/40 QA 35/40

I'm not sure why that matters... The scores are scaled for difficulty so it ranges from test to test.

Your VA score is amazing! Wish I can do that well on that section...how did you find biology on the actual PCAT?

Your VA score is amazing! Wish I can do that well on that section...how did you find biology on the actual PCAT?

Pretty straight forward, not much different than the Pearson exams.... But I've always done well on Bio related classes and questions since I find the material interesting.

Thank you MGM921. You did amazing on the PCAT! My RC is very low. Most of my practice raw score on RC is 21-2/40 *.* I think my RC will be way below 50 percentile on the real test. And I always have problem dealing with time management on Math section.

Pretty straight forward, not much different than the Pearson exams.... But I've always done well on Bio related classes and questions since I find the material interesting.

My RC score on the PCAT was 47... laughable! Luckily I scored 99th percentile on Bio/Chem and did pretty well on verbal and Quant. You can still get a good PCAT score, just do well on the other sections.

I did the online pearson practice test and i did not do well so I want to know how i can improve my score, i did poorly on the reading, verbal and organic chemistry

If someone can help, please do because I have been studying all summer since i have the actual exam in september and it had not been going too well

Thank you MGM921. You did amazing on the PCAT! My RC is very low. Most of my practice raw score on RC is 21-2/40 *.* I think my RC will be way below 50 percentile on the real test. And I always have problem dealing with time management on Math section.

Time management for the math section is pretty brutal in my opinion too... Some of the questions just take too long to read

Reactions: 1 user
What was everyone's primary study source for all the subsections?
I used Pearson 3 practice tests, Dr. Collins 's practice tests, and Kapplan book. I also tried TPR MCAT reading but it is very difficult and I can never finish the reading on time.
Do you think Dr. Collins's verbal enough for the real PCAT?

I used Pearson 3 practice tests, Dr. Collins 's practice tests, and Kapplan book. I also tried TPR MCAT reading but it is very difficult and I can never finish the reading on time.
Do you think Dr. Collins's verbal enough for the real PCAT?
I am not sure I haven't taken the PCAT just yet. Did you take the kaplan online practice test? The verbal on it I found was very difficult. Here were my scores for the kaplan test:

Verbal - 375
Biology - 435
Chemistry - 435
Reading Comp - 400
Quantitative - 470
Composite - 423