summer activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ut_stephen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had advice on what to do during this summer as a premed. I will be working in a research lab this summer, but also wanted to get some clinical experience. Does anyone have any good suggestions on where or how I could go about doing that?

I have volunteered in hospitals, but that never is really fulfilling because they are pretty uptight about what we are allowed to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming the lab is in a hospital/research university, just ask your PI from the lab to recommend you to someone whom you could shadow. Another avenue is to ask your PI to find some clinical/statistics work for you to do, and slip over to the clinical side that way. It helps if your PI is an MD, obviously, but most at least know a few med faculty who they could ask.
--Ari

ut_stephen said:
I was wondering if anyone had advice on what to do during this summer as a premed. I will be working in a research lab this summer, but also wanted to get some clinical experience.

Unless you have some type of certification it will be very difficult for you to get a job that isnt patient transport related. Possibly a OR tech/assistant, but usually need some type of certification or experience.